Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Why Institutions Offer Online Courses and Programs

Institutions offer online courses and programs because they understand that the growth in continuing and/or professional education is an objective that their students can benefit from.

I think an important reason for embarking on online delivery of courses and programs is to meet the students "where they live." Yes, adding online programs will inherently expand enrollments...which is always a goal for institutions. But let's face it. If students were not comfortable with technology, they would never enroll. Today's students, including those adult students, live with technology all day long. It's comfortable, convenient, and their choice. So, why not?! Meet them where they live.

•Accreditation requires students to have technology experience

•Increasing enrollments places a strain on existing classroom and laboratory space

•Students request/demand flexibility

•Other schools in your market have an online presence

It is often useful to survey the stakeholders who will have responsibility for developing and implementing the online program. Since survey work is part of the marketing skill set, it may be useful to have the marketing department develop and administer the survey and report results.

Technology and Information Literacy

Increasingly, state and national standards and accreditation boards require secondary and post-secondary students to demonstrate information literacy and technological expertise. Indeed most employment opportunities in the 21st century require at least basic computer skills. In Michigan, for example, state law requires high school students to successfully complete at least one online course in order to meet graduation requirements.
It is understandable, then, that most entities delivering post-secondary education have begun to include acquisition of technological skills as part of their mission statements, goals, and purposes. Here are some examples. Listed as a "purpose" connected to the Mission and Purposes statements of the University of Phoenix.

It provides flexibility to both students and institutions for learning and teaching in this new era.

Since students do tend to be more computer savvy, it is an easier medium for those who like the convenience but also for those who are working adults who must tend to family, work, and home needs. The on-line course offers them that flexibility to work during downtime or family quiet time - thus accessing during late night hours when traditional schools are often closed but also within the comfort of their homes. Oftentimes, the scheduling of "life" just can not accomodate additional learning opportunities but for on-line courses.

*Increase Revenue
*Student Convenience
*Expand Institutional Mission
*Increase Retention
*Increase actual learning efficacy by allowing students more time in their preferred learning style.

Many schools recognize the importance of providing access to courses 24 by 7. Retention and reach can be improved by being more flexible. From the school's point of view, there are operational and economic benefits. Frankly, it is a win-win situation. Students have flexiblilty and the school requires less space and can increase enrollment. But, there are problems to deal with.

The primary reason for instituting an online program is to capture a larger student base. We would also like to take advantage of funding programs that assist students in meeting their tuition. The flexibility that the online programs offer our students will also provide a competitive advantage.

I thought that the module downplayed the importance of convenience in online education. I believe that online education brings the school to the student. It eliminates many of the traditional costs of the on ground environment. Automobile, travel and time costs, among others, for this reason alone, I feel we should be support online education

In order to stay competitive a school has to offer online courses. People are so busy that they have to fit studies into their schedule. If I have the choice of taking a course online whenever I have the time or going to a school at 6pm on Monday, I will most likely chose the online course.
Besides convenience it is also a financial question. Can I afford to spend money on tuition, housing and living expenses away from home? In todays economy many students cannot afford to study at a school that is not in driving distance.
We face that problem every day. Students can afford the course tuition, but cannot afford the trip and hotel stay for the duration of the course. Even if the course is just one week.
We have inquiries about online courses every week.
So in order to stay competitive we have to offer online courses.

Online delivery courses are a very important feature in educating those students that do not have immediate access to a school due to their distance to the location, the cost for transportation, lodging and other expenses and the availability of flexible free time coinciding with class time. I believe that our institution will deliver an extremely strong and cost effective program at long distance. All of these factors make our institution a strong candidate for becoming a long distance program provider.

Online courses is an easier medium for those who like the convenience especially students who are in the extracurricular activities and don't have the time to sit in a traditional classroom setting. Many students today are participating in many extracurricular activities in hope to obtain scholarships.

Although our school teaches a specific vocational skill set that will always require significant residency training, the ability to enable students to complete the classroom materials outside of the traditional classroom setting is worth further consideration. First, this could reduce a student's residency at the school by 3- 4 weeks (at significant reduction of cost for room and board) as well as allow the school to offer a more continuous class start model. It is evident that without proper support staff, it could become more complicated than it would be worth, though.

There are three reasons why our institution is offering online courses:

1. Online programs provide an effective alternative to the traditional classroom model because it offers greater flexibility in terms of access and schedule.

2. We have a student population that is very knowledgeable and comfortable with technology and working in a more independent mode.

3. We have to compete with private alternative schools to maintain enrollment.

The reason why I think it is important is we are the only school of our kind around for miles and we have students travel from other cities and states to attend our school.

I think it is more convenant to the students.

I think the reason for embarking on oline delivery of courses and programs at a institution is for the convenance of the student.

The need to reach more students, make more money. In case of my institution I think we really want to expand our reach to international students, especially those in the carribean and Latin American

It is a bottom line issue of $. In the current economy people won't be as willing to hire child care so they can go to campus, the cost of gas further demotivates going to campus. The schools are losing enrollment because of this as well as the competition with other institutions that do offer online classes. Online students cost less as the overhead of space, electric, security, rest room and eating area supply, etc cost are removed. The asynchronous format also makes it possible for students to attend anytime, which campus can not offer. So the student wants convenience and less costs, the campus want to be able to compete by offering classes for less cost.

In addition is the sad reality that being on a campus is not necessarily safe. There is the violence that is everywhere now, as well as the health risks associated now with groups, such as SARS and H1N1, that makes going to campus not as desirable as before.

Besides the many convenience and business factors mentioned so far, I think online delivery is probably the only way education may fit into the lifestyle of the millenial generations. With almost everything increasinlgy at their fingertips, whether at home, work or on the move, going to a ground school is fast becoming archaic for many of them! They love multitasking, and school is just one more thing they may like to juggle!!

It is important for a learning institution to train their students to make use and avail the benefits of technology;to help the students learn at their convenience-attending the class at home,saving gas, child care expenses and time since most of our students are working full-time.

Sign In to comment