Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Walter,

And to make sure they are tied to the learning outcomes and are measuring what you intend the to measure. Thanks.

You should evaluate rubrics for validity and reliability.

Camesha,

Right on! We have to continually review and update everything we do. Thanks!

Evaluation of the rubric used should be continuous. As the task may change, subject matter may change, and even your students may change. Hence, it is always good to evaluate your rubrics each time they are utilized.
Amy Branch

Amy,

Definitely. We have to continually assess everything we do, but rubrics are essential. Thank you.

I think Rubrics should be evaluated as the course curriculum changes, or if you see that some students do not seem to be improving in certain areas. You might try changing the Rubrics somewhat for those students to see if they perhaps get more out of your guidance when you present it a little differently to them.

Tom

Thomas ,

Definitely. I review my rubrics every time I use them. It's an ongoing process just like updating your course. Thanks!

Rubrics should be evaluated on a regular basis in order to assess whether they still have an effectiveness in the classroom. Because knowledge and curriculum is always changing, rubrics need to change with them. Rubrics certainly can't be a "one size fits all." If rubrics are not evaluated on a regular basis, they can actually impede learning, not enhance it.

Ed ~

You provide a good explanation. It is possible that a university will use the same rubric for the same level of education (undergraduate, graduate) and even for different subjects (like you mentioned). Rubrics, if not effective, will only impede learning and frustrate learners (and instructors). Rubrics must be evaluated regularly just as rubrics are used to evaluate changing in content.

Stephen and Ed,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. We learn so much from each other.

Stephen,

Right on. We have to review everything we do including e rubrics we use. We can always improve.

We should evaluate the rubrics we use to make sure that they reflect the importance of the objectives of the assignment and that the grading standards do not change over time.

Darren,

Right. We have to use rubrics to assess what we really want them to assess. You can't simply use a rubric that someone else has used until you make sure it matches your learning outcomes.

Yes, I have found that the more I teach a class the more I learn and the more my expectations change. What might have seemed like an important outcome of a student assignment may seem less relevant as time goes on and vice versa.

I really need to review my rubrics!

It is a great tool to help ensure success for the instructor and student is evaluating what is needed in the assignment to give proper feedback to make sure the students has the opportunity to reach all the goals and objectives the the assignment.

Elizabeth,

Right on! Reviewing the course, rubrics, etc. is essential for every course. Keep the circle going!

De Monte,

Yes, and you too are emphasizing that the instructor and students are assisted by rubrics. Thank you for your input.

You need to evaluate the rubrics to see if they are set up right for the course objectives and whether or not they properly measure progress towards them.

The wording of rubrics, as I have discovered, can be ambiguous or lack sufficient clarity that students interpret it multiple ways and then ask lots of questions if they get it wrong. As you can imagine, this can be a time consuming activity to respond to all of them.

So, I post modified versions of the rubrics for all the units so that there is a better chance for success on the students part simply because they have a much clearer picture of what the expectations are.

This action, coincidentally, does speed up the time it takes to grade the assignments, and although there is still a few students who email questions it has drastically reduced the volume.

roger,

Yes, we must evaluate the rubrics to make sure they are on target. It is great that you are making sure the students understand the expectations as well. Nice job.

Rubrics are not effective if they are not assessing the right things, and if they are not beneficial for the learners using them. Without evaluating your own rubrics, you do not know if they are more helpful for you, the instructor or the learner. I have revised my own rubrics over time, but I know I still have a lot of work to do. I have only changed my rubrics based on the way students complete the assignments. If it looks like they are not understanding the requirement, I will make my rubrics more detailed, though I am well aware that more needs changing. Without doing a thorough assessment, asking myself the questions from this module, I am making assumptions based on the wrong "evidence." A structured evaluation will help you ask the questions that will best allow you to make changes that would benefit all users of the rubric.

Sign In to comment