Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What do you know about your institution?

How do you rate your knowledge about your institution? Be specific about what you know and what you are discovering.

After moving from Massachusetts in July,I just began working here at my new full-time job on October 10, 2011. This course has been invaluable in helping me as a newcomer to begin to know what to do in approaching this project of "knowing about my institution", especially since I am taking on a new administrative role in addition to my teaching duties. Not only have I read the Student Handbook and Course Catalog of this small, but growing, school as part of this course, but I have also been called upon to work in Admissions and in Student Services. This situation as forced me to learn the school's policies and procedures according to Florida's educational codes and statutes rather quickly. It would take me about ten pages to describe the many things I am learning in theory and in praxis. But getting a 'good start' with the content of this course has made my first few weeks here much less stressful. As the course tells us, the more one knows about one's institution, the more confident one becomes as, for example, an admissions representative in relaying this information to prospective students and their families. In this case, knowledge is indeed power, as far as I see it, as I move along my new "learning curve"!

Prior to the last six months, I was in our Academic Affairs department where I had been for 3 1/2 years as the Director of Academic Services. This position allowed me to have a strong background in all of our educational programs, catalog, faculty and academic policies and procedures. More recently, I have become our Director,Compliance for the entire university and have a good understanding now of the procedures in Student Services, Marketing and Admissions. Since I am completing state license applications for various states I have been able to expand my knowledge in all areas of the university.

I think my knowledge is pretty good, getting better everyday. We offer 6 different program of study and most have associate level degrees, with different concentrations

Allison,

All resource material must be kept current in order to retain its value.

Patty Aronoff

Cheree,
Thank you for your post and sharing about your institution.

Patty Aronoff

Chana,

Observing classrooms and meeting with instructors can be such a great experience. You will learn so much!

Patty Aronoff

Michael,
Thank you for your words of experience. You inspire!

Patty Aronoff

Pamela ,
Since you are compliance for several states, you can probably attest to the importance of resource material and keeping current. Good luck to you in your new role.

Patty Aronoff

Nathaniel,

Degrees that offer different concentrations or tracks gives students options to refine their degree. Awesome!

Patty Aronoff

Due to the facts that I have been students at college level, and assisted 2 technical school. I have a pretty good idea,of what to expect in the institution that I work for.Firsteable, the administration gave me the opportunity to attend three of their courses in my free time, which I did,at no cost for me, and became a certify clinical assistant. Now,I work for the administration as part of the admission staff. Taking this course have expand my knowledge as far as organizing the paperwork, regulatory requirements, the notebook,the catalog, and the enrollment.The more you know and learn, the better for the institution so, this way you can be in compliance with all the requirements. This institution is in compliance with the requirements for the CIE which is beneficial for the prospective students.

I have learned that my institution is in compliance in all areas discussed in these lessons. I have learned detailted information regarding the catalog, courses available and about the business structure of the institution. I have an understanding about the costs associated to the education program offeres as well as an indepth understanding of the different departments and their roles. Further, I have gained knowledge regarding regulations that keep me and my institution within the guidelines set forth by the state.

I was very lucky, prior to this position I was able to be part of the compliance staff and a development program where I worked in every functional area. This gave a very well-rounded base to build off of for the educational field. However, I find that it takes a lot of work and dedication to remai current through the partnerships I have built with the other directors on campus. IT makes it easier to be able to support my fellow directors in conversations with students and with corporate.

I would honestly have to say I have learned that I know a great deal about my institution and that makes me very happy. I am well aware of all staff and what their roles entail. I have witnessed a great deal of the training first hand which helps me to better explain the courses offered and what they cover, and I am always upfront about any career or job opportunities that may be presented after training when speaking with a prospective student. I guess I learned that I know a lot and that makes me pretty confident in my ability to enroll students. :)

Although I have a good base knowledge of all the departments at my campus, it seems that every day I learn something new. I expect, and hope, that this will continue because we are expanding and growing.

Mirella,

You are building institutional knowledge and will be able to provide a unique personal perspective.

Patty Aronoff

Todd,
It is so important to continue to build upon your current knowledge to be on top of your game.

Patty Aronoff

Lori,
You a unique institutional knowledge having experience in all areas. It takes a whole school to graduate a student and you have familiarity that few have to make it happen.

Patty Aronoff

Faye,
Having knowledge that you share with others will promote the continual learning of your staff.

Patty Aronoff

Alexandra,

Keep on learning! You have many opportunities awaiting you.

Patty Aronoff

Sign In to comment