Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Michael,

The key word you used in your post is "clear." A clear rubric system is essential to maximize learning. Thanks!

I like using rubrics as it allows an expectation level to clearly be established for the learner. I think a rubric also holds a student accountable. Thirdly, I like using a rubric in that it gives the learner some direction in terms of what knowledge or skill is needed for the assessment they are going to complete. While I am not an advocate of a holistic approach to grading, a rubric also allows for some consistency and rationale for a score earned by each student.

Rick,

I like using them too. Anything we can do to help the students be more accountable is a good thing. The consistency it provides also helps the instructor and students. Thanks!

Discussion Forums are an integral part of my on-line classes, even though I teach math. The discussion forum IS the classroom. I encourage students to ask questions about approaches to problems and to try to state what they understand or don't understand. That being said, it is critical for the students to have some idea as to how their discussions will be accessed. They need to understand in concrete terms that simply stating, "I am terrible at math and I don't understand the material. I have always been bad at math" does not advance the discussion nor give the instructor or other students any way to help the student understand." By stating this in a rubric, I believe the student has a better chance of earning the maximum number of points for this area of his/her grade.

Janis,

We have to develop good discussions (some call threaded discussions) so that students engage in the learning process. The rubric helps with this process. Thanks!

Hello Dr. Crews and colleagues,

I have only recently begun to use rubrics with my online students. In the past, I've used "boiler plate" WORD document comments that I copied and pasted into my students’ grade books. I find that using rubrics allows for greater flexibility in terms of awarding points for various criteria; rubrics help my students obtain a clearer picture of the information on which they will be graded.

Sara Fine
Online Instructor

It is important to use rubrics for the sake of consistency. Rubrics also provide a means of giving feedback objectively and makes it easier to validate a particular numerical score when it is based on defined domains outlined in the rubric. Students also appreciate rubrics because it helps them understand how they are being evaluated and what areas they need improvement.

Sara,

Great! Glad you are finding the rubrics helpful. Bet your students are too.

Thanks for your comments.

Saudat,

Rubrics can definitely help with consistency and objectivity. I'm glad you have found that the students appreciate them as well. Thanks!

One of the first things I noticed when I started using rubrics was that the process forced me to clarify in my mind what I was wanting to assess in the product. When we have 120 essays to grade, we can get tired, and ticked off if we have read some bad ones. I know I am not the only one that has caught themselves thinking...this writing penmanship is awful and I have asked him (or her) a hundred time to write clearly. A rubric helps me focus on the objectives determined to be the focus and if penmanship isn't on the rubric I just have to be able to read it. AND it certainly makes those 120 essays go a little faster

I need to add to this in reference to inline learning. I
While I like that it forces me as the instructor to focus, it also allows the students to read the expectation and ask questions before the end product if they don't understand. As a student it always is a question " what does he/she want?" The rubric allows for discourse throughout the process rather than at the end when I have to explain a grade.

carol,

Excellent. Any time we have to think more critically about what we are asking students to do, the better. We have to completely understand what we are asking and that we are asking things that connect directly to the learning objectives. It's good we take a step back many times to ensure what we are doing. Thanks for your comments.

carol,

Definitely. Rubrics help make things more clear for students and the instructor.

Thanks!

Rubrics are a must in the online environment. They set clear expectations for work and eliminate for the most part student’s complaints about being unfairly graded. I have incorporated grading rubrics with great success as part of my assignment checklists. Students that utilize them are always in the top performing part of the class.

robert,

It's interesting that you have seen the top performing students use the rubrics to their advantage. Smart students. ;-) Thanks!

Rubrics are set of criteria or scoring guide that describe level of performance or understanding. It is important to provide students with expectations about what is required, assessed, standards to be met, and information about where students are in relation to where they need to be or progress they have made.

Rubrics are very helpful for many reasons. Improving the rubrics over time is essential for both the students and instructor because it leave less "gray area' for questions, dispute over grading and presents students with clear objectives.

michael,

Right on! The expectations you (through the rubric) set are essential to setting the stage for the learning environment. We have to help them strive to meet the objectives and standards, but they have to do the work. Thanks!

michael,

You are right. Effective rubrics should help reduce questions from the students and help them meet the clear objectives that I hope are in the rubric itself. Thanks!

Despite the initial time investment in creating a rubric, I use rubrics extensively for several reasons:

*It decreases time spent in the midst of grading during the session. With so many assignments to grade, efficient use of time is critical.

*Rubrics standardize grading. As a student, I often felt that my instructors scored students by completely different standards on the same assignment. Grades seemed random with no consistency. How can a student hope to improve when the criteria is random? In this way, rubrics also help instructors clarify for themselves what they want to see out of an assignment and remain consistent.

*For the students, rubrics make great checklists! Before starting the assignment, while completing the assignment, and then before submitting it. The students can look at the grading rubric and check off each item to be sure they completed the assignment. In this way, the student knows what to do and what to expect. For the instructor, grading students who do the assignment correctly is always easier than the alternative. So rubrics are a win-win situation.

Sign In to comment