Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When students are fully engaged in a task, they are actively doing and actively thinking. While hands are engaged, minds should be questioning, sorting through sensory input, and making connections.
The world of social media and the internet technology, every resource is at the stroke of a key.

LS

LaShanta ,
So true. Thanks for being in the class.

Renee Shaffer

I use the whiteboard, power points, videos, youtube, and recorded lectures to enhance my deliveries.

Most of the classes I teach are software base. Most of these software have free tutorials that have been developed by the manufacturers and they are free to those that have licenses. I give the student a list of the most critical tutorials for them to watch and follow. They are not part of the assignment but I encourage to listen to them some days prior to the assignment. That way there is a better understanding of the scope of work and procedures to follow.

V

Virginia,

So glad to know that you are making use for the supplemental resources that come along with the textbooks. Thanks for being in the class.

Renee Shaffer

We've used voice thread, skype, audacity, and jing into classes to help with more active learning. free is always good by me. Also, we have free access to lync via our college's Microsoft Outlook email system :)

It depends on what I am teaching. For example:

If it's a logic class, my students need hands-on learning, so I use course tools providing immediate feedback

If it's a class which is more theory-based, Adobe Live works well with weekly lectures to help students understand more of the esoteric-type topics which the reading materials do not always do a good job in explaining

For both types, I also use weekly discussion board; this helps create a non-threatening approach for students as well as a chance to learn from peers.

Jerry Voltura

Jerry,

How is the discussion board working for you? Lately my students have been refusing to participate in it. Thanks for being in the class.

Renee Shaffer

I like to incorporate YouTube videos into my active learning classrooms. Videos are can be interpreted in many different ways, and usually allows for great class discussions.

I have discussed some of this one earlier: Google Trek (used to track the life travels of former slave Olaudah Equiano); WebQuest (used as PBL activity where students decided whether or not Margaret Garner should be convicted in Ohio for killing a person or Kentucky for killing property); Scaffolded Readings (a website where students give an more in-depth reading of Phillis Wheatley's poem "On Being Brought From Africa to America"); and numerous YouTube videos!! These are just a few that I can remember. A few years ago I completed the MEd in Instructional Technology. That program taught me a great deal about the technologies we can use in our classrooms, whether online or f2f. :-)

Willie ,

Love the information on what you are using in the classroom.

Renee Shaffer

Sign In to comment