Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Matt,

You have great strategies. I can't imagine trying to bring students up to speed technologically in a five week course. The key is trying to get them to use a calendar to plan the LIFE, not just their course. This is really a challenge when they only think about passing not excelling . this is so frustrating.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have seen some of my students fail of manage their time properly and then try to submit a lot of copy/pasted material. What then happens is that there are references and material that are out of context.

Here is a common example when that occurs:

> A student is preparing a topic related to networking for an online information technology switching/routing course. Note that when we are talking about 'networking' in the class it is in the context of how information is transmitted through local area networks, onto the wide area network, and ultimately to the final destination on another local area network.

> The student then submits information about networking; however, it's over social networking and how people communicate through various relationships at work, online, etc.

Dr. Wilkinson,
You are correct. Thank you so much for those words today as I met with a student who unfortunately will not be passing a class due to not submitting work during one week of class. Despite emails, reminders, etc. He did acknowledge it was his responsibility and perhaps he should have reached out sooner. I think we both learned during the experience being that it was my first tutoring session with a student and having to give them this type of news.

David,

I really appreciate your post. This is one problem that arises with time management. You do bring up a good point. There are serious consequences to time management failure. Students at times think they will get away with it "this one time" or the rules really don't apply to them. It is so frustrating.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Miriam,

But it doesn't mean the end. It is a great way to talk about options and what can be done to continue the learning. This was a learning experience. It is hard to do this isn't it but it is valuable for all. I also like the thought that you took the time to assess the situation afterward to determine how it could have been changed by the student, instructor, and tutor. Kudos to you.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Thank you.
It really is a learning experience for all involved.
I am finding that my way of learning and doing things is unique and I can only do my best to coach the students to find their way that leads them to their own success.

Miriam,

That is what a good student centered person does. You help guide students to what works for them.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Probably the number one pitfall I see, is the student taking on more then they can handle. I sometime think there is a false sense of belief that an online course is somehow easier then a brick and mortar course. A lo of my students tell me, that they did not realize the amount of time needed to be successful. most of them are working full time and trying to take care of families. I try to help them by giving them more insight into the assignments, and encourage them to schedule class time each week. For example, block out small chunks of time, and work on assignments that way. Don't try to do it all at once, rather in small chunks.

I hear from students that they are taking too many classes at one time. They are anxious to graduate and sign-up for several courses that they cannot seem to juggle well. I often will hear that they did not know something was due...yet the information is in the syllabus, class schedule, and in the announcements.

Sometimes it is just that 'life gets in their way' - work requirements, kids are sick, and so much more. It is not their fault always. Sometimes it is just life challenges that impede their getting the tasks completed.

Jan

Dale,

Who started the rumor about online courses being easier? I agree with you, time management is such a challenge for many online students as the don't have to be anywhere to learn. I actually have begun creating a calendar for students to use and to put in their phone.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Janis,

We feel your pain! It is so frustrating when you provide so much for a student and they won't take responsibility. You have remind students that even though you are a student centered instructor, that also means each student is held accountable. You may want to create a recording of you talking through the expectations of the course with you showing them the areas of importance. `

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Janis,

I also think there are times that we have that important discussion regarding time management and making choices. It may not be the right time to take courses, or you may need to drop one course. As instructors, we cannot "water down" the content as we have responsibility to our own profession.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The pitfalls I see in my online students falling into are:a) underestimating the amount of time necessary to complete assignments involved in an online course; b) trying to do too much (i.e., take too many courses or work too many hours while taking courses); c) overestimating their technology skills; d) believing they are better collaborators than they actually are; e) believing they can "do it on their own"; f) lacking communication skills; g) lacking initiative; h) assuming online learning is easy; and i) procrastinating.

According to my readings. the ways to help students get out of the pitfalls are: Prior warning of not to underestimate the long hours needed to complete a task online, discourage them from taking too many classes and avoid procrastination

Thanks,

Victor

Victor,
Great post, I started giving my students a Outlook calendar that maps personal deadlines for one assignment. They can put it on the computer, they can put it in their phone. I want them to carry that calendar with them!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The biggest pit fall I see my students fall into is time management. Most of the students in my course are just starting out in an online environment and they underestimate the time needed to commit to the course. The help students and keep them moving forward we encourage participation in a Thursday conference call and at that point I remind them of the time remaining and needed to complete the week’s assignments. Lastly, I am encouraging if students fall behind and offer opportunities to catch up and submit the work late if necessary.

Michael,

Do students show up for the Thursday conference call? Time management is such a problem for all students not just the students online.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The main pitfall I see in my online course is that student do not take enough time to properly research their topic and then only report the facts, leaving out the key piece-analysis, deduction and critical thinking. I can tell they are rushed and work to write the basics. They think because they "worked hard" they deserve an A. I explain the expectations of the assignment to them, giving them a breakdown of how I assign every point in the assignment so they can visually see and read that critical thinking is 30% of the grade. I also have to explain that they indeed did "work hard" because they were rushed due to procrastination so that anxiety made it feel more difficult than the task was. I also explain critical thinking skills akin to learning to ride a bike. It is hard in the beginning to sit down and think about their own ideas and their own deduction about how the facts of their research actually affect real people. I ask them a lot of questions usually "Why did this result occur?" "How would the results be affected if..." What would happen if..." However, once they "get it" they begin asking the same questions in discussion boards and I feel like my caterpillars have become butterflies.

Jodi,

I am not sure that is just an online problem! I have started creating a project calendar that helps them "plan" their work. It is so frustrating when procrastination sets in and students don't take responsibility.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi Kelley,
Their pitfalls are sometimes related to time management. They either think the work is easy so they can wait to last minute to do the work. Then the work end up being harder than they think. The student gets behind with one week to the next week.
Kim

Sign In to comment