Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I actually agree with you but I try to go through every paper to find every “mistake” or “misunderstanding”... given the amount of time for my feedback.

The mistake that is made by some evaluators is that a redline is an assignment error. I use my bold face to suggest alternatives, better ideas, other approaches, other views ... and I do NOT remove points for these suggestions.

I am a "longer lived" (politically correct, right) person, and I remember the red marks which meant a loss of points. However, I use the red marks to suggest how to improve communication and to enhance critical thinking.

For me critical thinking and better communication skills are two most important objectives of an successful education experience.

Albert,

When providing feedback, some assignments/projects take longer to provide feedback than others. Try not to assign all assignments/projects that take too much time to provide feedback as students will not get timely feedback.

Without a question, providing rubrics for assignments the first day of class is an essential not only for students but to the facilitator. It assists students to plan assignments as well as how to excel, it minimizes “grade surprises”, diminishes unnecessary emails—win-win situation… Excellent way to communicate… Rolando

Rolando,

I like teaching with no surprises. Keep providing the rubrics and communicating with the students.

I also did not like to use rubrics, but they have been incredibly helpful! It keeps me on track with student expectations and provide a simple method for students to understand why they received that particular grade.

Sue,

Glad you are using them now to help students understand the expectations and grade fairly. Thanks for your input.

I am a big fan of rubrics. I think they are not only a good assessment tool, but also a good teaching tool. teaching to the rubric during the content lesson can demonstrate different examples of good, fair, and poor work. Doing this has helped in the quality of assignments my students are turning in.

Joe,

Me too! Rubrics are one of these tools that help both the student and the instructor. Thanks!

Sign In to comment