Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Avoiding texting language

I require my students to communicate with me frequently through technology. This activity prepares them to deveop their communication skills through these methods and developing proper writing skills and avoiding texting language.

Mark,

Good job. As the students understand our expectations and professional communication, they can meet our standards. Thanks.

I have often had students even use texting language in their submitted assignments. Per my list of Student Expectations, I relate that texting language is not allowed in any communication in the course.

If students continue to use texting language, how should, to whom should they be referred to in the school administration regarding this issue?

- Dr. Eileen Wibbeke

Eileen,

We don't have a particular person to refer them to at the school, the student simply does not receive credit for whatever he/she posted. For example, I have a rubric for discussion board postings and if they use texting language, they do not receive credit. If they email me and there is texting language, I simply send it back and ask that they constructive a professional communication email and resend. Hope this helps.

Eileen, if I may, as Dr. Crews suggests, you may provide the formative feedback and mention not to use slang, jargon, etc, in the assignment. You may also just send a note to the student advisor, so when they call them for their weekly contact, they can mention this as to reinforce the message.

Debra & Eileen,

Good information. Thanks for sharing and continuing the conversation.

In an effort to prevent my students from using texting language in their formal work, I remind them to read their communication out loud before sending it. This can help students to see where they are taking language shortcuts.

kelli,

Excellent tip. And, it puts more ownership on the students. Thanks for sharing.

Exactly what I do as well Kelli. I often inform students in the grading comments to read out-loud the response so they can hear mistakes and to ensure that it is the actual message they are trying to convey. It is good to see others using the same approach.

Sloan and Kelli,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. It's good to see what others do and know we're "not alone." :-)

This was a huge discussion we had within our instructors as well. I have found that actually following up personally with students as well as taking points off have helped ensure compliance.

Sarah,

Good point. That follow up is a key component. Thanks!

Eileen,

I gently encourage students to use professional language instead of suing language intended for emails or texts. I will then take one of their informal sentences and convert it into one written in a more formal tone. And finally, i refer students to the writing lab "to further practice their writing skills' which tends to be less judgmental and easier to digest for students.

Darrin and Eileen,

Keep ensuring students use professional language and serve as a role model for them. Keep up the good work.

Mark,

Not only do students need to stay away from texting language they also need to be praticing correct English and Grammar. We build into our rubrics points for spelling and grammar. I present this as being extremely important for them to practice now so that later when they enter the work force they are performing at a level that is acceptable to an employer. So many students are lacking in this area and it is really sad to see the level at which they communicate these days.

Dawn Huber

We often run across texting language in Career related documents such as cover letters and thank you notes for interviews. We've found it helpful to provide templates of proper language/grammar. Additionally I have take a paragraph the student has written, reformatted it using correct language and sent it back. When they can compare the two side by side they usually understand I'm not just being difficult. Another technique that has worked is to find a third party article from a respected source that talks about not using texting language in professional communication. Then it's not "just Career Services" who is suggesting they correct their language.

Dawn ,

Dawn ,

Right. Professional communication.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Linda,

Linda,

Templates can help tremendously. Thanks.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Mark,
I will not respond to e-mail that is written in text. Although I understand it, I will e-mail the student back and tell them I don't understand the words being used, and to please rewrite the e-mail. If I see it in a discussion thread, I will deduct points.

Dale,

I tell students (and provide an example in the syllabus) that this is a professional course and they need to communicate in a professional manner. Texting is not that professional communication I'm looking for.

Sign In to comment