Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Patty,

Yes, we do have to understand what the students are capable of, especially with technology, and how to best use the technology communication too. Troubleshooting should be easy and quick to apply. Thanks!

Hello, everyone. I believe the following characteristics are most important regarding communication tools in a virtual learning environment.

1. They should be easy to understand and navigate. Having to deal with additional strain because of technological complications and mishaps can often be too much for students and instructors.

2. There are useful and responsive resources available if there are challenges. If there are questions, there should be availability to have the concerns addressed.

3. Tools shouldn't cost students financially. Additional expenses are often undesired.

Stacy,

Communication must be easy and the students must be able to use whatever tools are in place. That way, they will actually use the tools and communicate as needed. Students will be more likely to communicate and be an active part of the course. Thanks!

In considering technology tools for an online class the three important items to consider are:
-Do that tool give access to the whole class or would it be set up for one to one access.
-Does the tool have a capability to accurately give the student the needed information for the class.
-Does the tool actually aid and assist in the classroom environment or is it just another way to get in the way from the learning process.

Michael,

You bring up some very good points. We do need to make sure the technology works for all students and that it works as it should. Thanks again for your input.

The three most important things to consider in assessing the use of technology communication tools in a virtual learning environment are:

1) Accessibility- Is it easy to use and high-quality for online learning?

2) Usage- Was it used often by students when its features were presented? Did it improve the course experience?

3) Feedback- What were the students responses or suggestions of these technology communication tools?

As an online facilitator, it is essential to stay current and knowledgeable of the latest technology communication tools for the improvement and advancement of teaching within the online learning environment.

As many already responded, a tool must be chosen that is user- friendly and cost effective. However, most importantly is the attitude of the instructor managing the tool. Just as a classroom teacher should be warm and encouraging, so too, an online teacher must work to display warmth and encouragement via technology communication tools.

Tools for the online learning environment:

1. Understand the audience - how will the students be using that technology.
2. Ensure that the navigation is intuitive for the users.
3. Communication: Whether it is email, skype, forums or IM. It is important to communicate based on what could be best for the student to respond to.

Melissa,

Accessibility, usage, and feedback are all essential. The technology must be readily available to all students and they must be able to use them with relative ease. If not, the students will not use them to their fullest potential. Thanks!

Hava,

Yes, you are right on track with your comments. Thanks for continuing the conversations and I like that you added to display warmth and get the students on the right track as well to use the tools. Thank you.

Ola,

The audience analysis is important for any audience, but especially when your audience is a group of students. Using the communication tools that work for you and your students is essential. Thanks for your input.

When assessing the use of technology communication tools in a LMS, here are three important things to consider:

1. Easy navigation/use for everyone. Many of my courses have younger students who are used to technology, as well as older students who aren't as familiar. Some students get easily frustrated with technology if they can't figure it out within a few minutes.

2. Reliability. It should always be working properly! And you never want to hear the excuse "well, I tried, but it wasn't working so I couldn't do the homework..." =)

3. Does the tool actively participate in the desired goals for the course? It should be relevant.

In my opinion, the three most important things to consider are:

-It is easy to use/navigate.
-It is free to the students.
-It is not too time consuming to setup and maintain.

I would like to incorporate a personal "class" website where I can house all the resources for the week, lessons, videos, etc. As long as it meets the above points, then it should be an added success!

Kelly,

I like communicating through the LMS and helping students get used to check the LMS daily. We do have to be careful to use the right tools and make sure the students can access the tools to get the maximum communication available through the tools. Thanks for sharing.

Jeremy,

You bring up some very good points. It is important to consider the communication tools and assess them to make sure they are working effectively for the students and for us. Thanks!

The three most important things in using technology communication tools in a virtual learning environment are:

1. The page cannot be too flashy or it will be distracting. Try also to avoid pages that contain a lot of internet ads.
2. The layout of the page. Use a conservative font and color to make it easy and enjoyable for the reader.
3. Make sure everything is easy to access and that all of the links are working.

Jared,

We definitely do not want to distract students while they are trying to learn and/or communicate. Making sure the information students need is easily accessible and the navigation is working properly is great. Thanks!

Hi everyone. When assessing the use of technology communication tools in an online environment the three most important things to consider are the ease of accessing and using the tool, the reliability that the tool will not fail, and being able to use all the features of the tool. If students have a difficult time gaining access to the tool, they will become frustrated and not feel motivated. If the tool does not work properly or has constant technical issues, than it really should not serve a purpose in the course. If students are not familiar with all the aspects of the tool, they might not be getting the full benefits. In my experience, most faculty do not have freedom in selecting what tools to use particularly if employed at a for-profit institution. What are the advantages as well as disadvantages of allowing faculty to decide what tools to use in their virtual classes?

Jay

Jay,

We do have to make sure students can access and use the technology tool effectively. We can also assess the tool to make sure it's doing what we want it to do. When faculty decide what tools to use, they typically think about the things you discussed in this forum post and they are typically familiar with the tool. That is helpful. Thanks for your post.

In the online environment I think its important to utilize the resources available to you and what fits with your teaching style. I'm not a social media geek, bu I'm familiar and comfortable with social media. Considering it is a tool that students are already using it makes sense to use some type of social media. I also think its important to use effective, clear, and concise communication formats with students. I'm a firm believer of minimizing text shorthand when using emails, but if creating a social media outlet then it's fine. Finally, I believe clear communication on the part of the instructor is extremely important. Being able to effectively communicate such things as policies, expectations, etc. are critical for instructors. Because you're not in a F2F format, its even more significant that instructors are clear about the structure of the course.

Anthony

Sign In to comment