Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Laying the PLC Groundwork—The WHY | Origin: EC119

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Professional Learning Communities (PLC)—How to Reach Transformative Change --> Laying the PLC Groundwork—The WHY

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I was involved in the ground floor of PLC's many years ago. It appears they have come a distance. Unfortunately, in my current setting, the need to control staff supercedes the desire to use our perspectives and qualifications. Hence, collaboration is a bit of a difficulty. 

Laying the PLC Ground work - The Why:

A “PLC” ( Professional Learning Community ) is a group of teachers, from the same school, gathering regularly, to learn together, to share good practices & ideas. Some characteristics & attributes of a good PLC are:

• Lead by teachers
  • Sets clear paths & goals
  • Builds unity between departments
  • Teams create higher quality solutions
  • Expanded pool of ideas, materials & methods
  • Serves as a ridge between teachers
  • Challenges each other to grow.
  • Confidence grows
  • Should focus on instruction, not content ( process not outcomes).
  • Is result orientated
  • Is a continual process that fosters continuous improvement

A good framework for organizational management in a PLC, may contain the some or all, but not limited to the following:

• What do we plan for?
  • What do we monitor?
  • What do we model?
  • What questions do we ask?
  • How do we allocate time?
  • What do we celebrate?
  • What are we willing to confront?

A good quote was……. Management is doing things right, where leadership is doing the right thing……

It is important to collaborate with collegues and build a good team around you. Networking is essential. 

PLC's are important to help plan benchmarks for everyone.  

PLCs are one of the foundation to teaching and learning. I gives a community of collaboration and networking within a subject area. The main focus should always go back to our why!

PLCs are all about team building and establishing community standards

PLCs are essential for teachers to collaborate, grow and learn themselves which then in turn helps our students. 

My biggest takeaway was the distinction between a traditional PLC where the focus is on common assessments and the common curriculum and the CTE PLC where the focus is on instructional methods.

Sign In to comment