Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Demanding Students and Grade Expectations

Have you found that students are becoming more demanding and challenging when one earns a grade less than anticipated? If so, how should we use our authority to handle these students.

I am not sure if it is becoming more of a problem, because I experienced it many years ago when I first started teaching. One of my first students in a public speaking course told me she should get an "A" on the speech because she worked hard on it. I explained to her the issues that she had with the speech (again), informed her the grade stood and gave her additional advice on how to improve. After the class was over, the student told me how much she learned in the class because I pushed her to be better.

I do agree that grade expectation is a problem. I think one of the ways you can address this with students is being very clear to students what you are looking for in an assignment and what you are going to be grading them on (I like to distribute a grading rubric). Having a variety of assignments and providing students with clear feedback on how they can improve are additional suggestions. If a student does go to administration and questions the grade that I gave, I can produce the feedback and the reasons for the grade as support.

I hope this helps.

I always emphasize to students that I am never persuaded by anyone's personality or how I may feel about them and that all my grades are based on work alone. I tell students this too at the beginning of the class. I have a rubric which I refer them to and explain where they could have improved. They might remain a bit disgruntled after this, but open revolution is generally averted. And I remain king of the classroom.

Hi, I agree that using rubrics helps students understand the various criteria being applied in the grading process. I find students are less likely to argue about a grade when I clearly show them the process by which I evaluate their work.

Yes, it is always helpful when we can avoid open revolution! :-)

On a serious note, being very clear with students on what you expect and then holding them accountable is important. When a student has a question about a grade, it is important to address it and explain how you came about the grade--much like you described above. Thanks for sharing Mark.

I agree with Mark's approach for dealing with grade expectations. I provide students with grading rubrics for all tasks at the beginning of the term and explain the grading process so they understand what to expect. In addition, I post a detailed general description on a FAQs discussion board explaining an instructor's typical approach to grading assignments along with tips for properly addressing assignment requirements. In advance of each assignment due date, requirements for the assignment are reviewed during a live chat session and in this forum as well as through other means, students are encouraged to seek clarification on expectations. When providing students feedback with a grade, I include the points earned out of the total possible points for each aspect of the assignment per the grading rubric so the final result is understood. These practices have significantly reduced the number of questions about grades.

When a student questions a grade or insists that a higher grade should have been awarded, additional feedback is provided in a timely manner. Reference is made to performance against the rubric for the assignment with additional suggestions for improvements. The act of responding to a student's concern shows him/her respect and can usually provide the student with more insight into the grading process which will generally stop any budding "revolution." For the rare few who continue to demand a higher grade, there is a firm and tactful end to the discussion with a positive focus on future assignments/point earning opportunities.

Some students want A's as a way of proving that they have done their best. Sometimes, it is hard for them to accept that everyone's work can use some improvement. Therefore, the rubrics are a great way to show the student that the grading is fair and impartial.

Dr. Betty Tipton

I agree that it is very important to be upfront with students from the very beginning about your grading expectations. Distributing the rubrics for all of the assignments is a great way to make sure the students know your grading expectations. Thank you for sharing your ideas on this topic.

That is a great point. Of course, when it comes to writing, it is a lesson we all need to learn eventually (that everyone's work can use improvement).

It will be more helpful if the instructor also remind the students to carefully review the specification and/or requirements for each exercise/assignment/project in addition to the grading rubric. Quite often I found students made mistakes in their answers due to misread or misunderstand the specification and/or requirements of the exercise/assignment/project.

The bottom line is the predominant student population type engaged in the online courses are working adults who see their course as a contract between themselves and the instructor for an "A" grade. They feel they have purchased an "A" grade once all the work is done. Having said that, up front rubrics are the key in defending the grade we provide to the student. I always present the grading rubric up front to the students when making an assignment for homework. It clears the path for no complaints or at least it levels the playing field for discussing a grade.

I have found students that don't read the directions carefully and therefore don't complete the assignment correctly as well. It seems like such a basic thing, but sometimes it is easy to miss something. Thanks for the comments!

In my experience, it is not just the online students that have the expectation of getting an "A" if all the work is complted, but residential students as well. One of the first classes I taught I had a student tell me that she should get an "A" on a speech just because she worked hard on it. I had to explain to her again what was specifically wrong with her speech and why she got the grade she did.

In my experince, I have found that by including the directions and direct feedback on how the student did not adequately adhere to the directions along with the numerical grade for the assignment greatly reduces the number of students who challenge their grade or expect an A. I also have a rubric posted, but I feel that repeating the directions clarifies the point reductions for the students. I have also chosen not to specifically indicate how many points could be earned by each individual portion of the assignment because the students then focus on haggling over points instead of identifying areas where they could have improved their work.

I do find students who make pronouncements on grade expoectations. Quite frankly, it makes my hair curl, but I merely restate that I grade each response on its own merit with consideration to the grading criteria and am unable to guarantee any specific grade. What I can guarantee, is that I will grade impartially.

I think it is the environment. Since the students are not face to face, they have more courage in emails and on discussions board.

I do believe there are ways to reduce grade appeals and challenges. The instructor needs to provide clear expectations and guidance during the course. This helps considerably.

Consistant and impartial grading is a great way to deal with this situation. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the topic.

People do hide behind emails and are willing to say things in an email that they wouldn't say in person. This can cause many problems--in the work setting as well as in online classes.

Providing clear expectations is one way to try and eliminate some of these issues.

Not too long ago, there was an article in the Chronicle of Higher Education that addressed this issue--students who expected a certain grade simply because they showed up for class or put in the time and effort on the assignment. (The article claimed it was a generational thing.) I explain in my expectations that no grade is given for time or effort. For one thing, I don't know how much time or effort was expended and for another, in the "real world" if the boss gives you an assignment that doesn't meet his/her requirements, it doesn't matter. In my experience, I've never heard anyone say, "Hey, these figures are all wrong and we can't use them, but thanks for trying anyway." As my other esteemed colleagues have also mentioned in this forum, using a grading rubric pretty much stifles any argument a student has about why s/he should earn a higher grade than was assessed. It's all there in black and white, clearly articulated...no surprises here.

Can you provide an example of a grading rubric or direct me to where I might find one?

Thank you.

Sign In to comment