Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Marcia,

You are so right. We have to make sure the rubrics are measuring what they should be measuring and the criteria are appropriate. This will enhance the use of the rubrics. Thanks!

I think rubrics should be evaluated during each course and after each course. If students continue to have questions about how an assignment will be graded this is an indication that they are either not reading the rubric or the rubric needs to be re-evaluated.

An instructor should evaluate the rubric they used so that they can validate reliability, consistency.

Traci,

We do need to evaluate all rubrics after we use them and get input from the students to ensure the rubrics are measuring what they need to measure. Thanks for your input.

Sharon,

Definitely. These are two key words when using rubrics. As we evaluate the rubrics, then we should make changes where necessary. Thanks!

You need to evaluate the rubrics you use because if you don't you will not have an effective way to know how they are working. You can ask yourself is there room for improvement, etc... when this comes into effect.

Phyllis,

We have to evaluate everything - including rubrics. We need to ask if they are measuring what we want them to measure and if they are reliable in that measurement. Thank you.

In order to achieve a consistant quality level, as I develop rubrics I realize that I'm getting better at it and need to go back over the earlier ones I created.

When I go back over the rubrics, I'm looking for accuracy, consistency, fairness, and completeness.

Albert,

Practice does make perfect. . .or at least better. I don't know if I ever feel my rubrics are perfect, but they are tons better then when I first began. Keep moving forward.

To make sure the information is being used in the correct manner. It gives you feedback

Tim,

We do have to evaluate the rubrics to make sure they are measuring what they are supposed to measure and make sure they are connected the learning objectives. Thanks!

In the past I have used one rubric over two or more sessions before revising it. It important to revise the rubrics based on the changes in syllabus, course materials, and students' feedback. Rubrics should not be engraved in stone. Change is the only constant and all rubrics should be modified and changed to meet students' needs. Constructive changes, updates, and revisions are key to maintain rubric reliability. Thanks, Tom

Tom,

You are right that rubrics should not be set in stone. You have to review them to make sure they are doing what you need them to do and are providing meaningful feedback to the students. Thanks!

One of the reasons why I should evaluate my rubric is to make sure that it is an effective tool for me to use and that I am providing the correct information to my students'. The Content is clear, straight to the point, and includes a lot of important information. As for Clarity, I will list an example for students’ on how to improve on their weaknesses, explain terms in detail, and make sure that all levels are well defined. For Practicality, I will make sure the level of scoring aligns with students’ performance so that he/she can understand why he/she received a particular score. For instance, student essay includes misspelled words and improper grammar usage, student receives a score (-5pts). However, my positive feedback will be utilize Word Spell Check Command to proofread an essay. Lastly, Technical Quality/Fairness, I will have two rubrics which one will be for students' with a learning disability. I will grade slightly different; yet student will still have an understanding why he/she received a particular grade.

Sabrina Sanders

Sabrina,

Excellent. I am thrilled you brought up the topic of students with disabilities. Rubrics should be designed to help all involved. Thank you.

Rubrics should be evaluated to make sure that they align with the objective of the assignment.

George,

Definitely. If they are not connected to the objectives (and even the course learning outcomes), students will not understand why they are doing what they are doing. Thanks!

I need to revaluate my Rubrics to make sure it is up-to-date with my course competencies and ensuring each objective is being met. Again, there are many components to think about when creating a rubrics.

Evaluating rubrics is a necessary step in determining whether the rubric will assess the desired skills and outcomes and whether students will be able to perform the specified tasks. I should assess whether the rubric is fair, comprehensible, objective and reasonable. In the end, the best students will deliver what I expect and the purpose of a rubric is to communicate clear expectations about student performance.

LSingleton

Matthew,

Connecting the rubrics to course competencies, assignment objectives, etc. help immensely. Then, students understand why they are doing the task and how to achieve the most points. Thanks!

Sign In to comment