Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding Assessments | Origin: EC150

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Assessment Strategies for CTE Educators --> Understanding Assessments 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Formative and Summative assessment  Good tools to know. I really liked the video the four teachers put together. Great informaion

Formative assessments are effective because they take place during the learning process whereas summative assessments are less impactful because they occur only after the learning or lack of has occurred.  Discussions and support can be created and administed during formative assessments.  Incorporating mastery mind sets are important, so that teachers are assuring all families that learning at the highest level is taking place with their students.

Honestly, I haven't used these blogs, or whatever the right term for them is.  I've taken each course seriously, going so far as to save copies of web pages and taking notes.  And though I can say I have gotten valuable information from each module, the little gems of good info have not necessarily come consistently.

However, this module went deep, and I mean deep.  I feel as if I got a toolbox, with instructions on how to use the tools inside it.  Coming from industry, and so not a teacher by profession, this module shows you how to be a teacher, and what I see as one who would be practicing on the cutting edge of the discipline.  

This whole notion of formative assessments and how far it can go is what I found to be so deep.  I inferred a vision of what education could be, and perhaps what it ought to be, if this is taken to the furthest degree.  Perhaps that is what is needed, since education is so often a point of budgetary contention, not just financially, but in regards to time as well.  Perhaps if education was thought of more as a value and not a rigid antiquated institution, that would not be the case.  I would argue, as long as enough people would be willing to take the leap to implement some the ideas in this module, a change in cultural mindset might very well take place.  Food for thought.

There is a ton in this module so far about the importance and methodology around formative and summative assessments. 

I got a clearer understanding between the difference between formative and summative assessments

Sign In to comment