Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Safe Harbors

In your opinion, what impact will the removal of the twelve safe harbors have on an institution?

It has allowed us to work more closely in a team environment to provide a positive environment for the students.

Hi Mindy,

Many participants have indicated that the removal of the Safe Harbors have brought their departments closer together. The overall opinion has been that it places everyone on equal footing.

Cindy Bryant, Facilitator

We have not really felt much of an impact. With all of these regulatory changes, we have just implemented them, provided training and support and moved forward!

I believe that the removal of the safe harbors will encourage institutions to enroll more quality students seeking an education. I think that the safe harbors were created for clarity of what is allowable in enrollment but became used as a how to in paying for student numbers.

My institution has taken on an initiative of enrolling higher quality students since this policy has taken place. We have seen higher retention rates and more successful outcomes.

We have tried different ways at the college that I work at. We think that we are getting there because we are seeing higher retention rates which is a good thing for colleges.

Tangi,

Hi! This is the position that the USDE took. Originally the Safe Harbors were implemented to protect the student and to allow free enterprise to work effectively. Due to the negative press the USDE determined that consumer rights superseded free enterprise opportunities and well it should be.

Cindy Bryant

Nick,

Thank you for confirming that you are seeing progress with the current retention rates.

Cindy Bryant

It has already improved our student quality from enrollment through retention. By following clear guidelines, we have been able to improve the student experience overall and improve the relationship among departments. I work in admissions and the removal of the safe harbors helps student success services trust that we are enrolling students in their best interest and not in our own.

Not having safe harbors are our school will not have a serious impact on our institution. We have a counseling service that is available at our institution twice a month.

Jackie,

Hi-great point! In the past many institutions experienced friction between departments due to misnomers regarding admissions compensation packets.

Cindy Bryant

I feel it will really improve the quality of student and then affect retention in a positive manner.

In my opinion, it has made a significant difference for the positive. The move to behavioral based evaluations has really helped our staff and students.

Todd,

It is good to know the the regulations have had such a positive impact. What is the most significant change that has occurred on your campus due to the elimination of the Safe Harbors?

Cindy Bryant

I believe the impact will be positive. Recruiting efforts will now not be based on how many enrollments but on the quality of enrollments. It will eliminate enrollments that should not have been enrollments to begin with. It takes away the salesman mentality, which should not be used when presenting edcation/training programs that include Federal Financial Aid.

Darlene,

The removal of Safe Harbors opened up a new arena for management and admissions representatives. While it was a positive move I believe that management is still trying to determine the best possible way to manage the new culture.

Cindy Bryant

I believe that the removal of the twelve safe harbors will have a positive impact on institutions. I think it provides for a team enviroment. The motivation to enroll a student should be based on the students success and making sure this is the best fit for the student, not a motivation to enroll based on the Rep's success with numbers.

I'm not sure how the removal of the safe harbors will impact other schools, but our school will not be impacted at all. At this point we are almost always at our maximum sustainable enrollment and do not have a separate recruitment staff from admissions/financial aid staff. We have open enrollment and enroll one time each month, except December, and advertise our school in the local community newspapers.

At first, it may lower their admission/enrollment rate since their representatives used to be motivated by these incentives. Once the new measures become part of their admission/enrollment culture, their will find other ways to get themselves motivated to get the job done ethically.

Guy

Sign In to comment