Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cynthia,

True. When the instructor does not know how to use the technology, it makes it difficult to explain to others how to use it or use it effectively. Thanks!

Pamela,

Yes, does the technology move us forward. We need to make sure the ease of use is at the right level and students and the instructor can all move forward using the technology. Nice job.

Pamela,

Thanks! Sometimes a person will use a word that sticks with us. Someone must have told me that the technology should be "transparent" and it stuck with me. ;-)

Hello Dr. Crews,

I believe the three most important things to consider are:
- The relative ease of using the tool. This is important so that those who are not as tech-savvy will feel comfortable using the tool.
- Will the tool will genuinely improve communication in the course or simply add another layer? For example, if your course platform already has a social site built into it, it may be easier to encourage students to use that site as opposed to asking them to use an outside site like Facebook where distractions abound!
- Are the tools appropriate for the course content? Some tools may be better for certain courses. A tool with a whiteboard option may be better suited for a math course as opposed to using text messaging or social networking.

Ester,

Nice list, Ester. You have made me thinks about a few things I may not be stressing enough in this forum and that the social sites that can be utilized as communication tools as well. You're right in that different tools are appropriate for different content (i.e., whiteboard and math). Thanks!

I agree with much of what has already been discussed in this forum. The tool needs to be the right tool for the right time, and it needs to be (virtually) transparent. I have also found that students don't like having to go to several different sites, but instead prefer "one-stop shopping." Therefore, I limit my communication with them to the messaging boards in my LMS, the university email system, sometimes I text them, they can also call me on the phone, and they can access me via Skype or Google+. I have set up Facebook pages in the past, and tried using HootCourse, and next semester I'm going to try Twitter. But we also need to ask if we are using the technology because it's there, or because it really enhances some vital part of the classroom. I like the idea of Remind101, but for the majority of the needs of the class, LMS, texting and email seems to work just fine.

Erin,

We all have technologies that work for us. I think the key is to use what works for your students, content and you. Thanks for sharing.

I believe the tone or emotion involved in the message can be lost in a black and white world of typed text. I experience this with my adult deaf daughter when we text each other because she does not have access to my facial expression, and when we are speaking face to face she cannot hear my tone of voice. Those two things cannot be experienced in a virtual classroom.
We also need to consider the mental capacity, or emotional status of the student. A phrase can have many meanings taken in different context.
I think language barriers top off the trilogy of communication, cultural differences can make something that is communicated change into something else.

One of the most important attributes of technology tools is that it must be user friendly, be applicable to the learning objectives, and be compatible with the LMCS.

1. Ease of use and the ability to access and navigate the features effectively. Often times, having an instructional guide or single sheet tutorial to hand out is useful and much appreciated especially if students are unfamiliar with the particular technology tool being used.

2. That it is compatible with all browsers. I’m experiencing a situation at this time where many of my students have issues running certain programs because it requires Java or some other feature in order to run properly, especially with Collaborate, Illuminate, or even WebEx. Often this leads to a lot of frustrations and I often find that I must have alternatives available and will often suggest running a Join Me session to deliver a presentation.

3. To ensure that the tool is appropriate for the course and that it conveys the message pragmatically. I currently work for two separate institutions where I was asked to represent both as the Online Librarian. Although we have a library system what we lacked was “library service”. For a while, many students were provided with a handout of where and how to access the library databases but without clear instructions or examples on how to navigate the site or even how to make a selection based on their information needs. There was further a lack of communication on the importance of information literacy and as such, most students did not understand the value of scholarly, peer-reviewed resources and opted instead on using Wikipedia or any blog post that they came across in a Google search. One idea was to create a video tutorial of the library, which works, but personally does not offer students the ability for meeting or connecting with the librarian. Given that our campus works primarily with remote students and our library is not set up as a physical space with a physical collection, the idea was to provide group orientations where students could sign into a meeting and receive a virtual tour of the library. Handouts and a web recording are also provided as a follow up to the meeting and were dispensed to other students who were unable to attend due to scheduling conflicts.

The Three most important things to consider:
1. understandable- does the student know how to use it.
2. navigation-will the student understand where to find important information so they are successful in the course.
3. Match the right tool for the right reason for both the student and the instructor.

The three most important things to consider when assessing the use of technology communication tools are:

1) effectiveness - it should allow me to communicate what I need to say.
2) simplicity - it should be the simplest tool for the job. No need to add unnecessary complications.
3) engaging - it should be enjoyable and satisfying to use.

I think simplicity is the most overlooked factor, as we tend to get caught up in the latest, greatest technology. I like that the lesson talked about the merits of a simple personal phone call to the student. This is a great and simple way to make a powerful connection.

Judy,

You are so right. Tone is important and many times can be lost. We must think carefully as we communicate with all students.

Thanks.

Penelope,

The technology tools lead to student achievement and them meeting the learning outcomes. Thanks for your input.

Chezree,

Thanks for your detailed response. You provide much for others to think about. Thanks again.

Aida,

Absolutely. The students have to be able to use it and it has to help the students achieve the learning outcomes. Thanks.

Matthew,

Keep it simple silly. Tat could be out motto for any things. Thanks.

For me, the most effective tools in the online environment are:

1. Telephone: Students have the chance to openly discuss confusion and get immediate feedback. They also get the personal connection that is so frequently lacking in the online classroom.

2. Discussion Board: With a questions/comments/concerns thread, students get to ask questions and talk to one another about issues in the classroom. Students also get to see what questions other students have they may not have thought to ask.

3. E-mail: E-mail is immediate enough that I2S and S2I communication can occur throughout the day.

Megan,

Many of you seem to use the phone more than I do. It is good for us to see how others use the different technologies for effective communication. Thanks for your input.

Interface design - This facilitates communication and access to content and the teacher.

System reliability - It is no good if it is not running.

Cost - Nothing happens without money.

Sign In to comment