Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

behavior

is a very important part of civility as well as managing of overall communication

Sanjay,

Stressing the importance of civility, respect and communication are keys to success in any classroom. Thanks for your input.

That one item can go a long way in keeping a professional, encouraging and stimulating online learning experience.

Daniel,

Yes, as the instructor you can model professional behavior and explain to the students how they need to be professional in their communication, etc. Any time the students can be engaged in the learning experience, everyone will benefit. Nice job.

There are times when students may not act in the most civil manner, and the responses can be less than cordial, so I try to steer them back on track toward discussing the topic and leaving out what may be perceived as a personal attack.

Marshall,

Yes and this is a time that I may call the student to talk about the netiquette in the class. Thanks!

Sanjay,

In my first Live chat with the students I go over the importance of respectful communication and how one should approach the instructor in regards to questions about their grades when they are upset. When I began teaching online I really did not think this would be something I would have to address (since we are dealing with adults, right)however after having a couple of sessions of students using profanity via E-mail about their grades and the way I graded it became apparent that the issue needed to be addressed from day one of the course. Since implementing this I rarely have any issues and when I do get a disrespectful E-mail, I am very blunt about stating that a response will not be forthcoming without them asking respectfully and apologizing. I am not a smile sandwich type of gal and I state it very clearly to them. It only takes one time and then communication is smooth from there forward.

Dawn Huber

Dawn ,

Dawn ,

You are setting the baseline rules. Excellent.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Sanjay,
I think it is key. No matter if it is the instructor or the student. There should be a mutual respect.

Dale,

Definitely. But you have to earn that respect and you do that by serving as an excellent role model to the students. Thanks!

eply to Dale Mancini's post

Totally agree. If there isn't mutual respect, there are distracting vibes throughout the whole course.

Sign In to comment