Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using Objective and/or Subjective Evaluations

Objective evaluations include true/false, multiple choice, and matching questions. Subjective evaluations include open-ended questions, essays, etc. How have you used evaluations in your course?

One of the universities that I teach at offers multiple choice objective evaluations as a final exam. The test is actually given by a 3rd party with only the overall results being submitted to the insturctor. Due to the online nature of the course, the student can take the test only one time and is provided with a 3 hour window of time to answer 15 multiple choice questions. While, I do not know the questions that are on the test, from what I have learned from students, there is a great cross representation of course content covered on the test. If you are not reading the materials, it will be difficult to successfully complete the test.

Interesting, are you comfortable in this format?

I have always used both objective as well as subjective evaluations in a testing format. This helps me identify if the student clearly understands the material.

When I teach secondary students I try to keep things as open-ended to gauge their learning and how well they can apply items to real life; however, sometimes you need to actually measure what concrete information they have learned. In my college classes that I teach I use multiple choice tests, discussion questions which are required, and assignments where they actually have to complete Excel worksheets based on information given. I try to change dicussions so that they are more critical in thinking as well as open-ended. I also have the rule that we have to be respectful of everyone's ideaology. Currently, I am thinking of how to incorporate more technology while keeping it open-ended.

Actually I use a mix. For example, when teaching statistics the objective results are whether the final mathematical answers are right or wrong (a type of test not mentioned here). However, I do give partial credit for correct techniques--using the correct formulas in the proper ways--but with sloppy math work leading to wrong answers.
When the material is more general, for example when writing an essay on how one collects statistical data, or what is wrong with the information that an advertiser or politican presents, I use subjective evaluations. The point here is to see if thy got the main ideas on how information gleaned from numbers can be distorted or poorly collected in the first place.

My classes are a small amount of lecture combined with a large proportion of hands-on learning. In quiz or tests, I do my best to mix true/false, multiple choice and matching, to give students a variety of ways to process the questions and answers. Sometimes answers to one question may inspire a student to change their response on a previous question. I think that's great! I never try to trick or fool the students. Most times, when students answer incorrectly, it's because they are over thinking the question. I don't use many essays unless there is a subject left up to their interpretation...and in baking & pastry it's all scientific, nothing should get lost in translation.

I mainly use Objective evaluations due to the fast pace learning syllabus . While I'm lecturing I ask Subjective questions and this gives me a better understanding if they get it or not.

So you are using both in both summative and formative evaluations. good!

Juanita, I also use objective and subjective evaluations. Not only do I use subjective questions to make sure the students have an understanding but to monitor if the students are paying attention.

It is an effective tool in the online environment to check engagement.

I use objective evaluations as regular benchmarks and subjective evaluations as classwork/homework to assure that the material is being understood.

A mixture of weekly assessments (objective) and weekly assignments (subjective) are used to assess and evaluate student achievement. The assessments are graded automatically while the assignments are grading with the use of rubrics. The subjective evaluations are more time consuming but help to balance students objective evaluations.

Well said. Do you. Use the assessments for course improvement?

I think in a career college that the lower level courses should use objective evaluations and the higher level course should use subjective evaluations. THis way it can show application or not.

I agree. I feel that using a mix makes them use all the information they learned.

As a computer instructor I used objective evaluations, because in my subject that I'm teaching I have to be specific with the answer, like yes or no only. example, what key you need to used the answer is specific.

As a clinical medical assisting instructor, I use evaluations in various ways. In some assignments, I use multiple-choice questions where the answers are either right or wrong and in other questions,I use the more subjective method where students can give their opinion on certain issues.

So you only use yes, no?

I use subjective evaluations during the course and discuss results during class. I use subjective during courses because we have the time to sit down and really break down the content. Also, I use subjective evaluations when there can be multiple answers to a question. Students are given a chance to provide an answer they think is appropriate as long as they can back it up. I usually use objective evaluations at the end of the course (final exam, etc). When the course ends, students usually move on to the next class, we run out of time for feedback and discussions.

Sign In to comment