Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Internationalizing Your Instruction

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Internationalizing Your Instruction

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I learned several strategies on how to create an international component in my class utilizing the SAGE method.  I need more practice in this area.

I am going to add a new assignment that involves authentic work, where the students will create a how-to-text and and a marketing campaign to open a new restaurant.

The SAGE fromework is a wonderful opportunity for students to gain hands on experience and really experience impactful learning.   

This may have been the most immediately useful module so far -  the resources and ideas for designing indtruction are things I can tap into to begin revising or designing projects. But the resources will take some time to explore!

The U.N. Sustainable Development Goals are very interesting to me and I will add some of it to one or more courses that I teach.  International manufacturing affects my subject area of Interior Design and sustainability is a matter that has grown in importance in this field in the past 20 years.  

One of the strengths of the UN SDGs is that if you target improving one of them, you will also often improve several others as well.  Inside Bill Gates Brain, on Netflix is a good resourse for the clean water SDG, and IREX has great resources for identifying misinformation (one of the ways that institutions can be destabilized).

Student choice is one of the best was to increase student engagement as well (SAGE)

This module helped me focus on the SAGE framework. I'm a big fan of these four, student choice, authentic experiences, global experiences, and sharing to a real audience.

It also insipired me to change an additional course learning outcome tied to the final project.  

I enjoyed learning about the SAGE framework in this module.  I like the simplicity and practicality of the components of Student Choice, Authentic Work, Global Significance, and Exhibition to a Real-World Audience.  The last, Exhibition to a Real-World Audience, I find is really important for community college students because I find that many have a hard time presenting their work, receiving feedback, and then improving their work. Having project presentations, professional reviews, or critiques with industry professionals are invaluable experiences to help prepare them for their industry.  

I found the content in this module a great guide to internationalizing my course. The SAGE framework provides a valuable starting point to review and assess current course assignments and make modifications. I will be incorporating changes into the team Marketing Plan Project where by students develop a Marketing Plan for a novel product. This can be expanded for them to also select another country to market it into as well as justify "why" they selected that country based on economical, social, political/ legal differences. Further, the Promotional Strategy element of the project can also include recommendations for advertising in that country as well. 

I have a lot of ideas of how to rework my projects in a few course to better emphasize learning global perspectives in a way that is authentic and interesting to the student. In one class we spend time researching and presenting on specific food items and their uses, I plan to adjust the topic to provide more emphasis on understanding how the item is used across various cultures and regions. Then, to pull in the UN Sustainability goals, I want to have the students research the environmental and economic impacts of some of our food items and foodways.

I have recently completed a Team Based Learning training that also has me thinking about how I can blend this course content with that training. In an advanced course I want to introduce a TBL project that presents the students with various ways to approach the problem of sustainability within our foodways. I think through group research and planning the students will have a stronger investment in learning the content and defending a solution they feel is personally realistic.

The UN information was very helpful. I had not thought of my courses in light of how the content applies to several aspects. I think this would be a good way to focus an assignment or module. Overall, I want to focus more content on global aspects. Some courses are easier to think through than others but all of my courses apply in some way to internationl aspects.

I have learned that internationalizing the healthcare world is a lot different than the other industries.  There are a lot of compontent to gaining an understanding of medical treatment within different cultures. Practices come with years of helping patients with different beliefs. Even in today's world we are still learning that all measures of test are now set for both minority and others which are different,  for as long as we have known medicine has been one way for years. 

Felicia

Incorporating the SAGE (Student Choice, Authentic Work, Global Experiences, Exhibition to a Real-World Audience) framework into course design has been a transformative journey, enriching both the content and learning outcomes across various modules. 

One notable adaptation involves introducing a new assignment centered on creating a how-to-text and a marketing campaign for opening a new project. This project not only emphasizes authentic work but also encourages students to explore global influences in welding applications/processes and manufacturing business, aligning with the SAGE framework's emphasis on global experiences. By incorporating elements of market analysis and cultural sensitivity, students will gain practical insights into international business operations while honing their communication and analytical skills.

In order to implement internationalization in my courses, I plan to diversify my curriculum materials by incorporating perspectives from various cultures and regions. This means including case studies, readings, and examples that reflect the global context of the subject matter. I also aim to foster an inclusive classroom environment where diverse viewpoints are respected and valued through encouraging cross-cultural discussions and collaboration among students. Additionally, I will integrate technology to facilitate virtual exchanges with students from different countries and invite guest speakers with international expertise to share their insights. Furthermore, I intend to provide opportunities for experiential learning, such as study abroad programs or virtual internships, to broaden students' cultural competence and global awareness. I will regularly assess and revise my instructional practices to ensure they align with the goals of internationalization and promote meaningful cross-cultural learning experiences for my students.

This module helped me realize that I already am meeting many of the UN Sustainable Development Goals in my courses. It also helped me realize the many simple ways in which I can globalize many different aspects of my courses. 

I learned through this model about the importance of the SAGE model and how I can best apply this to my classes. I really enjoyed the Student Choice and Authentic Experiences portion of this module. I will be looking to provide students with more options for them to chose from along with trying to bring in more guest speakers who can provide real life application to some of our topics.

Sign In to comment