Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Great question. My definition of effective coaching is when I understand the way the person that is receiving the coaching accepts, and learns new information. Every individual has a different way that they learn, or take in new information.When you get to know what motivates, or how they want to be spoken to, you will achieve effective results all the time. Poeple generally want to do a good job, and with the right approach they will in return give you the results your looking for.

I agree, but how to you bring out the best in every individual, is how well you get to know what motivates them, and understand what their goals are also.

A coach is some one who you respect, and know they have your best interest in mind, and want you to succeed. A coach should keep in mind that they lead by example, not it's ok for me to act a certain way because I'm above them.

So true, nothing can substitute for the individualized consideration we can & should have for each of our employees.
Ryan

Yes, you nailed it. A coach, among other things, must be a person of high integrity & authenticity.
Ryan

Another great example of tailoring to the individual. This is so important in coaching & making sure that we don't have a "formulaic" approach where we treat everyone the same.
Ryan

For me it means as a leader you are able to effectively develop your employees. Development in the sense of ownership, a sense of confidence to do their job, and believe in themselves

Kevin,
I completely agree with you. I heard a great statement about this the other day: "We don't use the people to get the work done; we use the work to get the people done." This is a leadership philosophy of development!

Dr. Ryan Meers

Effective coaching is mentoring the new manager and giving them the guidance they need to be successful in their new position. It is pointing out areas of weaknesses or showing another way to approach a situation. It not constantly critizing the person and not giving them any direction. It is giving them the structure needed to succeed.

michaela,
I completely agree with you. Coaching is about helping the other person to succeed, not looking to pounce when they mess up.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The effective coaching is inspiring and motivational act based on leading by example and avoiding development of inferiority complex of the coached person. "Believe in yourself as I believe in you"

Oleg,
yes, the leading by example is a key to success in the coaching relationship.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I think effective coaching means focusing on helping another person learn in ways that let him or her keep growing afterward. It is based on asking rather than telling, on provoking thought rather than giving directions and on holding a person accountable for his or her goals.

Effective coaching is encouraging the pest performance from the individual. Taking strong qualities and building on them and enhancing weak qualities.

Anna,
I would agree with your definition & add that it is being supportive while this stretching is going on.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The manager needs to realize how they can earn the respect of their direct reports. Many managers fail to recognize how their behavior affects the direct reports. Direct reports need to be able to trust their manager. They can do this by being fair, impartial and communicating effectively with their team.

I found it very interesting and agree that managers do not need to treat every employee the same. They need to focus on what works for that employee in order to be able to reach their potential. This is how managers can treat each employee fairly, by doing what works for that specific employee. This will in the long run make each team more productive.

Kelly,
yes, a lot of attention is given to getting the most out of our employees, but not as much is said about making sure that our employees are getting the most out of us.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Dr. Meers,
My response to your question is to be able to be a good listener and to learn how to read between the lines. I am new in this position and I have found that my cheerleading skills that I learned in highschool have helped me handle most situations when it comes to coaching, as long as I listen first. In the first few months in this position, I kept on having meeting after meeting to make sure that my employees knew what my expectations were. I found out I was meeting my requirements for weekly department meetings however, I was not always listening and meeting my instructors needs. I was unsure of how to interact with them not as an equal but more of a coach. I started encouraging them but pointing out their achievements and I applauded them for their effort even if they didn't achieve the entire goal that was set for them. Going forward, I was wondering if you could help me find a way to coach them when they are having difficulty achieving a goal even after I have given them direction in a non-condesending way?

being the postive coach is very important in bringign out the best in everyone whether it is teaching or being the boss

Sign In to comment