Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This should include a detailed plan by the specific department of how each findings will be corrected, implemented and the steps that will be taken to guarantee this will not become future occurrence.

In a corrective plan, there should be a list of the findings,explanation of where the department fell short, the action plan to rectify and the timeframe of completion.

Each finding should have it's own response plan and time for implementation.

I completely agree with you John, as an accounting major I was told (in my auditing class) that documentation was the most important aspect during an audit. Another important part would be an audit plan/procedure.

Traci,

Those are really great ideas. I will be going through my very first audit next month. I hope it all goes well!

Hlee,
Best of luck - I hope it goes well!

Traci Lee

My school went though its first audit not too long ago, pretty much whatever the finding was if we could fix it right there and then we did. Most of the findings were about the calculation of refund, bursar exit letter had to be really specific, we had to go over the school catalog and enrollment agreement and rephrase several paragraphs to make sure we were in compliance with the state.

Aranzu,
I applaud your commitment to these prompt corrections!

Traci Lee

The correction action plan should include a description of the specific improvement actions to be taken by the school or department, and a timeframe for implementation

We have a double-hitter approach to documentation. First there is a Student Advisement form which details an interaction between a staff member and a student, which both people sign and date and ultimately goes into the student's file. Then the staff person puts notes into the student's electronic contact history, where this information will be accessible to other staff members.

I think it should include the full scope of the finding, what caused the situation that resulted in a finding (for instance, why the POG wasn't on file), the department(s) involved, immediate corrective action if possible, and a corrective action procedure to assist with avoiding the problem going forward.

Knowing what caused the situation, that led to the finding, can in some cases indicate that it was not an indication of faulty record-keeping.

Mala,

I have frequently had to refer to the electronic contact history. It is a useful "double-hitter" approach, as you mention.

Traci Lee

The things that should be included in a corrective action plan are checklist, initials, monthly or quarterly checkups.
Checklist- this list will have all the paperwork that should be in the folder to have a complete folder once the student starts.
Initials- after each department if necessary to initial their department requirements to have a complete folder
Monthly/Quarterly Audits- Instead of waiting until the big audit lets set a date to go over 50 files to so if they would pass an audit.
If this plan of action is set in place than it would make auditing time less stressful .

The cause of the issue and the solution, then how to measure progress.

The plan should cite the problem and then provide information on how the issue will be resolved. If it is information on student records.
What will be implemented to get the info, place a time-line on when it will be completed. Updating student records with data for contacting the student - much needed corrective plan - how often should the demographic info be updated,what process will be used to make sure the school can contact the student, ex; correct phone numbers, addresses, emergency contacts.
It's very frustrating when a student can not be contacted because new demographic info is not on file ( new phone number or address )

Ceola,

Great point on the contact information! I have seen many schools struggle with processes and policies to ensure having current contact info on students. If anyone reading this has a good "best practice" that works well, please share it here!

Traci Lee

I believe that the corrective actions plan should include and address the specific points found, the reason for non-compliance, and the timeframe to correct the issues.
these can most likely be broken down to short, mid and long term corrections.
some deficiencies may fall into more than one timeframe and therefore can have a quick reaction to become satisfactorily compliant, and then a longer goal of implementing new processes of improvements.

Peter,
Excellent point that different issues may require a longer term horizon to rectify whereas others may be addressed more promptly. Good suggestion to break them down into these different time frames for corrective action.

Traci Lee

I would ask for more documentation to support all key measures. You can never have enough supporting documents to show every avenue has been taken to fullfill the needs of a required field.

Hi Tracy,
At a minimum the corrective action should:
1) address the root coause of the issue identified. Even though the audit department might provided a recommendation, other alternatives could effectively address the risk situation identified. The corrective action need to be specific actions such as a new review procedure or approval, training, modification of a process flow, new or modification to a information system programming.
2) states clearly who is the responsable party(ies). There might be corrective action that might require the participation of multiple areas. If the case, the corrective action must list the name and position of each responsible parties.
3) specifies a due date. Deadlines self established by the responsible parties increases the commitment with it by the parties who have to accomplish it. Once the period of time is reasonable/accepatble, it establishes clear goals. In addition, this practice provides guidance to the internal audit follow-up procedures. Specifically, per observation the IA can better program when is more appropriate to start a follow-up process in reasonable alignment with managememt.

Sign In to comment