Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cindy, in my institution if a student has an issue or grievance it is preferable that the student first takes the issue to an instructor, Program Director or appropriate acedemic department. If the student feels that the complaint has not adequately been resovled the student must then address it in writing to the Campus Director or the College President.
Schools accredited by the Accredeting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges must have a procedure and operational plan for handling student complaints. If after exhausting all means of resolution on campus, a student does not feel that the school has not adequately addressed a complaint or concern, the student may then consider contacting the Accrediting Commission. All complaints submitted must be in written form, with permission from the complainant(s)for the Commission to foward a copy of the complaint to the school for a response. The complainant(s) will be kept informed as to the status of the complaint as well as the final resolution by the Commission.
In addition my institution is licensed by the State of Texas. If a student feels the school has not adequately addressed a grievance or concern, students may contact the state licensing in writing at:
The Texas Workforce Commission,
Career Schools and Colleges Section,
101 East 15th., St. Austin TX 78778-0001

Lino ,

Welcome to the forum-It sounds as if your institution has a full understanding of the compliant procedures not only at a state level but also at an accrediting level. Thank you for sharing your thorough plan.

Cindy Bryant

First step would be for the student to talk with his/her educator to try and resolve the dispute. If that did not suffice the next step would be to write a formal complaint to the Director of the school.She should take care of this within 10 school days. If the student still feels that it's not taken care of they can submit a complaint to corporate office.

Kristeen ,

The chain of command is very important and the faculty pay a huge role it in assisting the students in following this protocol. There are additional strategies that are proven effective such as open door policies, suggestion boxes, etc.

Cindy Bryant

Presently, there is a student complaint program in place to ensure that students' complaints are addressed timely and appropriately. It consists of a hotline as well as an email and postal address where students can submit their complaints. Complaint investigations must start promptly within 24 hours.

Samone,

Welcome to the forum! The hotline is an effective tool for reporting complaints. Students and employees may feel more comfortable sharing their concerns via telephone or email.

Cindy Bryant

Complaint procedure is printed in our school catalog where as procedure is posted on the student bulletin board, therequired step students have to follow.It isclearly indicate that all the complaint must be in writing.

Our institution has an open door policy. When a student has a complaint they are from day one encouraged to reach out to an advisor to get them to the appropriate department. Once there, they will be assisted or transfered to management for more serious issues.

Adam,

Hi. Welcome the Forum. Do you feel that the open door policy is effective at your school? Please provide examples.

Cindy Bryant

I find it is very effective. Nothing frustrates a student more than not being able to get answers or speak to the appropriate people.

Just this week an upset student spoke with me in regards to a financial aid issue. Being able to get him directly to a manager of financial aid got his questions answered, and concerns addressed. The student called me back shortly after thanking me for getting him assitance so quickly.

A willingness to help, be honest, and be transparent goes a long way.

We encourage students to connect with their professors first to attempt to resolve whatever issue they may have in classes. They are also able to connect with their Success Coach,who advising them on the next steps to take.

Brandi,

I strongly support the instructional team being the first level in resolving complaints. Many times complaints may extend beyond the scope of the classroom and faculty should always be encouraged to move the complaints to the appropriate level. I love the title Success Coach.

Cindy Bryant

At my institution each student is assigned an Admissions Advisor and once enrolled and admitted a success coach. These two people are always reachable via email and on the phone during the day for students to submit complaints too and resolve in a timely manner as quickly as possible using the resources and information given to them by the institution and student.

Zach,

Thank you for sharing such a great practice, a success coach sounds like a great idea. Students need someone to reach out to quickly if a crisis arises. Being able to discuss ideas and strategize with someone may be the difference in staying in schools or not.

Cindy Bryant

At my institution we feel open communication is the biggest opportunity for student success and happiness. From the time of application the student will be assigned an Admissions Advisor and Financial Aid Advisor to help them along thier journey. The Admissions Advisor can assist the student at any time with complaints but if it is beyond them we then follow a policy of getting the student to a Manager, then Director, the VP, and so on. Once a student is enrolled in class they are assign a Success Coach to help them succeed as a student. As a student we really encourage them to reach out to the instructor first and from there the Success Coach. Similar to the Admissions and Financial Aid the student has the opportunity to talk to Managers and beyond.

Our school has a grievance policy listed in the school catalog and also on our website. Upon enrollment the student is asked to read and sign this policy in the presence of the school administrator. That signed policy then goes in their personel file. This policy states how a grievance will be handled on the individual level then administration level. If the conflict is not resolved the policy also has the name, telephone number and street address of the state board of massage therapy.

Gloria,

Hi! It is really great that you have students sign off on the grievance policy at your campus. It's important to remind your students about their rights now and then: Students should always request a meeting if they have a concern.

Cindy Bryant

Students are provided the school's Grievance Policy which includes a discussion with the faculty or staff person directly involved in the complaint. If not resolved at this level, the Director and/or Academic Dean are to be contacted, the complaint provided in writing including a suggested resolution, and the document and agreed-upon resolution recorded and maintained for review.

Gail,

Thank you for sharing your school's complaint policy. It is parentage that your school has taken much time to develop a policy that provides guidance on 360 degree level.

Cindy Bryant

At our institution we have a standard in place for the student to complain. The student is to follow the chain of command. The procedure is to have the student voice a concern to the instructor first. If not satisfactory solution, then the instructor's superviser which is usually a Department Chair. If the student is not happy yet, then a meeting with the instructor, department cahir, Dean and the student. Moving on up the line to the President of the college. Sometimes though the student believe they should not comply with the steps and try to go to the top. Happily, the president is very understanding of the student's thought process and then responds to the student's demands by discovering if the student has followed the process. I have told the students in the past, I really do not care if you have the president on speed dial, there is still a process policy in place to follow. I remind them the president will ask my dean first about the process to see if it has been complied with. The other thing we use is in the Student Information System. We have what is called Student Tracking. This allows us to put in notes in the student record. This is a huge time saver. Sometimes if the student does not get the answer the student was looking for they will "shop" for the answer they want. The student will see numerous academic advisors to try to work the system. The Student tracking notes allows each of us to share information about the last encounter with the student, the steps given to the student to resolve the problem and the outcome of that encounter.

Sign In to comment