Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Elise,
and along with this, helping the other person to really focus on what they are learning through their current assignments & situations.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

My definition of effective coaching is making sure that you pay attention to each team member's way of learning and how they use that information acquired. It is important to keep a possitive attitude towards the team and stop and think before explaining or teaching the correct way. Always give feedback good or bad.

Also make sure that you ask for feedback so coaching can be used the next time in the most effective way. Knowing how your team reacts is very important when trying to build a successful team.

Ryan,
this is a good definition as it really takes into account the personal approach.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Effective coaching is knowing your employee, know when to push, know when to see if he/she needs helps. The more your know, even if it is non-verbal communication cues, the better more effective coaching will become.

Shelly,
which reinforces the need to truly know your employees.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe a manager must first be aware of who they are coaching. I think they should evaluate their approach based on the direct report's attributes as a team member. Every person requires a different approach to be the most effective. A manager needs to be clear on 'what is going on now' and 'where we need to be.' There needs to be a discussion between the two individuals, with open-ended questions, looking for new approaches to given tasks, and encourage the direct report's progress towards their goals. I think by challenging, supporting, & encouraging the direct report you can drive the desired result.

Maria,
yes, knowing each member of your team as an individual is key to success in leading your groups.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Effective coaching to me is when you sit with an individual or a team and come up with ways to help them grow.

As leaders, we need to constantly "live above the line" and model the desired behaviors and values expected of our direct reports, and do so at a much higher level. Coaching begins with understanding each person and all variables and perspectives before making decisions.

Walter,
yes, this is a great statement & demonstrates how we need to be understanding of others as we desire them to be understanding of us.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Coaching is a way to lead an individual to achieving their goals along with the organizations goals. This can be accomplished through supportive or inspirational measures.

By leading by example and being a good listener. Coaching and training your team to be successful.

To me the definition of a leader is somebody that can guide, trained, support motivate and work together as a team knowing the different methods that every employee needs to learn and be confident.

Effective coaching is teaching in such a way that the student/employee becomes enthusiastic, empowered, and educated. When you coach someone, you should leave them in such a way that they believe in themselves and feel positive that they are able to change something for the better. You do place some focus on the negatives or what needs to change, but also place emphasis on the things that they do well in.Anytime I have been coached in my past experiences, it has always been more effective when the coaching is done on a positive note as opposed to negative.

"Take care of your employees and they will take care of you"

Effective coaching is not just getting someone to do the job; coaching is a two-way partnership with the coach and coachee. The two have a shared vision. The coach guides the employee towards the mutual goals by inspiring, encouraging, and supporting him. The coach helps the employee overcome obstacles and achieve the skills and competencies needed to achieve the goal.

@fwilches I find that coaching is an excellent way to describe being a leader. I also look at myself as a mentor. I use my experiences to help guide my team, but also encourage them to find their own way even if it diverges from mine. I learn from my team as much as they learn from me.

Sign In to comment