Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Loriann,

There are several considerations to think about when seriously considering communication tools. Thanks for your input.

There are many methods of communication; however, the are many similarities as to the basic need and function of each tool.

1. Effectiveness - how effective will this tool be in this class? While certain tools may be more effective in a class heavily based on theories versus concrete methods, a professor may find one tool more effective than another.

2. User friendly - how easy or difficult is it to use a particular tool? This idea would deal more with how tech savvy the students and instructor may be in the group. For example, I may have a 80-year-old student who us quite familiar with and uses Facebook, while I have a 30-year-old student who primarily uses e-mail, and is not tech savvy. If I make assumptions regarding the age or background of a student, I may seriously frustrate the 30-year-old student that is deficient in this area. We may need to consider that, while Facebook is pretty easy to use, more attention may need to be given to one student over another so that no one is left out or frustrated by the inability to communicate.

3. Necessity - is this particular tool really necessary to accomplish the course goals? For example, e-mail and Adobe Connect Professional may be the basics of what is needed for a particular class. I must maximize the use of those tools. However, we must consider, for example, that Twitter may not be necessary to meet course objectives. While technology is great, we can waste valuable time, resources, and risk derailing a student's progress by adding a good yet unnecessary tool to our class.

I would have to consider several points:
1) Do the students know how to use the communication tool, is it a common tool and do they have access to it? I've found that students may be using a library computer or have minimal knowledge of using or downloading different tools.
2) What am I trying to accomplish at the time? Relay a common message? If so, a group email is probably best. Review and discuss "most-missed" test questions? Then a synchronous tool such as JoinMe or a Colaborative would be best.
3) What do the student's prefer? There is no point in calling on the students on the phone if the students prefer to receive a text.

Aundrea,

You are right about that. There are many methods of communication and as the technology improves and changes, we'll see many more to come. Good examples. Thank you.

Sueanne ,

Right on! It's good to investigate the tools, make sure they do what you want and that the students are going to use them. Nice job.

Dr. Crews, it is also important to consider the technological literacy level of the students, so they are able to make full use of the online course. Agree?
Thank you.
Mike Crowley

Michael,

Absolutely. We have to know where they are when they start so we know what we need to do. I always put the technical expectations in the syllabus too.

When assessing the use of technology communication tools in a virtual learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider and why?

The type of students we have would be number one. If they are new to online, they may not be up to speed on how to use some technologies.

The use of technology, for example, is it practical for the course being taught?

Finally, the ease of use of the technology for both the instructor, and the student. Let’s face it, if he instructor has a hard time using the technology, the students will certainly also have a hard time. Trying to figure out a specific technology would take away from the purpose of the course itself.

Hi Sandy!

You bring up an excellent point about having tech support 24/7! As we have students across the globe who are all on various time zones this would indeed be a feature that should be checked into! Great post!!

Coleen,

Thanks for providing your input in this forum as questions. This helps others consider what to ask when they are looking at communication tools. Thanks again.

Coleen and Sandy,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. The tech support can "make or break" the online course environment at time. That is very important when we are dealing with different time zones. Thanks!

Dr. Tena Crews

First and foremost students have enough anxiety so it is the instructors responsibility to put them at ease. Showing them a "simplicity" of learning is our responsibility as instructors.
We have to ensure confidence to the students that we will help them in any way possible and they can communicate to us via email and we will respond within 24 hours.
Lastly, helping students fully understand the technology tools, and their class is all important.

Dr. Crews,

1. The technology must be simple and easy to use for both learners and instructors. From my experience it can be a learning curve for the instructor to be proficient using tools such as Wimba and Blackboard Collaborate. After all, when you are trying to get you message across, there certainly is no need for any miscommunication due to technology. Students become disengaged if the instructor is fumbling with technology.

2. Whatever technology that is used should be able to be recorded and embedded within the class so students can have access who cannot attend the live session. This is particularly important in an online environment as we are dealing with students virtually, from all over the world.

3. The communication must be meaningful. By this I mean that I have seen instructors merely read off the PowerPoint not offering any additional information. What is the sense? You just post the PowerPoint within the class. Students find interaction meaningful. Even the shy ones who don’t interact can sometimes find value in a live session from hearing the other student’s questions.

Believe me, I can ramble off quite a few more important things to consider, but I believe this is the top three in my experience.

Jean

Sandra,
I think that an important consideration is that you have to realize why students are taking the class online, as opposed to face-to-face. Most want the convenience of not having to attend class in a certain place at a certain time. The way that I have found overcome this is to make sure that any live technology that I use can be recorded and embedded within the class. In this way everyone gets an opportunity to review.
Jean

There are many important aspects to consider when introducing technology into the learning environment. I believe the most important considerations are:

--- ease of use --- if it is not user-friendly the students will be intimidated and not use it.
--- purpose --- assess if the technology will enhance learning by serving it's intended purpose. If not, then is it needed?
--- requirements --- determine if the technology is a requirement to learning or a supplement to enhance the existing components. what is the carrot to entice learners to use it?

Technology can be a fun, interactive component, but is has to be well-suited and purposeful.

Maureen,

And, the instructor may have anxiety as well. ;-)

Thanks for the KISS method you have described.

Jean,

If the technology is not easy to use, many will simply not use it. Without using it, the other factors will not be dealt with. Right? They won't be able to turn in assignments or communicate, etc. Good point!

Jean and Sandra,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. It's so important to record those live sessions for students to view later.

Angela,

Great points! When the technology is easy to use, the students will be more likely to use it. What a great idea. ;-p

My top three items would be:

1. Does it work? Are the students able to use the program? Is it user friendly?

2. Is it easy to access? Does it require certain specs on the learners computers?

3. Cost. Is the program being used because it is the "latest and greatest"?

I have taught online for several years and I'm finding that sometimes by upgrading to what is thought to be better, really is not.

Valerie

Sign In to comment