Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mandatory Participation in Syncronous Discussions

Should participation in sycronous discussions be mandatory?

Interesting question Debra. I think synchronous instruction has some advantages and some disadvantages. Some of the advantages are using one more technique to reach students, students being able to ask questions as they come up, and having one more way to determine whether a student is understanding the material. The major problem with it is that it takes away one of the primary advantages of online learning, which is the students ability to work on the class when they have the time to do it.

What do you think Debra?

I agree, Michele. One of the main reasons students like online courses is the asynchronous nature of the enterprise; they do not have to be in class at a specific time. Requiring attendance at live chats at specific times cancels out this element. I also agree that synchronous chats are one more way to reach students, but when attendance is not required many students choose not to attend. Yes, they can probably listen to an archive, but then the course really is asynchronous, except for the instructor and the few students who attend the live chats.

Scheduling is always a challenge. Other than Sunday as I take one day off per week,I have not found an ideal time for synchronous chats. People are simply too busy and adult learners have so much on their plates. I settle for a reasonable time and hope for the best. I have learned to enjoy the group whatever the size.

Hi Debra and all,

No. So far as I can tell, a good many universities and even public institutions promote online instruction as a means of working at one's own pace and on one's own time. To make synchronous chats mandatory is false advertising.

Beyond this, synchronous chats are not good for much when teaching groups. They are hard for many students to keep up with and participate in, and the person with the best typing skills often wins. This is not to mention the damage it seems to be doing to people's grammar by fostering the idea that texting is an acceptable form of correct writing.

If you want to make something mandatory that will help keep students engaged, make deadlines mandatory. Turning everything in at the last day seems counter to the educational process.

I read about synchronous discussion boards. Although I have never ran into a synchronous discussion board myself, it seems to be quite interesting. I do not believe the synchronous discussions should be mandatory. We do have synchronous chat sessions at one of the universities I teach for, but the format isn't all that popular. In fact, students are not mandated to attend and so typically in a class of 30 or 35, I may have one or two students show up at any given synchronous chat session. I am currently an online Ph.D. student, and I can tell you that I would not be attracted to the synchronous format. I chose online learning because of its flexibility. I can take my work anywhere and attempt to complete my assignments at my convenience. I believe synchronous discussion distracts from this flexibility.

You bring up terrific points Paul. Thanks for sharing with the group.

No. The entire point of taking a class online is the flexibity of schedule. With people in different time zones, not to mention those internatiionally. Mandatory participation in syncronus discussiontakes us one step backward.

If it is imperative to be part of the discussion,then the session should be either asyncronous or poll the students in the class to see which time and day is feasible for them. This way the students can set a time aside (ahead of schedule) to accommadate the request.

No, I don't think these should be mandatory. If that were the case, what would the difference between online and showing up in a traditional class (other than being in the comfort of your own home)? the reason many students go to online learning is to accomodate their busy and changing schedules. To make it mandatory defeats that purpose.

Since the school for whom I teach does not make live chats mandatory, I can hardly grade students on participation.
However, in the old FTF world, I experimented with this method, and it was always problematic. What if you have a brilliant but horribly shy student? Should this student who is producing work that is far above the work of all others be penalized for being an introvert? I don't think so. And yet, as teachers, we want lively discussions in which many people participate.

Tough call.

As others have observed, requiring participation in synchronous discussions is defeating an important purpose of online education: being able to complete the work on one's own schedule. The logistics of synchronous discussions would be a nightmare, with many students undoubtedly being left out. This would have a seriously negative impact on the learning experience for those students.

At one university where I teach we have to conduct two chat sessions per week. Attendance is not required, so the number of people attending is typically very small. Archives are available, but I doubt that many students take advantage of them. It's really rather discouraging to take the time to prepare for the chats when so few people take advantage of them. When push comes to shove, the chats are all about the people who do show up.

That is a good idea to poll the students to determine what time/day works best for them--if it is critical to have a live discussion. Thanks Sabina.

You do present a tough situation, but I think it is a challenge that teachers face in the residential world as well. As a speech teacher, I have faced this challenge often. However, your point is certainly valid. Thanks Christopher.

Hi Sandra. Do you know the rationale for requiring two chat sessions per week where attendance is not required?

Hi All,

I do not think that syncronous discussions should be mandatory. It would be nearly impossible to find times that would accomodate everyon's schedule and it eliminates the ability of a student to work at their own pace. I typically only have five or six students participate in each live chat session, but many more students will send an email asking about topics that we specifically discussed in the chats.Since the chats are not mandatory, many students will not make any efforts to review them. I use their email questions as an opportunity to encourage those students to then review the recorded chats. I am often amazed by the number of students who will review then chats and come back to me and say that it helped clarify the answer for them or that they did not even think to review the chats. I have to admit however, that it can be discouraging at times when a lot of effort on my part was expended for very few students to participate.

I am sure that is discouraging when students don't participate in your chats after you have prepared for them. However, I do think having 5 or 6 students show up when it is not mandatory is a good sign that students appreciate the chats.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject Karen.

No. I have no idea where the number came from. It totals ten chats per course. It is very discouraging because so few people attend.

How I wish we could make our chats mandatory. We prepare for them and when only 3-6 people show up (out of 35), it's discouraging for us. But then the chats aren't for us, they're for the students. Considering all the time zones, it would be difficult to find a time that's suitable for everyone, so making them mandatory is not an option.

Time zones can be a problem with making chats mandatory, but I also think, as it has been suggested by others in this discussion, that it takes one of the advantages of online learning away--flexibility to complete the work when the student can. Thanks for your comments!

Due to varying time zone, work schedules, etc. I do not feel that Synchronous Discussions should be mandatory for attendance unless students can pick the time they want the class. However, I feel these sessions should be recorded and students are responsible to review the transcripts before the week ends.

Sign In to comment