Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Introductory Module

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Introductory Module

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The introductory course brought awareness to the need for integration of international curriculum into the classroom in order to remain current and add marketability to students as they enter the workforce.

This aligns with what we're exploring and finding in our research on what it means to be a problem solver. Good to see overlap, but it means that there's a lot of work to be done. 

My biggest takeaway is that employers are looking for a new type of employee—one who possesses global competencies in areas such as language, cultural awareness, communication, and business. As the world rapidly shifts toward a more multipolar and interconnected global economy, students must be prepared not only to compete but to excel in diverse international environments.

I learned about global competence and I'm excited to learn about how to start applying the competencies to my graphic design and photography classes.

In my Spanish for Health Professions class possessing skills of global significance and employability skills is important

Glad to see both a global and career perspective intentionally infused into learning.  I like that these can both balance and compound with each other at times.  Education is so much more than just "job readiness" for me, but it doesn't hurt that it can still land you a good career as well!

Also it's nice some student modules may be available as instructor resources for future use.

I learned the four global competencies: investigate the world, recognize perspectives, communicate ideas, take action. In my Latino Studies courses, I can encourage students to think beyond surface‑level cultural awareness, to analyze transnational Latino experiences, and identify how power and migration shape perspective. They can apply their learning to issues facing Latino communities in a global workforce.
 

In this introductory module, I learned about the Four Domains of Global Competencies which are 1) Investigate the World 2) Recognize Perspectives 3) Communicate Ideas 4) Take Action. I am excited to about different way to incorporate these competencies into my business classes at IU Kokomo over the coming weeks. 

I learned that students today will need to prepare for a workforce that is ever-changing. I am excited to learn more about this and how I can help my Internship students be ready to enter the workforce.

In this module I learned that global competency is based on four key domains. That the goal of teaching these domains to students is to make them more successful in the workforce by helping them compete, connect and cooperate on an international scale. I also learned that there are already several resources available to incorporate now, which I was not aware of previously. I really love the reminder that it is easy and important to start small with incorporating global competency into what we already have and know as educators. I will try to keep this in mind as I am looking for ways to incorporate global competency into my class. 

In Module 1 I learned about the four Global Competencies: 

-Investigate the world

-Recognize perspectives

-Communicate ideas

-Take action

I will be using keeping these in mind as my colleague, friend, and international collaborator and I build our project for the Global Teaching & Learning Academy of which I am a fellow this year. My freshman W200 Teaching with Technology students will be virtually collaborating with my colleague's students in Turkey to co-create a Bitmoji Classroom - Professional Learning Network (PLN). Our students will be exchanging ideas, balancing and understanding each other's perspectives, and will be essentially exploring a bit of one another's world (Turkey and US) through curriculum design.

I learned how this course will go as well as what Global Competence is. I really am excited on expanding my knowledge on the topic.

Internationalization is new to me!

Others perspectives are important also.

It took me forever to figure out how to post on this discussion, which is what this course is about.  Different perspectives on even how systems work.  I am looking forward to figuring out how to internationalize my courses without repetition of the same type of assignments.  I want to make sure students are getting reinforcement and not just repetition.

I learned what will be expected from this course. I am not yet sure how I will apply it, but I'll be looking for ways that suit my students and subject matter.

Good overview. Happy to see there will be some ready made content as a jumping off point for students.

This introduction opened my thoughts to some new ways to engage my students. In hospitality, there are many opportunities to enhance the curriculum by adding a global perspective. I'm looking forward to doing a deeper dive into the concepts that will engage my students, and help them connect globally.

I really hope this program can help me add another layer to my curriculum in medical laboratory technology.  Through increased tourism and immigration, our students and healthcare workers need to be ready to face issues that we may not typically see in the United States.  I also have a masters in public health and frequently use global health topics in my coursework.  I'm really excited to see what I can bring to my students from this program.

Sign In to comment