Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Amy,

You are right. Rubrics should help students understand the expectations, but not stifle their creativity. Thanks for bringing up that point. Take care.

I can say from experience, I have depended on my rubrics to clarify my assignments and grading criteria. Although I have to admit, many students don't read them. I usually have to refer to them when there is a question about a grade received.

I always stress in my classes that rubrics can be used as a tool to complete assignments as well as a reference. If students see that rubrics can be used as an aid in the classroom, I hope that it will generate more use.

I also think it is important that rubrics are simply stated and carefully address the main points of the assignments. When rubrics become too complex, student lose interest in using them. As a instructor that has observed both sides of the issues, I've found that many instructors tend to over complicate the content which results in students misunderstanding the criteria and the important points of the assignment.

Vicki,

Have you tried having students rate themselves using the rubrics and submitting that completed rubric before they submit their assignment? It "makes" them look at it and self-assessment, in my opinion, is always a good thing. Hope this is helpful. Thanks for your input.

Hello,

I can't say I've tried that approach. I,m really looking for ways to motivate students to use the rubric.

In the environment I usually teach, assignments are preplanned, so creating an additional assignment as you mentioned is not a simplistic task. I would need to created the assignment outside of the format that is specificed, but I would like to find a way to utilize that approach.

Vicki,

So, your assignments and your rubrics are provided to you? If so, you may ask students how they would suggest editing the rubrics and go at it that way. Maybe. . .

I would argue that consistent and "helpful" feedback are the key elements as to how it is important to use rubrics. Often, feedback is vague and may vary from student to student, but the rubric allows for not only consistency between students, but it also explains what was expected and how the student met that expectation, with the goal of improvement.

Scott,

Good job. We do want to provide consistent and meaningful feedback to the students as we want to help them improve. Thanks for your input.

Clear rubrics emphasize the objectives and learning outcomes of your course and give your online student the road map to how they will be evaluated - and what tools they can use to produce the quality work that they will be graded on.
This is critical for any course work, but even more so for an online class where the student needs immediate gudieance on a project, guidance on the standards for performance and facilitates independance they require.

Betsy,

I am so glad you mentioned the objectives/learning outcomes in conjunction with the rubrics. They must be aligned. I actually put the objectives on the rubric itself. This helps the students understand why they are doing what they are doing. Thanks!

I believe that a rubric provides a guideline for students when they are preparing their homework assignments. It allows the student to understand what is expected of them, and how they will be graded on these expectations.

Patrice,

You are right on! And, from your post I can see that your provide the rubric before students begin the assignment, not just at the end. Perfect.

I find rubrics essential in order for me to be objective when scoring reports. This also allows for fair scoring from student to student and class to class.

I break down assignments into questions and let students know how many points each question, or even which part of each question, will earn.

With AIUs new Gen Ed rubrics, students also score points for presentation, grammar, and APA. Letting everyone know in advance how their work will be assessed reduces anxiety for the student and reduces appeals when a poor score is posted.

In addition, I incorporate the wording of the rubric into the feedback for the grade so the expectation is tied right in to the outcome.

I feel that regardless of modality (e.g., online, hybrid, or campus based) rubrics should be used as part of the feedback. They serve as a checks and balances system which ultimately helps prevent grade inflation or deflation.

Jay Familant

Jane,

Ah - so glad you added the last sentence that you connect everything to the outcomes. Nice job.

Jay,

Totally agree. The rubrics help the instructor and the students and help develop an understanding of the expectations. Thanks!

For me it simplifies the grading process. It also make the process more fair and uniform.

Kevin,

It definitely simplifies the grading process. And, anything that makes the assessment more objective and fair is worth it! Thanks!

Dr Crew,
It is important to use rubrics as an online instructor as a rubric identifies for the student what is needed to achieve a certain grade for that assignment. The assignment may be a research paper and the rubric would identify what research is needed, content, format and grammar to name a few. The student will know exactly how to complete the assignment by following the rubric.

Jeannine Wieland

I believe using rubric clearly defines the expectations for students and serves as a guide to them as well.

Jeannine,

Yes. The way you describe the rubric, the students will benefit immensely.

Thanks!

Sign In to comment