Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is a great topic, Debra. I wish it could be mandatory, but my school does not require it. I often find that those students who attend the Live Chats achieve much better grades in class.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to influence the administration to change the rules regarding Live Chats?

Thanks!

Hello Jennifer, you do make a good point. Sometimes, I do believe that it should mandatory but then I realize that the flexibility will go out of the window if that becomes the case. Many students are taking online college because of its flexibility, and they are having challenges alone trying to balance work/life, and managing time, and or obligations. I do like that our synochronous discussions, if you will, or live chat's are recorded with in itself adds to the flexibility of online education. That way students can (if they choose to), go back and not only listen to the chat but also review it visually, and get the information they that need in order to make their online experience and academic journey successful. The problem is, that I know that many students choose not to even review the archives to the chats, and it is usually a disadvantage for them.

I think this is fair because many of my student work, travel far to and from work,and school. If I impose a mandatory participation time on them this could be unreasonable. So I make it clear to the students that they need to put forth and effort.

No, I do not believe participation in synchronous discussions should be mandatory. The majority of online students work and have family responsibilities. To make the discussions mandatory would place an unnecessary burden on students. As a result, I believe many students would drop out of the online course.

Hi Kim, how do you get students to engage in discussions if they are not mandatory? My experience is that most learners will not engage in activities that are not required? Tina

only if this is pertaining to an individual student it should be mandatory. for a hole class to do it may be hard because some will participate and others will not.

Latasha,
Yes, this is true. People have busy schedules.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Sign In to comment