Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

William,

Everything we do in teaching has to be reviewed and revised. A rubric is just one component of that teaching process. Thanks!

To ensure that the student is meeting the course objectives. Also this gives you a gauge that the student fully understands the material and gives the instructor the opportunity to provide feedback when necessary. I personally like rubrics, because I can give the student personalized suggestions for improvement as well as kudos when requirements are satisfied.

Letrice,

"Gauge" is a great word to use for rubrics. We have to make sure they are measuring what they are supposed to be measuring and they are effective. Thanks!

Each student's understanding of instruction must be assessed through the guidelines of a rubric. Each week in my online courses is deliberatly clarify the criteria, levels, and possible constructive feedback a student should understand. If I do not evaluate the effectiveness, clarity, reliability, and validity of the rubric, how can I possible demonstrate to a student "How to use a rubric". Each online student has a different approach for completing work through their learning structure. By evaluation of the rubric, I am preparing to adequately provide guidance on how a rubric should be used to process through critical thinking the instructions of an assignment. Without that evaluation, I am unable to provide students with an effective demonstration for how they should be using a rubric to guide their completion of an assignment.

Dr. Glenn ,

Rubrics do help the students understand the expectations - at least a good rubric will do that. Thanks for bringing this up.

We should evaluate the rubrics we used constantly to make sure it is meeting the course objectives. Feedback from students should also be considered during the evaluation process. Student's feedback can be quite insightful to the effectiveness of the rubric.

Mischel,

Definitely. Rubrics are like anything else we use or teach in the class - we have to review and revise. It's a continual process. Thanks again for your input.

You have continue to evaluate yoru rubrics so you can make them better and more relevant to the project. I am constantly going in and looking at my rubrics to assess how well they are working, are students understanding them, etc.

Heather,

Everything - even the rubrics (you're right) have to be reviewed and revised. It's a part of keeping the course/resources up-to-date.

Thanks for your input.

Rubrics should be continuously evaluated to make sure that our students are meeting their learning potential. Are the providing appropriate feedback that promotes growth and learning, are our students engaged?, etc.

Amy,

Just like everything else in our courses, we have to evaluate everything and revise accordingly. Rubrics are a part of the process. nice job.

You should evaluate the rubrics that you use to make sure that they are fair, consistent and accurate.

Patricia,

And that they are measuring the objectives. Being fair, consistent and accurate go right along with this thought. Thanks for your input.

Two of the main reasons are that projects change and initial rubrics may not hit all aspects that were desired. I continually update rubrics. I find that taking notes as I am using the rubrics for grading helps me to see where a rubric may be lacking and need some editing. When I see a consistent item that I would like to comment on or that students are not achieving, I note it. Then when grading is done, I go back and evaluate the rubric with the notes and see where I ma need to tweak the rubric so it works better.

Matthew,

Rubrics are like everything else we use in our classes - they have to be reviewed and edited. Sounds like you have a good plan for reviewing and revising. Nice job.

I always review my rubrics at the end of an assignment - did my rubrics convey what I wanted students to learn? Did students understand what I wanted? I always ask students in their evaluation to share their thoughts on my rubrics.

As assignments and technology change it is always important to go back and review your rubrics.

Michelle,

Excellent. Reviewing rubrics and all that we do is so important to the learning process. Thanks for your input.

Hello All,

Rubrics should be evaluated to see if they are measuring what needs to be measured. They also need to be evaluated to see if the student are getting the best use out of the rubrics and if they are able to follow the rubrics.

Liz

Elizabeth,

Just like everything we do in our classes - rubrics too should be evaluated. You are right on! Thanks!

Rubrics need to continuously be revised based on your students, your own learning curve, and whether it is effectively assessing that performance or outcome. If I have a rubric and fill it out accordingly, then blindly try to give my best guess of where that student is at based on my course content knowledge, they two should be fairly close. If it is way off, we might be missing something.

Sign In to comment