Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The pitfall I see with my online students is the lack of time management. However, since I recognize that this is a constant pitfall for most students, I work to proivide them with calendars and constant reminders of upcoming assignments. I have found that this has helped to increase the number of students who fail to meet deadline dates, which in turn results in a lower percentage of my students failing and/or having to withdraw from my courses.

The biggest pitfall is when students underestimate how much time it takes to complete their work in a given task.

One technique to assist the students in this area is to send them weekly reminders of what is due that week so that the most timely and relevant information stays in the forefront.

I have used this methodology in my classroom before and have found it to be most effective.

- Dr. Eileen Wbbeke

There are many... most pitfalls reported to me are health related. Family members die, organs were transplanted, hips replaced...Getting students "out of the pit" involves, simply, offering a helping hand. Of course, some students want you to jump in there with them and pull yourself and the student both out. Unfortunately, this is a surprisingly widespread and stubborn idea of what "teaching" is. So I tell my students to "review the archived chats"... take notes as you listen, and make specific notations for timelines... Then write down any questions you have and we'll set up a time and review the questions and problems you have."

Paul,

You make a good point. You need to direct them to solve their problems not just give them answers.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eileen,

Good! You are right. After teaching 34 freshmen, time management is the most important concept I am teaching right now. (And it is not in the syllabus!)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Adib,

Agreed! Many of our students have never managed their time until they get to college. I try to walk the tight rope of not spoon feeding dates but helping them to manage their responsibilities. It is not easy.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kirk,

You are right, then they become overwhelmed and blame everyone for the problem. Good expectations don't always help with this as it is out of our control.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Liz,

If we can help them with technology tools that will help them keep on track we may have a chance!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Liz,

Great post! You have great insight. You have a tough subject to teach. Trying to model good practice is important!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Julie,

It is interesting your comment about students want to be "fed" . That is happening in the face to face courses also. Good comments.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

kristen,

Good points! I try to get information out in two to three different ways in different places. It is no easy!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Steven,

You are right; early patterns really detect success!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Trina,

Great Points! You are right; about new learners. It is important to be consistent in design to help new learners to navigate the LMS.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Trina,

I will review my students work if the submit early. Not everybody takes advantage of that!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Trina,

That is a great idea. I also think we have to discourage students who are taking online courses when they only have a library or public computer to use (That is must MY opinion).

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think it varies a lot from student to student, nut most often, I see that they underestimate the amount of time they need to spend on assignments. As a result, they usually leave out vital detail, forget to proof read, make careless errors, and other mistakes that cause them to lose points, and get lower grades than they are capable of. O it causes them yo submit assignments late, which causes them to lose 5% of their grade for each day it is late, and they get behind in the class. I really like the tip given in this course to provide an estimate of how long they should plan to spend on an assignment. I am new to online teaching, and I don't know why this didn't occur to me sooner. It's such a simple solution.

There are a wide variety of pitfalls I see students exhibiting. Procrastination, not reading the assignment instructions closely enough, not going through the Course Materials that are available to them - the multimedia as well as the text one that includes practical assignments. Not exploring the chapters in the books available to them in the bookshelf, not bothering to read the AIU APA Guide, and not doing the assignments until the last second. Effectively, winging it on a hope and a prayer that they will pass with as little effort as possible. Sending me emails that are unintelligible, necessitating questions on my part about what they are trying to ask me. Students not reading the comments posted by their uploaded IP assignments, or the comments posted along with their grades and then repeating the same mistakes again and again. Posting to the DB and only doing part of the assignment, then not going back to the DB to respond to other students or myself.

When it comes to group assignments, the main pitfall seems to be a breakdown or resistance to communication and doing the work in a timely manner.

Oh yes, and then there are the suspicious emails with all the electronic versions of "the dog at my homework".

One key pitfall would be getting behind. This is a regular issue, and rather than be punitive and blocking success, I always work with learners, reaching out often and offering suggestions. My main goal is that every learner complete the class successfully.

Another pitfall would be improper use of source materials resulting in plagiarism. Most often, this is not an issue of stealing or copying; rather, learners need additional guidance and instruction on the use and documentation of sources, which I provide.

Darcy Schultz

This is a question that could easily warrant many, many pages of a response, for as many students there are this is the possible number of pitfalls student can encounter.

The basic ones of procrastination, lack of understanding how to effectively manage time, not being technologically savvy, overlooking resources and instructor comments, not doing all assigned readings, and lack of participation can be handled through a combination of instructor oversight, numerous postings (pre-class and during class) to help students, jumping on the many “teachable moments” that come up, and individual contact (email and / or phone) to students.

For less common ones it is wise to keep a list of them as they come up, along with the instructor responses, turn these into a FYI posting before class, and add to this with each additional class.

Lastly, one must simply respond to that pitfall which is new, relying on the instructor’s experience, knowledge of school policy, contact with appropriate upper-tier faculty, and common sense.

I see several pitfalls with online students:

1.) Procrastination

2.) Not reading the materials aligned with each week's concepts.

3.) Not completely reading the assignment instructions.

4.) Overlooking the Announcement Board.

I try to assist my students by sending out information via email, posting additional "reminders" on the Announcement Board, and uploading several Instructor Files.

Sign In to comment