Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology Assessment Tools

When assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider?

There are many important aspects to consider when assessing technology. I would say that the top three includes relativeness of use, functionality and level of interaction. Relativeness of use is directly correlated to how well the assessment tool works with the course materials. The use of technology assessment tools must also have easy functionality; this will ensure that both the instructor and student can use the tools in the appropriate manner. Given the online nature of the online environment and its often asynchronous communication methods, the ideal technology tool must also provide a way for students to communicate with each other, and for students to communicate with the instructor.

Assessing is a skill requiring patience.
Therefore, choose numerous tools will be most beneficial because some students may express better in different mediums.

I agree that the tool should be easy to function.
Today our tools are changing quickly. As an instructor I must keep up technically with these changes and remain savy at using these tools.

Good point. Assessment really requires multiple tools to get a complete picture.

When assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment many things are important to consider. However, I would have to say that three most important things are the ease of use; what you, the teacher are trying to evaluate; and, what the students acutally gain from the use of the tool.
Based on my teaching experience you can develop the best assignment you have ever made but then the assessment falls flat on its face because it doesn't assess what you want. Also, if you create a WebQuest assignment you have to go back before you give it to your students to make sure that all the links are still active. Therefore, the students will not learn what you want them to. Technology assessment tools are great to use and essential in today's environment of technology, technology, technology. However, they do take planning, assessing, and critizing before they even reach the student. Once the tools reach the student, you have to have the students analzye it to make sure that it is what you wanted.

Amanda,

Thanks for your input. You bring up some good points. I liked that you noted assessments do take time, planning and keep up to date. Students should benefit from the assessment.

Nice job.

I agree completely. We, as insructors/teachers/facilitators need to be able to allow our students to express themselves in the best way possible. Sometimes that can be by giving them a wide berth for the format that they complete the assessment if. For example, one student may write a report while another draws a picture. We need to keep multiple intelligences in mind as we prepare things for our classes.

I was in one of my master level classes for secondary education and the entire instruction for a final project was take an event from the victorian era (real or ficticious) and develop it. We had so many different varieties of events/people/topics that everyone was allowed to learn in the best way for them. One person did an example of spiritulism, one did the life of a real prostitute that became famous, and one did an event of body snatching. All of these topics were prevalent in Victorian England. By allowing a wide assessment of the course we were all able to learn and present it in the way that worked best for us. Personally, I cannot wait to try this idea out...my only concern is how to adapt it for the online environment.

I'll take a slightly different tack and say one of the most important considerations is that the students understand and are able to use the tools available. I have had some students who are almost unacquainted with computers, afraid of them (and online learning in general), or have little access to equipment and software. Unless they can use this technology it does them more harm than good. So, starting with simplier tools (including writing and easy web links) and perhaps building up from there could introduce them to this work without it creating barriers for their study.
As for the other two considerations, I would first include relevance to the course being taught--something fancy or too complex isn't needed if it is a basic course, or one that's possibly irrelevant to some tools.
Second, as the course noted, make sure that they are up to date. We just had a lot of trouble with a possible online course where the textbook changed, and the software being used was out of date. I ended up having to write most of the material. Which brings up another point; that was a 5 week math class, which was far too concentrated for an online program. Make sure what you're doing even works within the given parameters.

I feel it's important to understand the tools that are available, you should know the abilities of your students and if the tools you choose will give you the results you expect.

Evaluating the student and finding the best assessment to meet the students level of education (technology) while allowing them to advance and enhance their knowledge. Choosing the best tools to compliment the subject being taught and providing specific feeback criteria perhaps through the use of a rubric are the most important things to consider.

Do you think a variety of technologies should be used to provide a variety of assessments?

I do think a variety of technology tools should be used to assisst students with learning. It has shown to be very effective tools for helping students comply and complete their course studies and feel knowledgeable about their skills.

Do you think that ties into different learning styles?

Richard, in my opionion one of the most important jobs working as an on-line professor is making sure the students understand how to use the tools. The first day of each class I go over all the tools used in the class. I do this to assess the students. Also, this process helps me as well.

How do you do this, do you do it synchronously?

1. Function
2. Organization
3. Creativity

How does organization fit in assessing technology tools?

1. That the assessment is appropriate for the learning outcome
2. That the technology tool/assessment being used is user friendly
3. Does it accurately represent the students achievement/knowledge
4. Ensure there are as many opportunities to provide comprehensive feedback

1. Do they measure what they are intended to measure?
2. Do they consistently measure what they intend on measuring?
3. Are the assessment items in line with the learning objectives?

Sign In to comment