Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kim,

I want to know who started the rumor that online learning was easy! :) I have started creating students an Outlook calendar that helps them map out their learning in the course. They hopefully will build their activities around the learning. The Outlook Calendar then can go in their phones as that is what they are connected to.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

My own pitfall was distractions, family, work, and when you get to take the class at home everyone thinks your available. My instructor gave me a great suggestion to use the library as my classroom on the days my family and friends were around. This allowed me to stay on track without the distractions. It was convenient when I needed it, which wasn't all the time.

Edward,

What a great observation. Do you share this with your students? They need to hear it. I agree with you, when I talk with students I share with them the items that "call" to me at home; laundry, cooking, tv. I actually go to a coffee shop with headphones. Have students share their strategies for success and share with others.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It is a discussion constantly ongoing, they haven't experience a lot of methods, so you have to remind them daily of their goals and ways they can reach them.

Edward,

True, you do have to watch the amount of discussions going at one time. I have started to create start and stop times with my discussion. It reduces confusion.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe that one of the biggest pitfalls is the ability of doing work from home. Many times students think that because they are able to work from home it will not be a problem to complete the work. Unfortunately, time management gets the best of them. Work, children, and other home responsibilities still factor into the equation. The amount of time that an online course requires is more than the student ever expected, and if the student has small children they frantically try to get their work done while children are napping or in bed for the night. They also do not have a back-up plan, such as daycare to take the children so that they can work on their schooling. Stay at home moms are very busy and usually they do not realize that there is often not enough time in the day if time is not managed properly.

Patricia,

It is hard for me to work at home, we have to think about that for our students. You may want to work with them to use the electronic calendar to help the plan their time. Time management is a huge barrier!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The majority of students believe that online classes will be a breeze... and they can juggle work, family, and various obstacles. But in fact, some online courses require more participation than F2F. Time factor is the biggest pitfall to students. I reach out to the students by creating a time scaffold that states the approximate time the assignment should take with above average competency. I also do video tutorials on YouTube that shows how to create the assignments.

Sodang,

I love your idea of the time scaffolding. That is a great tool. I use Outlook Calendar to help them plan their time productively. they can push that to their phone.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Three of the top pitfalls that I see students consistently falling in are:

1.) Underestimating the amount of time and effort required in online coursework.

To combat this, I emphasize in the course syllabus and course guidelines the time requirement for the course (how much time you will spend preparing and completing tasks). I require students to sign a statement saying that they have read and understand the course syllabus and guidelines. I communicate expectations for performance in the course and students are able to see the amount of work required for the major assignments (research paper, exams, and group projects) on the first day of class. This gives them the opportunity to review whether they will have enough time to dedicate to this course early in the semester rather than past the add/drop date when it’s too late for students to get out of the course.

2.) Issues with writing skills, specifically using text/web language in online courses.

I have a strict policy on using text language in discussion forums and written assignments that is posted in the course syllabus and course guidelines which students must agree to on the first day of course. One of the guidelines explains that when students make posts in the discussion forum using this sort of language the post is removed and students do not receive credit for that post. I also include a policy on what is appropriate methods of communication and why we must use that form of communication in this setting. I have also added several guides on how to write research papers, how to write in online settings, effective communication, and other topics as reference for the students.

3.) Turning in less than stellar work with the idea that something is better than nothing.

This is a pitfall that many fall into because of issues with time management. Students often feel that because this is an online course they can get away with turning in a few sentences for a written assignment and still receive credit. Student feel less pressure in a sense because they don’t have to worry about looking in the instructor’s face and giving them half-completed work. My method for combating this is to send the assignment back to the student explaining to them the assignment requirements and how their work does not meet the requirements. I give them the option of resubmitting the assignment for partial credit or accepting half credit for the assignment overall. Lately I have taken to posting length and content requirements for each assignment as guidelines for students. I have found that most students respond well to being given another attempt to correct an assignment and appreciate the feedback and it doesn’t happen again. However as with anything else, there are always some that I have to hassle a bit more about this issue.

Ester,

Wow, you said a block full and you are right. You hold your students to high expectations and you articulate those expectations in a variety of ways. You did hit one of my "issues" ( I have a few:)) and that is the excuse "I tried to do the work" . I have actually said "I tried in my first marriage and it still failed", probably not one of my finest moments. You want their best work as they need to have pride in their work. I have stopped calling grading "grading" . I now call it evaluation and giving feedback and the idea is feedback means you have to react to it. Just like in the real world. Stay tune. . . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree that time management can be the biggest challenge for online learning. I like to provide examples of why time management skills are important and not just important in online learning, but in our real life as well.

Matthew,

That is a great strategy. I also provide them a calendar for the first portion of the course then wean students off to add their own information.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The biggest pitfall according to me for online student is their writing skills. There are special tutoring labs conducted for these students so that they can get better at this skill.

Jumana,

It is so important to find resources they can use. Have you seen Grammar Girl Podcasts? Google them, it is a great way to provide help.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The main pitfalls I see my online students falling into are as follows:

1) They do not set-up enough time to do their work each week. I believe they underestimate the time it takes to read and complete the assignments. I assist them by providing a weekly checklist and a grading rubric so they can stay on track with what is asked of them.

2) I find that students lack motivation due to situations outside of the classroom. I help in this area by making phone calls and providing encouragement emails/announcements to help the student focus back on the subject. If necessary, I redirect them back to the school to utilize resources to assist with personal problems.

3) I find that my students fall into the pitfalls of APA writing. Most do not quite understand the importance that writing will be as they communicate to others. I teach in a management program and most students will barely meet the word count on discussion posts or within their papers. I have decided to create separate posts that help them see the importance of writing in their field of management and why growth is necessary in order to communicate through verbal or written communication to their staff in the future.

Joi ,

I don't know where to start with your great post! I too think students underestimate the time it takes to prepare for class and homework. I am now seeing more of this in my f2f course also. I too setup a calendar to help them plan. It is important continue the repetition regarding communication.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It's not always easy to determine if students are not able to manage their time effectively. However, some late assignments and feedback and you learn that time management is a big issue. Couple that with procrastination and success falls quickly. I think students are reluctant to set up a time schedule thinking there will always be some time, even in the wee hours of the morning after the children are in bed. Getting them to commit to a schedule is key, especially writing something down, whether it be calendars or programming their phones for reminders.

The worst pitfall is underestimating the amount of work that is required to complete an accelerated online class. If they miss the first two or more assignments, completing everything can become overwhelming. I explain to them from the outset that they cannot eat an elephant in one sitting, BUT they can eat an entire elephant one meal at a time. It's important not to miss any meals (assignments)!

Tom,

You make great observations. I have used calendaring as a way to get them to plan for their week and that means planning everything. I have them to send me a calendar for me to look at.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment