Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Guy,

Would you agree that admissions teams have now taken on more of a counselors role?

Cindy Bryant

We are a very young school that learned the hard way the importance related to the quality of our enrollments. This concept of bringing students that really want to learn and graduate it is a game changer with no doubt.

Moving to behavioral based evaluations has helped in coaching and training of the staff.

I think that the removal of safe harbors will have a negative affect.

Robert,

The thought of not being able to answer a question is a scary one for some faculty ad staff members. It happens more often than you might think. Sometimes, you simply don't know the answer. In other cases, you may know, but your brain freezes.
Being prepared for not being able to respond can help alleviate some of the anxiety, and help you make the most out of a difficult situation.

Perhaps the most significant thing you could do if you have been totally stumped by a student's question is to research the answer and then include that answer as part of your follow up communication.

Cindy Bryant

Robert,

Hi! In what way do you see a negative impact on your school in relation to the Safe Harbors?

Cindy Bryant

To the school that I work for it really didn't have any impact. It is because it is a small school.

I do not feel that we will feel to much of an impact. We are very strict when it comes to compliance and things of that nature that I don't see anything changing for us. We already worked under the behavior based method of evaluation. Those that work hard, put in the effort, are thinking of what is best for the school, etc. receive recognition for that. I think there are some that will see a change. I also think that some schools will have a negative impact because they do not do things as they should.

Julie,

The removal of the safe harbors that were designed to allow flexibility in recruiting have not seemed to have a detrimental impact on most colleges. This tells us all that the career colleges have been doing a great job all along.

Cindy Bryant

Julie,

The removal of the safe harbors that were designed to allow flexibility in recruiting have not seemed to have a detrimental impact on most colleges. This tells us all that the career colleges have been doing a great job all along.

Cindy Bryant

We have had some what of an impact.Our enrollment was not as high this time around as it was in previous enrollment times. With all of these regulatory changes as a school we have to just implement them provided training and support.

Paige,

Thank you for sharing your school's information with the forum. Even though you had less enrollments did your retention rate increase?

Cindy Bryant

It did not impact our school, mainly because it is a small institution.

We're a fairly small school by comparison and the removal of the twelve safe harbors had minimal impact.

John,

Thank you for sharing how your school has been impacted by the removal of Safe Harbors.

Cindy Bryant

We have not felt much of an impact. With all of these regulatory changes, we just implemented them, provided training and support and moved

Well, since this already happened years ago, I am let to believe it did have an impact: more open, proactive communication about consumer information and student protections, and more focus on the quality of the a retain-able student/potential graduate, rather than just "one more for this month" mentality. So far, looks like a positive outcome.

I agree Cindy, since the safe harbors been removed, Admissions reps and Fin Aid reps can concentrate on quality enrollments and not on quantity. therefore improving our retention rates.

Sign In to comment