Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hello,

This is a very important and interesting topic. Because technology is forever changing, I believe that it is important for instructors to become aware and efficient with the technological advancements. That being said, students and instructors tend to write in short hand because it has become "acceptable" in society. However, I take this very seriously. I often stress to my students the important of avoiding texting language. I inform my students to write as he/she speaks. Overall, it hasn't been a problem in my courses and I am very thankful for that.

Gregory Becoat

Gregory,

Yes, you have to stay current with technology and know what meets your and your students' needs. Thanks for your input.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

I fully agree with you about texting language. Texting language has a place for proper usage

I am amazed that my kids use that texting language to type a message faster than I can convey that message by talking.... My thumbs are too big for applying that texting skill.

Second, I prefer students develop writing skills for writing responses that are longer the length of a paragraph.

Albert,

Yes, thank for strengthening students writing skills. And, I've seen many a big thumb people text. ;-)

Hi Gregory,

When I first starting "texting" with friends, I would write everything in long hand. When I started receiving "text language" texts, I was confused (Yes, I am old school)and had to be schooled on what "LOL", "TTYL", etc., meant. Whereas, I know when to cut if off when typing emails in a more serious atmosphere (school, work, business), most students do not.

At the start of each new class, I post a short summary in my Announcement thread that speaks on effective communication. It includes a piece on text messaging language and how it is not acceptable in the academic environment.

I deduct point off assignments and discussion questions if a student uses text messaging language.

That is wonderful that text messing language has not been a problem for you.

Kimberly,

It is funny how the more you use it the more you conform to such communcation lingo. It's good that you emphasize professional language in a professional setting in your course. Nice job.

Communication is important when it is done properly. Students have used improper use of spelling and communication with text language instead of proper professional writing. I always deduct points for use of text language.

I discourage texting language as I have student of several generations and I have found that it can be embarrassing to some student to have to ask. I have made the request not as an edict but as a favor to me as I am not as fluent as most of my students.

Trang ,

Communication is key. Make sure you students know what is expected of them and what professional language is for your class. Keep it up.

Michael,

I tell students that communicating with a professor and others in the class is professional communication and professional language is expected. Good point on the generations. Nice to do a favor for someone.

Dale,
This is a good way to deal with getting students to stop typing in texting language. It is very unprofessional. I have even seen some students carry it over into their papers!

Hannah and Dale,

Thanks for helping us understand how to keep the students' language professional when necessary. Nice job.

Actually Dawn, I was listening to a similar discussion, looking at the lack of writing skills being taught to this generation. The students are taught writing, whether the student uses it or not, but they are not being taught the cursive writing as we once were. Not only do we see a lot of texting, but if we were receiving hand written products, the handwriting would be atrocious.

Amos,

So true. They are not being taught cursive like they used to be taught. We have to continue to teach writing in all courses, it seems.

Thanks!

Sign In to comment