Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Marie - I think your statements are right on target. And learning this information is not a one time thing...it's critical to stay current as policies and statistics are continuously changing.

I agree, never try to wing it or shoot from the hip. It will come back to get you later.

I would let them know the facts about the institution as well as giving them printouts and handouts so that they may look back on any additional information. At the end, I would give them my contact information to see if they were to have any questions so that they may think about which questions they would like to ask.

First of all I stress the importance of not making misleading statements and the efforts the employee will need to make to ensure they don't make them. Then I spell out what they will need to do in terms of learning product knowledge, do's and don'ts, compliance etc. so all the reasons for making mistakes are removed. I want them to feel proud that they work for a company that strives to do the right thing.

If you dont know the answer to a question make sure to ask someone who can get you the right answers.

Always think before they answer questions. if they are not sure, advise the individual that you speaking to that you do not know and will find out the answer and get back with them. Always have them ask themselves, "could my statement be false, erroneous or misleading?"

better to take the time to give the correct answer than take a chance of giving false information

stick to providing information that is only listed in our catalog.

I would tell them to never be afraid to ask questions. If there is something you do not know then, rather than telling the student false information, go ask someone who will know the answer.

If they do not know the answer to a question asked by a student inform the student that they do not know the answer but will get the information for them.

I agree.I have been in the business for while and thought I knew it all. I was corrected as industry changes daily.

Kevin - you bring up such a great point! Even things we THINK we know could be outdated. I am a big advocate of having up-to-date resources and references to refer to when asked a question, just to validate the accuracy and currency of the information.

Stick to the facts.

If you do not know the answer, find someone who does.

I agree never try to wing it

For a new employee; I would suggest that you defer to your supervisor, or take the time to look up the answer to any question you are unsure of. Don't feel rushed to give a 'quick' answer, it's better to take your time and give the right answer.

Rob,
Agreed - it's easy to feel "pressure" to respond promptly yet a correct answer is worth the time to research properly.

Traci Lee

Knowledge is power, the more you know and are willing to learn with regard to policy and procedure, the better off you will be. That being said, there is no shame in telling a prospective student that you do not know the answer but you will find the answer for him or
her. Honesty goes a long way!

Richard,
Honesty does go a long way and the follow up on open questions demonstrates a level of service and commitment to students that is commendable!

Traci Lee

If you do not know an answer, DO NOT make it up or guess. Use the experts on campus and the school to anser all the questions thoroughly and honestly.

Sign In to comment