Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics

I have found rubrics to be extremely helpful in my online classes. Not only does it provide students with clear cut guidelines on what is expected of them, it keeps me on track with grading consistently as well. Thus when I communicate back to my students as to why they received a certain grade, I can do that more clearly and refer them back to the rubric.

Ellen,

Right on. Rubrics should be effectively designed to help both students and instructors. Nice job.

I agree with you Ellen! Rubrics are essential to the online learning environment. In a physical classroom setting the instructor can "hit the high points" of the upcoming assignment and emphasize the importance of certain features. But in an online format that assignment is pre-published without much involvement by the instructor until after it has been submitted for grading. It is therefore important that students know what the grading criteria is. Rubrics break down the assignment into its basic components to let the learner know exactly how he/she was graded.

And you have to stick to the grading criteria, especially when a student is asking for extra credit assignments or points to reach the next letter gade.

Virginia,

Right on! Good rubrics help the student and the instructor and help tie the assignment/project to the learning outcomes. Nice job.

Marshall,

Yes, that's why they are there. The criteria are essential for helping students understand what is expected of them and help instructor be consistent in their evaluation. Nice job.

I am right there with you on this. Having rubrics gives the students guidance when completing their assignments. It really does establish a more objective way to grade and allows the student and instructor a better way to communicate regarding ways to improve on their assignments.

Would never do without them.

Good website:

http://www.teachervision.fen.com/teaching-methods-and-management/rubrics/4522.html

Dawn Huber

I can guarantee that none of my professors in undergraduate or graduate school used a rubric when grading my deliverables. Some, but not all, had clearly communicated assignment expectations. Some professors played hide the ball and others made you chase your tail. But, none of them used a silly spread sheet in which you assign a score to an area and total up the points.

I attended traditional, land grant universities and I would stack the quality of my education up against anyone.

So, if my educational experience was good enough why do many educators feel rubrics are so important today? Is it because they "appear" to be objective even though they are NOT? Is it some other reason? I really don't see the value in a rubric when one has clear course and assignment expectations. Also, some subjects like math, hard sciences and grammar do not require a rubric.

I absolutely agree that rubrics can be beneficial. They can provide clear guidelines of what is expected of them, and it does help keep them on track. However, they must be effectively put together so that it is easily understandable, and that it provides clear details of expectations.

Dawn ,

Dawn ,

Right in. Rubrics help us all.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

David,

David,

Agreed. Thanks.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Alexander,

Wow! Sad no one was educated enough to use rubrics.

Unlike today, the majority of my professors were tenured, published, experts in their field. Yes, I'm old enough to remember those days. My professors went through each paper and red lined any good points, mistakes or suggested improvements. Classes were smaller and professors were not burdened with the administrative "stuff" we do now, including this training.

And, the majority of my grades were determined on a midterm and/or final and a final writing assignment. That's it. None of this weekly assignment make work baloney we see in the online environment. That's so high school.

I thank god I was taught critical thinking and that my professors DID NOT use a rubric to assess my work.

Alexander,

Wow - sounds like you have some strong feelings. I am a tenured professor, published and know my content and I still make my students think critically AND use rubrics to assess their work. Thanks for your input.
'

I am a full time professor and also an attorney. I get my students to think so critically their heads hurt at the end of class and I do not use rubrics to assess their deliverables for the reasons I stated in my previous posts. Rubrics are no more objective or better at assessing student work than providing clear course and assignment expectations.

Some subjects cannot be assessed using a rubric as the answer to the question is either right or wrong. And, standardized rubrics (which many schools/departments are attempting to implement) cannot be applied equally because not all faculties are equal in talent and knowledge causing inconsistencies in their application. This is one of the down sides when trying to apply 6 Sigma principles to academia. Faculty and students are not widgets.

It appears this is a point we will not see eye to eye on. Regardless, this discussion has been interesting.

Alexander,

I think there is a place and time for rubrics. As we have stated before, the content, students and level of the course many times determine assessment needs. Thanks for sharing.

Ellen,
I use to hate the use of rubrics, but I have changed and I think they should be a part of every assignment. When you have clear rubrics to follow it takes away the some of the subjectivity.

Dale,

Im glad yo uhave changed you mind. Many times when I run up against someone who hates rubrics it's because they've never used a good one. The criteria, standards, and connection to the objectives are essential. Thanks!

I think the use of Rubrics is very useful, particularly in an online course. I use Rubrics to communicate what is expected and then reference the different items in the rubric when providing feedback in grading assignments. That really has helped with questions and the understanding for what was wrong or what was right on the assignment.

Craig,

Effective rubrics do help answers questions as the expectations should be clearly laid out. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment