Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing Time

The course mentions giving time management ideas to students. What would you consider to be some useful and more importantly, workable ones?

Hi Mark-

Mind Tools usually has some pretty good time management tools. I also like to hold an open discussion on what tips students use and they can have a converstaion amongst each other. Also you can suggest making a schedule, a to-do list, using Outlook or a PDA, etc.

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/main/newMN_HTE.htm

I would talk about breaking course assignments into sections. I use research, draft, final draft and assignment submission. So many wait until the due date and then panic because the assignment seems overwhelming.

Sorry Mark, I am not sure what you are asking. Workable time management ideas for students?

I would also suggest asking students to share their best online class organization techniques in a discussion forum. Students might have some tips on how they organize their time that we never would think of!

One technique I have used is to pair successful student volunteers who are familiar with the CMS and the flow of our online courses with new students in order to mentor them through the first few weeks of using the system. It fosters a sense of community as well as better problem-solving skills when students are having technical or other issues.

Managing time - this is different for each student, and yes the instructors as well. As each of us have our own priorities and committments, what might work for some might not work for others.

As for useful and workable ideas depends on the person's style and preference. Naturally, we have to start with obtaining an organizer - though we have those online, sometimes technology can't keep up with us.

I normally tell students to enter evrything in an online calendar first. This way its easier to see the information while its in front of you not to mention its easier to make adjustments. The most important topic that people seem to forget is travel time to and form their destination - yes this part of your day as well.

As for class time, and by experience, my rule of thumb is to double the credit hours for the class and this is how much time you need to allocate into your calendar. I usually inform students to only go out as far as the term so they don't overwhelm themselves and to expect changes - as they always happen.

Once the information is entered online they can tranferr it to their organizer or as I, and I'm sure several people have as well, enter the information into your cell phone with reminder alarms. This way you are not constantly looking for your organzier.

The time managament advice I give to students is:
They need to think of their online class/es the same way they think of on campus classes. On campus classes are 4 hours long and are on set days and times. I tell the student since the online classes are 24/7, they need to look at their schedule and decide what days and times work best for them and make that their school schedule with no interruptions. I tell them, during the times they set, if anyone asks them to go to the movies, the beach, lunch, etc... let them know that you are in class and when you are done, you will be more than happy to accomodate their invite/s.

That is a good idea Alison. Thanks for sharing it with the group.

Those are good tips to share with students Sabina. Thank you for sharing them with the rest of us.

Those are good tips to share with students. Scheduling time to meet the requirements of the course is important--actually, it is one of the keys to success.

I agree with Mark on the techniques he offered to aid students in using proper time management skills.

I have created a calendar. It shows students when their assignments are due and they can write in other events they may have planned.

Also, some have Black Berry's and they can use that calendar and set the alarm to remind them days before the assignment is due.

They can use outlook to input their important school data and set reminders.

Time Management is one the skills that if used properly will be very beneficial in obtaining goals. Also, by setting priorities it can ensure students do the most urgent task before the deadline approaches.

Practice on the machine every day just to open up the pathways! If you cannot do a long session,
just picture the writing in your head.

Amazingly, many students do not keep a calendar or date book! They actually depend upon their memory! (And guess what doesn't work very well...) How many times have I received a late paper with the comment, "I thought this was due NEXT week!" So I do encourage students to use a planner of some sort.

I would suggest planning ahead and leave extra time to complete a task.
It’s very easy to under estimate time needed to do a project.
It’s better to have extra time to complete your work.

Very good suggestion. Managing to sit and organize thoughts into an outline and a draft is the biggest, sometimes most important part of the assignment, and communication this to them is crucial. Breaking the components down can reduce having to do a quick job all at once; but the student must begin the process early enough in the week. In addition, many online students have not been in school for MANY years. Having some citation, essay, and research writing guidelines in the Class Content is a great way to get the students refreshed and ready. That can really help the students with the new barrage of writing they are about to experience and polish the skills they will need.

Great suggestions of your own Gina! It is a good reminder that sometimes our students haven't been in school for many years, so it is nice if we can provide them with some guidance as they are coming back to school. Thanks for your post Gina.

I like to have a discussion with students in the online classroom to discuss what they consider to be some time management strategies. This gives me an idea of how many of my students "ideally" manage their time. Also, this discussion gives me an opportunity to share some strategies and techniques with students.

I like this suggestion. I also post exemplars of assignments for students to review as well. This usually is good for my visual learners.

I also encourage some of my students to purchase an agenda or use an electronic calendar to keep track of guidelines for upcoming assignments.

Sign In to comment