Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Career Colleges vs. State Schools

This training suggests that it is geared towards career colleges. Career colleges seem under constant attack, although there has been bad press on various state schools. I am curious as to the rules for licensure and compliancy for state schools?

Keri,
They are regulated by the Florida Department of Education under different statutes and administrative code. They are funded by tuition and also be legislative funding. They are in a whole different world as they use the "people's money" or tax dollars. The nonpublic schools draw their funding strictly through tuition.

I would imagine then that they have even more restrictions and requirements considering their institutions are receiving tax dollars. Are representatives in those institutions required to hold licensure also or they not required due to the fact that they are tax-funded schools?

Keri,
Since state schools are under different regulations, they have different checks and balances. Admissions representatives of state schools are employees of the state funded entity and are not required to be licensed.

Also, I would think since their admissions process is different, they are not bound by the same regulations that career colleges are. The type of Admissions process is different. Career colleges are more of a hard sale. There is not selling involved when it comes to State colleges. Does the selling aspect of career colleges cause them to be under more scrutiny?

Amanda,
They are two very different types of schools primarily due to revenue sources. Public schools are funded in part by public money whereas private (nonpublic) schools are funded by tuition only.

They are also measured differently as far as outcomes also,correct? For example, with Career Colleges, in order to maintain our accreditations through our accrediting agencies, we must meet specific objectives that are set for job placement as well as completion rates of our graduates for a specific time frame. Are State Schools also held accountable for placement rates as well as completion rates?

Margie,
The state schools are required to meet the standards of the Colleges and University division of the Department of Education. They also must meet their accrediting bodies and any state agencies such as Board of Nursing. Their outcomes are more finite than nonpublic as they are set by the Board of Governors for education in Florida and are funded by public money.

wow. learnt something new

Oloruntobi,
I love "wow" moments.

I must agree with Mr. Atte. I have also learned something new. I am a current student at a Private non-profit University and am an employee of a Career College.

Edwin,
Thank you for your posting. The forums provide opportunities for us all to learn and ask questions.

State school employees and Career School Employees are definitely in two completely different ball parks! Career schools have different rules and this type of job is considered Education Sales. Even though state schools are funded through tax dollars the retention rates and placement rates of these schools remain closely monitored by different agencies. I've heard that most of the time state schools hire their alumni to work in the admissions departments of their institutions.

Yareliss,
State schools are monitored on completion rates rather than placement. The state college and university systems are set up with articulation agreements and students traverse the system. For example, community college to university.

As an admissions rep, I want to provide a solid service to those students who are looking at their education with a career focus. I can understand the need to regulate, but state colleges should fall under some of the same guidelines because taxpayers are funding them

Tina,
State colleges fall under different regulations and have extensive reporting to the state regarding their operations and student base.

Hi Patty,
If I understand you correctly what you've stated is that Admission representatives for State schools are not required to be licensed. By any chance do you know what is required for a state school admission representative?

Robert,

The state schools operate under a different set of regulations. They are under the Department of Education and funded by the legislature where the rules are vastly different.

Patty Aronoff

Sign In to comment