Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online vs Traditional Learning

I would say it depends on the students study skills. Online learning requires the ability to work and study independently. An online student must learn how to manage his/her time, dedicate themselves to reading course materials and participating in forum discussions. Usually the online lecture takes the place of the instructor, however in this setting if a student has a question, it must be addressed after the session via email or contacting the instructor. In a traditional class setting, questions can be answered immediately and if the student does not understand the course materials, at that time the instructor can clarify.

Patricia:
Your observations are correct. In an online environment, both the Instructor and the students have to forfeit some of the benefits of a face-to-face learning environment. We pay a price for the convenience of learning in an online environment.
Satrohan

Patricia,

I agree with you. A downfall to on-line classes is the fact that questions are not usually answered right away. I think that it is immperative for the instructors to provide answers to student questions in a timely manner. At the same time, we have to try to get the students to understand that they should not what until the last minute to aks for help. It is important for the instructors to pay close attention to their students so they can catch any potential problems early.

Julie:
Your suggestion for Instructors to monitor students to identify potential problems is well taken. This is however, a time consuming task; neverhteless, it adds to the satisfaction of being a top notch Instructor.
Satrohan

As an instructor, I have my list of “warning signs” that a student is disengaged from the learning process. Do you have any suggestions of things to look for in an online environment that can help serve as an early warning system?

Josefer:
Please share your list with us and i will see if there is anything I can add.
Satrohan

While this is not an exhaustive list, these are some of the most common, in no particular order –

Lack of adequate personal support system
Financial issues
Functional illiteracy
Lack of involvement
Low self-esteem
Work not being turned in
Low past academic performance
Attendance concerns (regularly late or absent)
Unprepared for class
Regular complaining

Josefer:
These traits can also be transferred to an online setting. You certainly have no control over some of these impediments to learning, even though you may be able to offer additional support. For example someone with low self-esteem. The challenge here is for us to be able to identify .these kinds of shortcomings in a timely manner and take corrective action.

By monitoring students' participation, we can identify "lack of involvement", and "regular complaining". These could be early signs of a potential "drop-out".
Satrohan

I have recently started teachng an on-line course, and I'm finding just as challenaging as a traditional class.

Kelly
Please share with us the criteria on the basis of which you have concluded that teaching a course in a traditional classroom environment is just as challenging as teaching the same course online. Are both environments equally challenging?
Satrohan

I actually think online teaching can be even more difficult than the traditional classroom. I had taught at a small campus for 22 years. Students knew me and I knew them by sight often before they were in my class. They also knew my reputation as an instructor that expected them to be prepared but would also help in any way I could if they needed help.

I think the biggest adjustment I had was having to depend largely on the written word to "talk" to my students. You must be so careful in how you word the feedback not only to the group but also to the individual. You must show concern, caring, and wisdom in everything that you post.
I find that if a posting has created a misunderstanding with a student, I must immediately contact that student. I often do this by making a quick phone call to talk about the issue. That extra one-on-one works just as weel online as it does on campus.

Yes, sometimes reaching out by phone is a great way to clear up any misunderstandings.

By its nature, online learning requires students to be much more acive learners. They must participate in some way, shape, or form. This is not the case in some traditional classes. In those cases, it is possible to just show up, listen to the lecture, take test, and never say anything or participate actively in the class.

In a previous faculty development meeting they presented the statistical three main reasons why students prefer online instruction:
1) Convenience
2) Convenience
3) Convenience
Students will aclimate themselves to whatever demands (pitfalls) are imposed in the online enviroment for the sake of having that 24/7 convenience. The students are aware that they are purchasing conveniece when opting for an online degree. My student's always mention how they love to be able to study or "go to class" in their pajams.

Convience is very important for the adult student who has other obligations like family and work. When I was looking at my options several years ago for a doctorate program as a working adult with young kids at home, convience was certainly at the top of my list.

As an example of being pro-active with potential problems, our school is divided into 5 week sessions. At the beginning of week 4, as I have been monitoring their work up to that point, I send a personal email to each pointing out what I see as *troubling* and offer tutoring-type help to them as time/schedules permit.
This past term, for instance, in that week 4 *notice*, I pointed out missing assignments that I would accept (with late penalty and documentation if necessary) to not only improve their grade but also their present and future work.

Provided detailed feedback on what a student would need to do to improve their grade is much more effective than simply providing them with a midterm grade. Great tip Mark!

I have been an instructor of adult education in the traditional college classroom over the past few decades, but in the past eighteen months have moved into the online e-learning environment. Initially, I wondered how I would adapt to the change, but it has been refreshing as well as challenging! In the traditional classroom, the instructor can well assess the progress and participation of students and easily meet one on one outside of class or with small groups of students who may be having difficulties in some aspect of coursework. In the online environment I have found that being fully prepared with resources and learning tools...and making all of these essential items readily available to students in an organized, timely manner [via the Course Management System] helps them to be successful and to feel "engaged". Students "need to know the instructor" through consistent communication techniques [feedback on assignments, e-mails, portal processes and procedures] to ensure steady academic progress. The mode of delivery may have changed [traditional classroom to online]...but the objectives are the same!! *Communication is the key!!

If you are in a class, online or in a classroom setting, that does not require participation in any way, shape, or form, then that instructor and institution has not done their job. I have been in a couple classes that were basically lecture halls with over 300 people enrolled, and sadly, yes, one instructor was tremendously boring and unengaging. The other, however, even with that many people, found a way to make the subject interesting and involve the class. Now I am an instructor at a traditional school, and it is part of my responsibility to create and grade participation. I do not believe it's acceptable practice in the industry to allow students to just show up, listen, take tests, and not participate, no matter the format.

Welcome to the world of online teaching Myrna! Communication is a key part of teaching--both in the residential classroom and the online classroom!

Sign In to comment