Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active Learning Technologies

As an online instructor, what free technology tools do you have available to incorporate active learning in your classes?

1) An online camera that allows me to show students actual items and point out unique characteristics
2) The chat box for reading and then responding to student questions during live chats sessions.
3) Graphics tablet and whiteboard for drawing and demonstrating points of interest.

There are several tools at my disposal when engaging students bi-weekly in "Live Chat" discussions. Through the use of Adobe Connect software, students can gather in the same cyberspace "meeting room" where they will see my PowerPoint presentations, my desktop, as well as see me (via Webcam) and hear me. The virtual classroom provides an excellent opportunity for presenting material, reinforcing concepts and receiving feedback from the students through a Q&A process.

I have several tools available to use in my classroom. They include
1) Collaborate or WebEx - students can view my presentation, documents, or powerpoints as well as actively chat with me
2) Chat room - students can chat with me in the chat room located in the blackboard
3) Discussion boards - this encourages group discussions and interaction

I have access to Collaborate. Collaborate allows the instructor to share their computer desk tops with students and view informative videos that will help them be successful in the course. By sharing this technology; instructors expose students to additional resources when doing research assignments and preparing for exams. They are now informed of these free technologies and begin to access them without the assistance or direction of the instructor.

Shundra Mosby

In my current online courses, I am able to use Adobe Connect to facilitate Live Chat sessions with my students. This is a great opportunity to help answer questions about the weekly topic as well as build community. There is also a built in instant messenger tool where students can contact me anytime I am logged onto the portal. Being available and approachable are key elements as a successful online faculty member. Do faculty need to get permission to use free technology tools that are not embedded in the LMS particularly if they are affiliated at a for-profit institution? What is the rule of thumb?

Jay Familant

Jay,

No, instructors should be able to use whatever technology tools they wish. With the thousands out there, there should be one that works well with the instructor and their needs.

Renee Shaffer

Discussion boards and web ex sessions are a couple. These can be helpful to increase student activity.

Jan

Jay:
I forgot about the 'instant messenger' tool. This is a great way to have students contact you about questions for 'active' learning!

Jan

Steven:

I also forgot about the camera!
That brings the course alive for our students - great add!

Jan

The following tools are available via our online classroom:
1. Adobe Connect for weekly live chats
2. Discussion boards
3. Instant messaging with students, for use during office hours
4. For group projects, the groups have their own discussion board and live chat area they can use.
5. We have a file share area where I can upload files to share with the students.
6. Email

The combination of these tools provides a variety of ways to interact with the students. For students where this is not their first class, this combination seems to go well. For new students, I think it can be rather overwhelming for them. I always reach out to the students when the class starts via email and ask how long they've been with the university, to get an idea of who may need a little extra help.

Stephanie,

Yes, it can be overwhelming for new students. Ususally no one is there to show them how to expedite the course, so it is essential that the instructor give them examples and explicit directions like through a video on how to succeed.

Renee Shaffer

I love using the discussion board. That way, students really get a sense that they are 'heard' and active members of a group, which is the classroom.

lisa,

It can really help students who may be more introverted and quiet in the classroom to have a voice.
Renee Shaffer

We have the Adobe connect and can use the whiteboard as needed --

I like to use eye-jot and Jing to create communication with the students. Both tools are free and easy to incorporate into the discussion board, announcement board, and email.

Lisa,
I have never used eye-jot but will go look at it right now. I wonder how user friendly it is for students with disabilities, ie. can you easily make a transcript.

Renee Shaffer

One technology used to create and incorporate active learning that we have implemented in our institution is KLASS. This allows the students to communicate with each other and allow for help with time management. I believe it is important to have a highly-structured active learning strategy (e.g., short writing activities, debates, case studies).

Weekly live labs through Connect enable real time interaction and feedback. Students have to do some homework and then "discuss" it.
I also have office hours so that students can book time with me.
One goal I have is to learn to use Prezi to encourage more active learning.
Tina

Hello Renee,

Online technology can do wonders to help your students. They also help me by preparing the students for the information that they are trying to understand and retain. This alleviates headaches when grading test and essays. It also helps me feel great when I have a high rate of students passing in my course. Some of the tools I use are discussion forums, youtube.com, and blogs. These tools keep my student's engage and help them feel like I am reachable.

Liz

Sign In to comment