Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sometimes I want to listen

Sometimes I want to listen but I have time constraints that keep me from fully listening. The students I am referring to are the ones that just want to come in and unload about their day. My office is inside the job center where closing the door does not always deter a student even if they can see you are busy. I don't want them to feel I don't care because that's not true. What do you do?

Janet, that is a great point. It sounds like you are really interested in the student and want to help them but sometimes just don't have time. I wonder, what have you tried before?

Shannon Gormley

As the Director of Admissions, I have students constantly wanting to speak to me about a variety of things, or they just want to say hello. My door and the blinds to my window remains open. If my blinds and the door are closed, the student's are aware that I'm in an interview. Out of respect for the Admission's process, they won't knock on the door; because they remember when I interviewed them, how I respected their privacy by not taking any calls during my interview,I gave them my undivided attention. My emphasis was strictly on the recipient of the information at that time. Outside of my office is where are library is located, and you can hear a pin drop the student's are so quiet and respectful.

brenda,
Thank you for sharing your experiences. My sense is that you continue to develop relationships with your students well beyond the initial admissions process and because of that they feel comfortable coming to you and continuing to share their experiences. Keep up the good work.

Dr. Jean Norris

It is great that you develop these relationships! It seems like you really do want to listen to these students and that you really do care, but the busyness of day to day life keeps you from being "all things to all people." Maybe, you could have all of your students on some kind of an emailing list, and you can send out things to them all on a weekly basis in one blanket message. Something that shows that you still care about them and their success, but does not hinder you from doing the same day to day things.

I used to send out a "best practices" email once a month to my students, something that would remind them of an upcoming event or a tip that would assist them in their classes: time management, APA format and also Networking were some of the topics that I would find information or articles about, and send to them in a mass email. To personalize this a little bit, you could always have a list of birthdays for the month and that way they will feel as though you remembered them.

What I found is that keeping in constant "helpful" contact with my students would assist me in creating the types of relationships with them that would make them feel comfortable talking about me to their friends and family who might also want to go back to school! Good way to develop some Personally Developed Leads!

This worked for me in being able to "be there" even if I couldn't always "be all there" for my students!

Hope that this helps!

Keep the door closed when you are busy and place or put up blockers so the student cannot fully see you. That being said, make sure you have visiting hours posted on your door and make sure your door is fully open. I have been able to make this work well in the past.

Charles,

These are some great visual cues to communicate when you are 100% open and available. Thanks for sharing!

Dr. Jean Norris

At my school we have this problem also. I am constantly running in and out of the school and have appointments with clients, need to make phone calls, or do other tasks that need to be done. The students just come into my office like I have all of the time in the world for them. I have asked that the students make an appointment to speak with me. That way I can have a time for them where I can give my full attention to their problem. I try my best to actively listen, provide empathy, and help to understand where the student is coming from. Making appointments with students has really helped me and my students communicate better.

Cindy, What you are doing is a great idea. Distractions are never good when trying to listen to someone, so keep up the good work!

Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment