Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Evalutaing the rubrics you use will help ensure the best feedback for your students. If you blindly continue using a bad rubric, your students are not benefitting as much from your feedback. If your students aren't improving from your feedback, then you have a good indicator that your rubric may not be as useful as you thought.
Melissa

Kathy,

Everything we do has to be reviewed and revised. Rubrics are one important part in this process. We don't, as you said, want to be "way off." Thanks!

Melissa,

Ah - I can't tell you how many times I talk with instructors and they don't understand why the rubric they have been using for years is not working any more. We have to review and revise and make sure we don't continue to use a poorly designed rubric. Thanks for your input.

I feel you should evaluate the rubrics to make sure they are meeting the goals of the class. I feel using the rubrics and evaluating them can give you a handle on if the outcomes of the class are being met. I have found that students feed back is important with this, I know I have used it at times to change my rubrics.

Carolyn,

Right on! Evaluation is a part of every component of our courses. We have to be open minded enough to get feedback and make improvements. Thanks for your input.

Dr. Crews,

It's important to evaluate the rubrics used in the course to ensure they are clear and align with the assignment instructions. Rubrics that are unclear can cause students to become frustrated and discouraged in the course. As with anything, clear and concise instructions/rubrics allow the student to feel confident that their work is correct and complete.

Christina,

Right on! We have to evaluate everything we do - rubrics included. Without checking to make sure we are on track and our rubrics/assignments are on track, we won't know if our students are moving toward achieving the learning objectives. Thanks!

Based on the training, I would say that you should evaluate the rubric that you are using before each class starts. By doing this, you can see if the rubric is still relevant to the assignments and course objectives and how they tie together. By doing so, you will be able to update the rubric to make sure that it is still relevant and will work in your class.

Dr.Tena Crews,
To ensure that they are compliant with the course outcomes, that they are reliable over time and if used by various people, and that they are worded in a way that is clear too all students.

Simone,

Yes, then review the rubric after you used it as well to see if it worked. Thanks!

Anthony,

All good points. Being "compliant" with the course objectives is major. Thanks for your input.

While a rubric is a tool designed to evaluate student's work, it is also a tool to evaluate the effectiveness of the teacher's feedback. If it is poorly designed and not useful then the teacher will not be able to evaluate the student effectively. The rubric should be the device that helps the teacher help the student improve with constructive criticism.

I like to tweak my rubrics at the start of each course.

Janet,

Great input. The rubric does help both the instructor and students. I'm a "tweaker" too as I have to make sure the rubric measures what I need it to. Thanks!

Rubrics need to be evaluated periodically. Lessons may change, objectives and outcomes may also be redirected to the point where it becomes necessary to evaluate the assessment tool and its functionality.

Val,

Definitely. Everything we do has to be evaluated. It's good to start with your rubrics.

I think always, just to make sure things are correct.

Hi Tena,
As instructors we must evaluate our rubrics to make sure it's effective for the students.

Kim

Kim,

Yes, we have to evaluate everything we do and this includes rubrics. Thank you.

Kevin,

It's a constant process. We have to review all that we do and make sure we are on target with the course objectives.

There are many reasons to evaluate the rubrics I use. For one, the rubric may be too general for the specific tasks students are asked to complete. Another reason would be because the assignment for the course may have changed over time, and hence it was not kept up to par. Yet a third reason to evaluate the rubric I use is to make sure it has all the levels and performance criteria I need to measure, as it may be lacking in one or more critical course or program outcomes.

Sign In to comment