Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ronald ,

This is such a great idea! Some accrediting agencies require that students have input into the curriculum. The fact that you have regularly scheduled meetings with students participating is commendable.

Cindy Bryant

Our school requires every student to evaluate the class, their instructor, and the school as a whole. We ask specific question regarding their satisfaction and room to leave remarks whether positive or negative. We have students complete these evaluations on a regular basis. We also allow them to be left anonymously or add their name.
Each student is also made aware they can speak with the program director at anytime during their time with us. He has an open door policy.

I believe each student is comfortable enough to use one of these tools.

We have on a regular basis a classroom surveys from students (all of them anonymous)along with regular procedures for complaints clearly stated in the school catalog

We have on a regular basis a classroom surveys from students (all of them anonymous)along with regular procedures for complaints clearly stated in the school catalog

Carlos,

Excellent, surveys that are done on a regular basis that are analyzed often have the ability to impact a school's positive growth.

Cindy Bryant

The process is outlined in the school catalog/student handbook. Contents of the catalog and handbook are reviewed with employees and students.

Our institution follows the guidelines and standards of both our national accreditor and state regulatory agency. If after remediation, a solution is not found at the campus level, then our corporate offices would intervene.

Caterina,

Great point! Thank you for reminding us that accreditors and state regulatory agencies provide colleges with detailed guidelines regarding student complaints. For instance, in Texas not only does TWC provide guidelines for student complaints these guidelines must be in the catalog and posted in a highly visible area. What about other states?

Cindy Bryant

IN my institution we have in place a hotline students can call, in addition to access to the campus director to speak to directly.

Andrew,

A student hotline is a wonderful way to let students know that they have the freedom to report indiscretions. It also sends a message to the students that the school is ethical and has nothing to hide.

Cindy Bryant

At the institution I work with complaints are addressed as soon as they are logged (usually within 24hours).
All students are given the complaint formality outline when admitted as well as it is posted in the student lounge area.
Complaints can be logged with the teacher (or if they do not want to be named) can be left anonymously in a drop box that is checked daily.
Meetings are arranged to ensure that the complaint is understood and addressed and satisfied. Unfortunately not every complaint is valid and sometimes students have unrealistic expectations but the mediation process hopefully allows for clarity making the situation satisfactory for all parties involved.

When I was in grad school. There were moments, I needed my educator to resolve issues. However, once we talked, I felt like he wasn't be able to respond due to school policies. So I would write formal letters to the school director but she wouldn't respond as well and just email the letter back to the educator. What can a student do here? As students become easily frustrated if not understood or listened to.

We have a compliance department that regularly checks files on weekly basis. Student data is also high priority to secure because FERPA at all times.

Shannon,

Thank you so much for sharing your colleges complaint process. It is wise to offer several vehicles in which a student may air their complaint.

Cindy Bryant

Jeffrey,

Many people feel that compliance is important during an accreditation or licensure visit NOT TRUE, compliance is an ongoing process. Bravo for having a compliance team who reviews files regularly.

Cindy Bryant

Establishing open communication with the student is key. From the moment the student starts school, to their classroom experience with faculty. Sustaining open door policies, having the student issue addressed and keeping record of the formal complaint all lead to effective conflict resolution.

Joanne,

Many complaints can be avoided if the college has an "open door" policy. Open doors can lead to open lines of communication.

Cindy Bryant

We are an small school and of course we are paying very serious attention to any complaint. In my personal experience, our open door policy works very well with all students. The first positive thing I have felt is that the student knows that his opinion it is always important for us. When the complaint is not valid for any reason, we take the time to make our student to understand the reason why we have certain rules or why we are following certain lineaments in order to accomplish our goals. Direct communication in between teachers and students are extremely important to avoid rumors or just to avoid unnecessary complaints.

I also agree and I advise my new studend that not only myself, but other admissions reps in my department are also here should a student have a concern or an issue. I let that student know they are my top priority and should there ever be an issue that we will do everything we can to address their issue and concern looking for a postive outcome for all involved.

Tony,

As a small school your reputation is very important. Addressing student complaints is critical and the higher your student satisfaction the better. Word of mouth is your best advertising.

Cindy Bryant

Sign In to comment