Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Douglass,

One of a manager’s primary responsibilities is to bring out the best in their team members by encouraging open dialog and respecting diversity. One way to drive consensus is to establish meeting norms so that everybody knows what to expect and understands that they will have the opportunity to have their opinions heard. Consistency makes team members more comfortable.

Dr. Jamie Morley

There are many challenges that can impede team progress. I have experienced lack of participation and communication to be two of the most common. Many times, you have strong team members that wish to dominate the project while you have those that wish to just sit and do as little as possible. It is important to get everyone involved with the project. I believe when this takes place, it is important to review the objectives and goals of the team. Recognition should also be given to those that are doing a good job and everyone should be held accountable for their portion of the project. The hope would be that be reviewing the goals, you would receive buy-in from all team members.

I would say the fear of conflict. I read this in a book by Patrick Lencioni and witnessed it first-hand. Conflict, when managed properly, can be healthy. Healthy conflict also helps prevent group-think. There must be a solid foundation of trust for teams to embrace healthy conflict -- getting to that level can be a challenge of team-building.

Shanel,
you bring up some good points! One good strategy to minimize the negative impact of dominant members, while still encouraging their participation, is to establish meeting protocols. Determine the order of the meeting and set time limits for everybody to state their position, as well as time limits for discussion on each item. This lets everybody know what to expect. Consistency makes team members more comfortable.

I also agree that encouragement is essential. Too often, team leaders do not have the authority to give awards, bonuses, or monetary incentives, so praise is a great way to keep your team motivated. Many team members also appreciate being given additional assignments or responsibility. This doesn’t motivate everybody, so the leader should know their team before determining if a stretch assignment is a motivator.

Well done.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Christopher,

I couldn’t agree with you more. Conflict is very difficult for some people to deal with and there are cultural differences in the way that conflict is perceived. As a manager, it takes lots of time and one-on-one coaching to be able to detect how your team with respond.

Conflict avoiders can become passive-aggressive, which can wreak havoc in the group. Again, communication is the best way for the leader to keep a pulse on how the group is progressing. Once trust is established, allowing structured, healthy “debate” is warranted. Avoiding the word “conflict” and replacing it with words like “debate” is also a good idea.

Dr. Jamie Morley

The challenge we have at our school is bringing Academics, Admissions, Financial Aid and Career Services to work together as a cohesive unit. We seem to be very silo oriented with Admissions/Financial Aid, Education and Career Services all working separately even though we have one goal and that is enrolling, graduating and placing our students. In a career college, that is the main goal of any school. We did have one all managers meeting with all departments, but have never had one since.

I will suggest that we start holding monthly meetings of all stakeholders so we can come together as a team and eliminate any of the "rifts" that currently exist that prevent this team from building.

Some common challenges that can significantly impede team progress are personal egos and difference of opinions. I believe these are the most common because it's part of human nature to constantly strive to improve and want recognition for our performance. There can be team members who want to outshine the rest.As for having a difference of opinions it poses challenges in time and energy to persuade or convince and agree on the best possible solution or method of execution on a given task.

Brian,

Having a monthly meeting is a great idea. It is very easy to get so entrenched into your own department that you forget that the overall mission of the career college is to change lives and help educated graduates obtain good careers. One idea that has worked at some schools is to start eh day with a “water-cooler” meeting. This is a quick, 5-minute, stand up meeting at the change of every shift where the managers go around in a circle and discuss immediate needs. If, for example, Financial Aid needs help finding a couple students, the Dean can be asked to assist. If, on the other hand faculty is falling behind on calling absent students, Student Services can jump in to help. By quickly sharing the resources needed for the shift, everybody gets to know a little bit about what the other departments are doing and become invested in their success.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Dolly,

One of a manager’s primary responsibilities is to bring out the best in their team members by encouraging open dialog and respecting diversity. One way to drive consensus is to establish meeting norms so that everybody knows what to expect and understands that they will have the opportunity to have their opinions heard. Consistency makes team members more comfortable and helps to minimize the impact of strong opinions and ego driven remarks.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Team progress is often hindered by individual opinions. Oftentimes, people get so caught up in doing thing "their way' that they are not open to looking for innovative ways of making decisions.
This can be very frustrating at times.

John,

Establishing meeting norms is a good strategy to keep your team in line while still encouraging their participation. If the protocol states that everybody can write or voice one challenge/opportunity and one success, then it is hard for naysayers to monopolize the situation. Determine the order of the meetings and set time limits for everybody to state their position, as well as time limits for discussion on each item. This lets everybody know what to expect. Consistency makes team members more comfortable.

Dr. Jamie Morley

The biggest obstacle our team has faced is the competitiveness that we have carried with us from our former jobs. Most of us come from a background of being self led in industry related jobs. Out in industry trust of one another was not very common and I find that is the sticking point that seems to be holding us back as a team. As the team leader I am constantly working to overcome this on a personal and team level. I would appreciate any feedback on methods I can try to push through this barrier. We currently have regular team meetings and I also send out regular progress reports showing where we are at on projects and goals. As far as building the team we regularly discuss goals and projects as a group and work together to acheive those. If I can get this team to trust each other and be less guarded I think we could make some serious progress.

Cory,

Protectionism is a learned behavior based on a company’s culture. The best way to break down barriers is to build up trust. Managers can do this by “walking the walk” and being fair with the distribution of resources. It takes time. If any other students have comments, I hope they will reply. It sounds to me like you are on the right track.
Dr. Jamie Morley

The challenges my teams face are lack of personal communication. We teach 3 seporate 5 hour shifts per day. This causes many inconsistencies in achieving continuity and overall consistency. I am trying to actively involve everyone, listen to their ideas and work towards solution. We also deal with physical product which must be maintained daily for the courses to operate correctly. This also causes conflict, due to poor communication within the team. No-on seems to own their actions.

Jon,

This is a common problem at many career colleges, where faculty don’t have time between classes to interact with one another. Your situation sounds similar to ones in culinary programs, where the use of food by one session impacts the results of the next. One effective tool is to have each session responsible for assisting the next session with the physical product. Have the students leave notes for the incoming students and faculty leave notes for the incoming faculty. This not only bolsters communication but allows them to practice valuable team working skills that are important in the workforce.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I think the challeneges that face team builing is turn over, ecpecailly if a Team is running smoothly. I have a team of 4, and everyone is metting their benchmarks, are positive and productive. If one member was to leave, the team dynamic would be off, and the challenege would come from recreating that bond.

What I have seen as the biggest problem is when you have someone who dominates the meeting or who must always be right. It is hard at times to put that person or to make that person a team player.

Tammy ,

You raise a good point. Turnover is a momentum killer. As a manager, you need to be diligent about listening to your employees. Over 80% of employees leave a company because of their manager. Even if you can’t give raises, or promotions, or bonuses, most employees just need to feel as though they are part of a greater mission and they need to feel respected and heard. You have a huge impact on whether or not your employees feel valued.

Unfortunately, we can’t always control turnover. If and when an employee does leave, make sure to address it with your other team members (as far as is allowed per your HR regulations). Sometimes employees become nervous and less productive if they feel their jobs are threatened or at risk because of the loss of a team member. Your reassurance and ability to lead by example will go a long way to keeping morale up. Lastly, allow your team members to provide input into the replacement. What strengths are needed on the team? Let them look at resumes. Be sure to reassure them that the extra burdens put on them, as a result of having one less person, is appreciated and short-term only. Treat them extra special and provide allowed incentives like lunch out or a team-training day.

Dr. Jamie Morley

James,

Establishing meeting norms is a good strategy to keep your team in line while still encouraging their participation. If the protocol states that everybody can write or voice one challenge/opportunity and one success, then it is hard for naysayers to monopolize the situation. Determine the order of the meetings and set time limits for everybody to state their position, as well as time limits for discussion on each item. This lets everybody know what to expect. Consistency makes team members more comfortable.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I agree with this however i find during meetings that it only take sone or two folks with a negsative attitude or to disagree about something to change everyones tune......i attempt to listen but when negative opinions are being given, i feel the need to change the direction of the conversation

Sign In to comment