Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My definition of coaching is to praise my faculty on a regular basics.

Karen,
praise is much needed & especially when we give specifics as to why we are praising them.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I find effective coaching is when the person being coached does not realize they are being coached. I like to create an environment that is like two co-workers sharing experience and knowledge.

I find this environment also leads to highly successful team results. Someone has to lead the team but it can be done in very subtle ways. When the goal is reached no one can clearly say how they got there or name someone who carried the team.

Timothy ,
yes, subtlelty in coaching is a good idea. It is also important for our reports to know that they can bring their challenges & aspirations to us for some good advice.

Dr. Ryan Meers

It is my thoughts that when you lead by example coaching becomes easier. If you have been supportive of your team they look to you for advise, therefore coaching is more of a one on one conversation directed toward a particular topic.
Your direct reports appreciate good coaching, it makes them better at their job, it makes their job easier for them and more enjoyable.

Richard,
definitely true! If we have demonstrated our compassion & concern & care in the past they will definitely be more open to it when we are ready to coach.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Helping individual reach their full potential.

Coaching focuses on helping another person learn in ways that let him or her keep growing afterward to achieve the company's goals and make sure your employees develop all the skills they have and aquire more.

Aranzu,
yes, the coaching is really focused on the long-term development & growth of the employee.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

When you are in charge of a team you need to know how you have to do in your position. This means that you need the knowledgment to supervise a provide support for your team member. Coaching is a very important area in the supervision. The team member have the expectation they are going to receive coaching in any area from your leader and let they konw how is the correct direction in some circumstances. Depending the kind of business this coaching is diferent but finally the purpose is the same, help our team work to develope their knowledgment a make a good work for the company base on their goals.

I believe that effecvtive coaching is providing training and guidance and all within accordance of policies and procedures. Effective coaching is being able to help the individual/s achieve the required requirements and personal growth. Effective coaching is to be there to provide non biased guidance and assistance.

Shantal,
yes, the coaching is really focused on the development & advancement of the employee.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

What is your definition of effective coaching?

I would define “effective coaching” as coaching the way I would want to be coached. I have been in a position of leadership/manager/supervisor for 15 years and it never gets easier. I might add that as a father of two young men now both in their late twenties, I have spent their lives coaching them. Coaching has to be done with respect. Respect has an element of authority built in. The “coaching” has to make sense. I have often tried to point out to those I coach that life is a learning experience. Either “we are ripe and rotten or green and growing.” I do not claim any perfection. On the contrary, at times my sons have coached me on issues that affect our family. And when they have I have been open to their comments and proud of them for having open and honest communication with me. Coaching takes assertiveness and a willingness to share your opinions and experiences that others may not agree with. In order to be a good coach one must be able to articulate a convincing argument why certain attitudes or behaviors should change and create a desire in that person to want to change. I believe it was General Westmorland who said, “Leadership is getting people to go the way you want them to”.

George,
I think this is a great description of coaching. One of the things that I pick out of this is the need for the coach to move beyond self & focus on helping the other person.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The definition of effective coaching encompasses several components with specific importance. The two most important components to me are knowledge and good communication skills. A leader must be very knowledgeable in the subject in order to build trust among other employees. If the leader is not familiar with the subject matter, employees will not seek advisement from this person if they do not trust he or she will provide accurate information. Good communication skills are also essential for any coach who is leading and motivating other employees. If there is a lack of communication skills, the message can be lost and the goals unmet. This can create animosity within an organization and the employees will quickly lose trust, motivation and the desire to reach a common goal.

Rita,
I agree that good communication skills are a must. Effective coaching does not involve telling but rather listening to the other & asking powerful questions & this is a vital aspect of communication.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Coaching is a vehicle to transport a client from where he is now in his life to where he wants to be. Others have defined Coaching as: “The art of facilitating the performance, learning and development of another.” “Helping you do your best.” “Unlocking a person’s potential to maximize their own performance.” “Coaching closes the gap between thinking about doing and doing”: Curly Martin. “Coaching is about performing at your best through the individual and private assistance of someone who will challenge, stimulate and guide you to keep growing”. Coaching is about GETTING RESULTS and helping clients understand their way of generating problems. Coaching will assist a client in defining what they want, removing obstacles, setting goals taking into account values and purpose, striving for balance and fulfillment.

Clayton ,
this is a great description of the coaching process & it is focused on both goal achievement & support for getting there.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Effective coaching is pointing out the positives in the situation and pointing out the oppertunities that would benifit from change or suggestions on a different approach. Coaching is about growth and support, when done well everyone wins!

Wow... well said!!!! This is really inspirig and it makes you feel honnered to be a coach and impact someone's life

Sign In to comment