Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As Internal Auditor, the first three 'points of ethics' that come to my mind are:
Integrity - "doing the right thing when nobody is looking". To me a good measure of integrity is taking the time to complete a task the right way (not short-cutting it).

Honesty - being upfront with colleagues, even if it means giving news they may not want to hear (happens often in my position). I've found this is not always easy, but in the end everyone benefits from an honest assessment.

Accountability - when it is taken, focus can be placed on solving the problem at hand; rather than assigning blame.

Rob,
I like the quote you reference and the three points of ethics. Thanks for sharing!

Traci Lee

The medical field is ever changing and the instructors keeping up on information is vital to our students

1)Patient Confidentiality. It is obvious that a patient expects that information relaeased for medical purposes are to be used for treartment purposes only. 2)Do not chaeat. This could create a problem with patient care and the expectation that the patient has put their very life in the hands of a Respiratory Therapist who may be less than competant due to cheating. 3) Plagerism- The work must be your own so that you have gone through the assessment through analysis phase of a problem and come up with the apprpriate conclusion which may impact patient care.

Terrance,

You bring up a great point about cheating - not only is it inappropriate from an academic perspective but, it puts lives at risk if a therapist obtained a credential without truly knowing the information.

Traci Lee

The bottom line is that we are producing healthcare professionals and by extension we are treating patients through them. The students need to view their patients as if they were loved ones who they are treating. Patients are vunerable and not feeling @ their best. Ethical practice is paramount here !!

TG

Integrity-I have to be able to look at myself in the mirror every morning. I will always do the right thing for both the school and student.

Honest Communications-By being honest and open with everyone, it will eliminate any misrepresentation. Sometimes you must have the tough conversation with someone but by being honest it will not be hurtful.

Transparency-Being open for anyone to see the results. When it comes to fianl results with regards to any business activity, there cannot be any smoke and mirror acts.

Having the students best interest is important. We must maintain an honest and ethical environment.

David,
Well said! If everyone follows these practices, everyone wins!

Traci Lee

Every person deserves a chance. Ethical pratices are deterimental to the success of a student and the institution. If our students aren't successful and then the school is not successful. So we always want to be upfront and honest and have integrity.

Approach every situation or circumstance with honesty, upholding integrity, and fairness to every party involved.

Honesty-Be honest at all times with your team and students.

Integrity-Do the right thing always always.that the bottom line.

Accoutability-Always be accoutable for your action.

Being honest to our students. Making sure that I follow all of the correct policies and procedures.Always doing the right thing

Honesty, Integrity, and Respect for the individual are 3 ethical practices that are important to me.

Honesty, Job and career expectations, and Social Responsibility are my choices
You have to say and do the right thing, give the student objective and resonable industry expectations and then ask them to do the right thing, always.
Develop character in yourself, and then look for it in other people. Motivate by example

1. Setting clear and realistic expectations: I feel this is important because for some students a role model or rules have never been a requirement. We should set a standard across the population of what is expected as compared to what is expected in their chosen career.
2. Accountability: You should be held accountable in school as you will be on the job. If we don't teach this, we are setting some up for failure later on the job.
3. Professionalism: Will yield the desired end result: an employable former student.

Providing students/ potential students the facts regarding our program.

Never ever berate another institution in the presence of a student or potential student.

Separation of duties to avoid misallocation of resources (fiscal, employment, or personnel).

my top three ethical practices would be:
integrity/grace
professionalism
high expectations

I have high expectations for myself and demand the same of my students. I consider myself a professional role model and set the standards for my students entering the medical field. lastly, they must exhibit grace in their approach to patients but yet maintain their own personality and be true to themselves.

Ethical practices that apply are those stated in our mission statement. Integrity, respect, teamwork and loyalty

Tricia ,

Well stated! Thanks for sharing your perspective on setting high standards.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment