Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Jason,

Many leaders face this type of challenge as team members personal and professional lives overlap more and more with 24/7 access in both areas.

First, you have to establish the fact that, without the current personal challenges, this team member is an "A" player or peak performer.

Second, although you should be supportive with this team member, you must remain objective and continue to track their performance v budget, benchmarks and/or other team members.

Third, a strong leader should be friendly with their team but not a close friend. Ultimately, you have to do what's best for the company and the students, rather than this individual.

Let me know if you have any more questions or want a more detailed response. Good luck.

Best,

Greg

Hi Troy,

Great point! It is critical that a team leader understands the objective at hand.

Although you would hope to agree with every decision made by the owner or executive team, this is not always possible, particularly in a large company.

It is, however, critical that every leader has some say in the decision-making process and ultimately understands why the decision was made, even if all individuals do not agree with every detailed point of the strategy.

As you have pointed out, once the decision is made a leader must have full buy-in and never criticize the decision or bad-mouth management.

Best,

Greg

The most common challenges I have faced in team progress is keeping my team away from the negative energy that is brought in from different departments. They are then distacted and their energy levels are lowered on the work that needs to be done within our department. Focus should be on working as a team, working toward the same goal, and getting the job done as a team. When conflicts arise, all team members must reach an aggreement and consult one another instead of having poor communication and allowing others to cause wasted energy.

I have found that having team members that have a lack of responsibility can effect the team as a whole because these individuals don't complete their assigned tasks at all or in a timely manner. That then creates more work for the other team members and can start to fuel negativity within the group. Also a lack of communication or poor communication can cause many issues. If the team members have no information on what has been completed and what still needs to be completed it makes it difficult to reach what ever the goal is. This can either be the fault of the team leader not communicating effectively with the team or with the team members not communicating effectively with each other and/or the team leader.

First and foremost, I believe there must be a clear vision of the end result the team is working to achieve. The leader needs to create a collaborative atmosphere, where ideas are openly discusses and action steps are agreed upon. It is also important that milestones are identified and celebrated as the team is progressing towards the ultimate goal(s). Keeping the team energized and focused on the common goal(s) provides excellent results. Without the use of these techniques I have found teams will have trouble breaking through barriers and producing favorable results.

Daniel,

Good points. It is particularly important to measure progress and celebrate small wins along the way. Equally important, is for the leader to identify weaknesses in the team or plan and work together with the team members to create immediate modifications.

In addition to understanding the overall team goal it is critical that each team member understands his or her individual role and takes responsibility for delivering his or her piece of the puzzle.

Regards,

Greg

Hi Jennifer,

Good points. Clearly delineating expectations for each individual team member will help to establish a culture of responsibility.

A consistent flow of information, as you have stated, is also a critical component of a successful team. Information must flow from the top down and the bottom up.

Best Regards,

Greg

Hi Jennifer,

The problems you have presented are not that uncommon for a driven team on the front operating lines of any business.

It is the team leader's responsibility to direct members back on track and ensure that one or two team members do not distract the entire team.

Keep in mind that high performing individuals are usually intense and almost obsessively focused on the task at hand, which can create occasional conflict, even within the best of teams.

A strong leader senses when the problems move beyond an acceptable level and begins to manage out the source of the conflict.

Best Regards,

Greg

One of the challenges that I face is having some members of the team not "buy in" to our policies/procedures/mission of the department. Their negativity is altering the dynamics of the department. It is very difficult to approach these individuals regarding this concern/issue without them becoming defensive and adding to the challenge.

Strong opinions and stubbornness can impede team progress. All members need to learn when to give in.

Hi Michelle,

This is somewhat true, but I find that peak performers many times have very strong opinions.

As a leader, you must ensure all team members have an opportunity to voice their opinions or they will become frustrated.

Before encouraging feedback, set clear parameters and make sure they understand that you will ultimately make the decision. They have a say in the matter, but not a vote.

Once you make the decision, make sure you communicate the "why" behind the process or, more specifically, why you agree or disagree with their suggestions.

Being part of the process leads to easier and stronger buy-in to the final decision, whatever it may be.

Best Regards,

Greg

Having someone always do the talking and bossing of the others.Encourage liestenings skills and ask for feedbackfrom each person.

A very common challenge for my team is keeping the entire team positive during times of change or uncertainty. It is difficult to keep veteran team members from being negative with new team members and creating doubt and uncertainty which would not have existed otherwise.

Because of the nature of our work, my team members are rarely in the office at the same time. It's difficult to schedule regular team meetings; there is a feeling of disconnectedness. How do you keep the team cohesive when they aren't together physically very often?

lack of participation from team members, combined with negative thinking.

Hi Andrew,

Good points. It is the responsibility of the team leader to create a more positive, participatory culture.

This begins with a realistic forecasting process that includes input from all team members. If your team is meeting or exceeding budget numbers they helped create, the atmosphere and attitudes should improve dramatically.

Best,

Greg

Hi Denise,

Great points. Great leaders need to be very good listeners, which includes creating a culture where all points of view are heard.

All team members must realize they always have a say in the process, even if they don't have a vote.

Best,

Greg

I think the biggest problems I have encountered with teams involve how the members interact.

Specifically. I have seen groups where everyone wants to take charge, and push in different directions.

I have also seen groups where no one wants to take charge and the group flounders because no one wants to be responsible.

It can be hard to find a middle ground, but typically as a member, I watch for either situation and if I am in the first type of group, I remind myself to sit back and be supportive and to encourage cooperation, and if I am in the second type of group, I try to remind myself to step up and make myself an active participant.

Hi Shawn,

Good points from a team member's perspective. Think of those challenges from the perspective of your leader.

Is she or he coordinating the effort? Clearly delineating responsibility? Providing an opportunity for all to have a voice with open communication?

Call back on these feelings when you are a leader and responsible for organizing a unified effort.

Best Regards,

Greg

Everyone wnting to ensure their ideas get across and not willing to listen to any other suggestions. Also, constant tearing down of others ideas or making them feel belittled when they express their concerns or suggestions to the team

Sign In to comment