Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is true that the entire class is observing how you handle this student. I never want to appear as if I'm not in control. Usually the disruptive student just wants constant attention. The rest of the class realizes that also. I try to quickly respond to the disruptive student (so that it feeds his need for attention) and then move on as swiftly as possible. Take control of the situation. That's what the rest of the class really wants too.

Yes, the other students get frustrated by the disruptive "know it all" who is constantly trying to get the instructors attention. Students respect the instructor that isn't afraid to jump in and correct the situation.

This can really be a problem. A few times in the past I was looking for a mute or "kick" button in the conferencing software.

A couple of years ago, I was quite certain that a student was drinking in the Live Chat and acting disruptive. What I did was message him privately and tell him that he was being disruptive. I think it's better to handle it privately. That way they won't feel embarrassed or the need to talk back.

I agree with your approach to handle the situation privately whenever possible. The example you gave was a great one to illustrate how to confront the student without embarrassing him/her in front of their peers.

I agree with you, James. A private intervention is always better. The other students need to always see their Professor handle situations with grace and show each student respect. Students really need to see their Professor managing the classroom well. It gives them more confidence.

Hello Adeline:

Great method...I also would advocate directing them to their presence among peers.

Best,
Susan

Hello Pamela:

I have not had a pervasive problem with this, however, if I sense a domineering tendency, I turn it into a positive learning experience. I'll provide an example: If the student presents an argument and attempts to correct others by dominating the discussion, I usually look to their post, pick something that I believe might be useful for elaboration, and then I ask them a question about that more obscure topic. Often, the students seek challenge by the instructor, however, this can be positive. If the question is involved enough, they usually are concerned that the following week they will be required to once again perform extensive research activities. And I do take points off if they do not respond.

This method is usually effective and other students learn as well. And...you tend to maintain authority!

I also believe it is important to maintain presence, and where possible, interact with each student in the forum once a week. Due to class size this may be a hindrance in some cases. However, you have a choice to be in control from the beginning. If you exert that control methodically, it is purposeful.

Best,
Susan

Great tip Susan. Thanks for sharing with Pamela as well as the rest of the group.

This is a great strategy. Before I went so far as to deal with the student in this matter, I may first begin in the chat room and acknowledge that they are well versed in the subject matter and that they have participated heavily and then ask others to participate as well. I would hope that if the individual would get the hint that I want others to speak up and not hear anymore from him/her about the topic. If that doesn't work, then I would definitely have that tough discussion with them.

This can be a challenge because you don't want to discourage a student but it needs to be addressed. I think you also need to be careful not to embarrass the student in front of their peers.

The type of disruptive student which I have encountered more than others is the student who considers the online chat as a forum for his or her "stand-up comic routine"
It starts out innocently enough at firast and then becomes disruptive.
They are obviously attention seeking and looking for acceptance by a group. Sending them a professional but respectful e-mail asking for their assistance in allowing others opinions has worked in the past.
Watch for them to resist by not communicating at all in class once that e-mail has been read.
Requires walking a thin highwire.

Roy R.

One of the things I do sometimes, is just ask another student what they think, or if they have any ideas or comments on the subject, to redirect and let the know it all see that I am looking for imput from everyone without having to embarrass or dampen the spirit of the know it all.

Oh my goodness, I deal with this a lot. Especially when I am teaching how to use software. I'll hear "Why don't you just do it THIS way?" and I have to explain that most of the people in the class are just learning and need to go one step at a time. It's so frustrating!

Andrew,
Sometimes the only thing to do is just keep explaining (in private threads) with patience. Sometimes you can give 'heads up' in the class announcements about issues that have surfaced in previous sections.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Hi Carrie,

Your point about the know-it-all student actually being highly insecure is an important one to keep in mind. In my experience as well they do seem to be more interested in coming across to their peers as knowledgeable than in learning course content and skills.

Reminding myself of this point will, I think, help me in my efforts to remain professional and respectful in all communication with the student. Particularly, when the student does not feel the need to respond to me in a respectful or professional manner! Thanks for your insight.

Sign In to comment