Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

To improve my students communication in online class, I post a few questions or a website for them to go to and research. This gives the students a lot more chances to reply. This helps them get better in all their skills of reading and writing.

Jumana,

Do you make them cite the site(that is a tongue twister)! This is a good technique.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I truly loved the "CPA" acronym provided within this lesson and believe it is a great way to remind ourselves as instructors along with our students to communicate in a "clear, professional and appropriate" manner. I find it is pertinent to provide applicable examples within helpful reading strategies, writing skills, researching, citing sources and communicating effectively.

I help students by providing study guides to help them focus their reading on a specific topic. In terms of writing, I will use track changes in Word so they are able to see how their writing can be updated to be clear and concise.

Typically if I have a class where we're writing I always have notes and assign points for grammar, correct citation and formatting. I also provide templates that show either MLA or APA. Lastly I usually suggest they always find a friend to read their work before submitting, its easy for others to point out flaw that can be easily missed.

I have used a number of methods to help students with improving their reading, writing, and communication skills. With reading, I encourage students to make sure that they first understand the learning objectives for the material that we are reading. This helps them focus their reading. They are then asked to summarize the information in their own words. Allowing them to complete a summary helps with the writing skills. The information is to be presented in a clear and concise manner, free of grammatical and spelling errors. Communication comes via various platforms. We have discussion boards where the students can type up their thoughts on a topic and then I conduct a weekly instructor outreach where I connect with my students on the phone individually. I don't always reach all of them but I try so that we can actually speak to each other. It makes some of my students very comfortable in seeking me out for help. There are also weekly live labs where I can be logged in at the same time that my students are online. We get to chat and discuss the course material together. I think all of this is vital in successful online education.
- Twyla Arnold

We provide our students with and orientation session that goes over strategies for communication skills. Many of our students have not been in school for quite awhile and are not use to the academic rigors. In addition, throughout their course of study, my instructors weave reading, writing skills in to the daily activities.

Melissa,

I like it too! You have to hold students to professional communication or they won't understand the importance.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eryn,

I use track changes often and now my LMS has that type of technology build in to the grading. I have also recorded me talking through a paper through a screen capture system. It is really effective and students feel that you are really talking to them.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jerome,

Do you use a rubric? I find setting expectations of the students much easier when I use a rubric for grading.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Twyla ,

Thank you for sharing your strategies. The use of a lab is such a great idea. There are publishers that provide help in that area.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Joseph,

I think that is a great idea. Do you think it helps your students address their skills?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

To help students improve their reading, writing and communication skills I find it is important to provide the right examples, set clear expectations and give clear feedback.
With reading, I think it helps to provide a guide for students that not only addresses reading skills, but also helps them to zero in on the key material for review. In writing, it is asking question to clarify their ideas and also make sure that the rubric or grading criteria are clear so they know exactly what to focus on. And in communicating, especially in the written form, it is really about, again, being clear and consistent. If we ask students to write without spelling errors, we need to be able to first model that and then give clear feedback when a mistake is made. Feedback is so important to develop all of these skills.
Best,
Stephanie

Stephanie,

Again, you make the great point about modeling actions you expect your students to do. Providing examples and modeling are keys to your students success. Nice post!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

We as instructors need to encourage the students on their efforts and provide them guidance and examples on how they can improve their reading, writing and communication skills. The on-line learner will find improvement in all three of these areas with time and practice.

Since I am teaching an online course I am helping with the writing and communication skills mostly. While I try for constructive criticism I also give plenty of examples and guidelines for my students to follow. I also give specific feedback on the areas of improvements. This is the best thing is the specific feedback

William,

You make a great point. We can provide them with resources that will help them and give them constructive feedback that will help them improve their work. We still have to hold them to expectations that will also help them improve.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sarah,

I agree with you. I started using the journaling function of my LMS to help students develop a professional development plan. I will give students feedback regarding a specific skill or assignment. They have to create a journal entry to tell me how they are going to improve their writing based on my feedback. I hold them to it in the next assignment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I never truly had to show them anything of this except via feedback in the discussions, or perhaps via the rubrics. To show them references of where they can improve can help, however, do they go there and use them as they are pressed for time? I think they may react better to see they misspelled or perhaps did not capitalize by letting them know and use spell check. Taking away the appropriate points help them improve as this is significant for them to pass.

Marco,

I agree with you. They need to see that poor communication has consequences. I make students write to me in proper English through their email. I have rubrics for everything. That way they know exactly what is expected of them.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment