Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lawrence,

We have to evaluate all we do. Rubrics are just one component. Thank you.

I mainly teach information technology related topics. With the way that changes are introduced in the various operating systems as well as security enhancements, there may be changes that need to be incorporated into the rubric. I have seen rubrics which are too vendor specific on some topics and they invariably need to be updated.

David,

Being too vendor specific can be an issue. I'm glad that you brought that up. Thanks so much.

I think it important to evaluate the rubrics when material such as new course work is updated. I think at times one could change it to make the course and student think deeper for the answer. I always loved a teacher that keep pushing to make the class better in learning.

Hello:

It is important to evaluate rubrics on an ongoing basis. For instance, it is important to evaluate rubrics when assignments have been modified. When an assignment changes, it is important to ensure the the elements that are required are updated in the rubric.

Yvette Jimmerson MBA,RHIT,CHTS-PW

Yvette,

Definitely. We have to assess everything we do and rubrics are key components of our teaching and learning.

Juan ,

Right on. We have to evaluate the rubrics as we continue to use them. This is to everyone's benefit.

Having a rubric is important along with making sure that the information is up to date for the students. As an instructor, evaluating the rubric is a must especially if you are working as an instructor in the medical billing and coding field. Since this is a forever changing field this causes me as an instructor to make sure that I'm providing the students with the most accurate information for the course. I try and update my rubric on a quarterly basis and implement them into the course.

Evaluating Rubrics is important because we have to evaluate the rubric we use to make sure we are assessing what is suppose to be actually measured against.

They should also be designed to help students improve the work that they do as well as provide an accurate picture of who they performed on their work.

Dr. Shirley Chuo

Reviewing and evaluating rubrics is critical to ensuring the students are understand what is expected out of them and that they are provided with feedback that allows them to improve.

Breezy,

Sounds like you have a system for rubric development, use and revisions. It's good to do all of these. Thanks!

Shirley,

We have to evaluate everything we do and rubrics are no exception. We want everything to be accurate - even what we use to evaluate students.

Christopher,

Right on. With the key to helping students improve, we have to continually evaluate what we do and what we are using. Thanks!

I like to think of the rubric as a tool used for a job that may need to be sharpened or adjusted from time to time. Just as the artisan uses the tool and develops his skill with the tool, he also needs to stop and adjust or sharpen his tools as he uses them. Tuning up the rubric helps you sharpen both your skills and the usefulness of the rubric.

I think this is the most frequently missed part of effective rubric uses. Instructors make a rubric and never revise it. Rubrics need to be constantly reviewed and certainly need to be revised every time an assignment of learning objective is revised.

Rubrics should be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure that they are reliable and valid. As an instructor, I also want to be sure the rubric is still in alignment with the objectives of the course. Often times, assignments are reviewed and updated, and therefore the rubric should be re-evaluated as well. The goal is to be sure that the rubric is measuring what it was intended to measure.

Sign In to comment