Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Here is one simple example:

Attendance / Promptness
4 = Student is always prompt and regularly attends classes.
3 = Student is late to class once every two weeks and regularly attends classes.
2 = Student is late to class more than once every two weeks and regularly attends classes.
1 = Student is late to class more than once a week and/or has poor attendance of classes.

I did a Google search for "rubrics" and "creating rubrics" and found many examples and tools to creating a grading rubric. I would also recommend contacting your supervisor. He or she might have examples for you. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the question Cyndy.

Yes I am seeing this more and more. What I am learning to do is give students a run down of why they received the grade they earned. I explain everything and I am finding that this is working.

Yes, being very clear on your grading expectations is a great way to address these types of issues head on!

I have actually had quite a problem with this "grades for effort" expectation in a class I am currently teaching.

This is the fourth time I've taught this class, and the particular assignment that we worked on has been challenging for each previous class, but not impossible.

This current class just did not get it. My email box and chat rooms were flooded with requests for more information. For the first time, I issued extra information regarding the assignment, including links to find exactly the information I was looking for. In short, I made it easy enough that all they had to do was follow my links and regurgitate the information.

Even that was too hard.

This class has been challenging as a whole. I have a lot of avoiders and dependent learners. My chat sessions are well attended, but most of the discussion focuses on exactly how little they can do to get an acceptable (to them) grade. Since I have issued the grades for this last assignment, I have had about 20% of my class complain about their low grades, even after I sent them detailed feedback. Almost all of them talk about the "effort" that was put into the assignment - "effort" that I can not see, both because I am not there in front of them, and because the work submitted does not support that effort.

We do have a standard grading rubric in each class, and it's always available to them. I give very detailed feedback, along with offers to walk through the assignment. I am not going to raise grades just because they complain. I'm frustrated. Suggestions?

I understand your frustration Diana, but I strongly suggestion that you do not change student grades because students are complaining! It sounds like you are doing some great things in providing students with clear direction on what you are looking for in your assignments, but to be honest it is hard for me to know for sure. For example, I am glad to read that you are providing students with a grading rubric when you give them the assignment. But is the grading rubric clear and easy for the students to follow so they know what you are grading them on? It is difficult for me to know, but it might be something that you want a peer faculty member or an administrator to look at to provide you with feedback. Also, does each assignment have its own grading rubric? If not, you might want to consider it so that you can provide more specifics on what you are looking for.

I understand it is frustrating when students ask for what they minimally need to do to be successful in the class--I get frustrated by that as well. I also get frustrated when students expect a good grade because they worked hard on the assignment--even when they didn't do it correctly!

Do others that are reading this post might have some additional suggestions for you?

I agree that the instructor should emphasize the specifications of the assignment as well as the rubric, and remind the students to check both before submitting work. Clear and specific expectations should be stated in the assignment. Also, course materials should be accurate and sufficient for the class.

You are right Gina! Thanks for your response.

I have learned that rubrics are so important! For starters, it makes grading black and white, less gray, less subjective. Grading papers, for example, was one assignment that demonstrated this need for me. As a new teacher I did not make this clear and I had no real way of rewarding superior work and effort. For speeches, breaking elements (open, close, etc..)into categories that range from "expert" to "novice" and including brief descriptions of what that looks like is helpful for me. I too have googled rubrics- be sure to specify what kind of assignment-speech, paper, etc and you will find a wealth of information.

Rubrics are terrific! They are a great way to communicate your expectations to the students.

There are also some great books out there on how to create rubrics which can be very helpful.

Thanks for sharing Trudy.

I don’t know that I have seen an actual increase in students who are more demanding about grades. I have, however, experienced the “demanding student syndrome” throughout the years I have been teaching online.

Without fail, each session I have students who tell me they have a 4.0 and the “B” I just “gave them” is the only B they have had throughout the program. If they earned a “C” I might even get a nasty email.

I begin by reminding the student that grades are not given, they are earned. Each week I post a detailed rubric accompanied by assignment tips and guidance. When I reply back to the student’s email, I copy that information in the email to better illustrate where he/she may have fallen short. Additionally, in the grade book I provide substantive feedback (often ½ page-full page of feedback for a paper). I use that feedback to point out where additional concepts could have been applied to strengthen the submission. The more detail I provide in the grade book, the less likely I am to get a nasty email from the student. I stand firm unless the student can point out something I may have overlooked (such as a discussion board post, etc). Though firm, I focus on being positive and encouraging.

Grades are earned by students; they are not given by the teacher. I think that is an important distinction that some students forget.

As you point out Jennifer, a rubric is a great way to provide students guidance on what the assignment is going to be graded on before it is turned in as well as a great way for the teacher to provide specific feedback to a student.

Thanks for your sharing your ideas!

I have encountered students who feel they pay a high price for education therefore they should be awarded a high grade. This contradicts learning and what the goal should be. One thing that concerns me is when you have a student who submits poor work and they state they are an "A" student. This is setting up the student for unrealistic expectations and makes it harder for instructors to grade in a way that will push the student to reach a certain bar.

I find that students that demand more, want less work. Being prepared shows students a great start and to lead by example. Designing activities that help groups build community and learn to work effectively together is also an important learning takeaway for me. Because students in online classes are typically working adults, I’ve learned to remain open when a student “disappears” or demonstrates subpar involvement. These students may have real life reasons why they can’t give full time and effort to the class such as unexpected military duty, severe family illness or even crisis at work. It is important to talk with the student to gain an understanding of the real reason for performance problems and to be as flexible as possible in finding a way for the student to complete the class. As we all know, life is a juggling act and sometimes something that we are heavily invested in and want to happen has to be put in “second” place while we give out attention elsewhere. Online students are generally highly motivated to succeed and flexibility in completing assignments when possible supports them in achieving their goals.

I have run into this problem frequently. I teach online algebra. Most students are in the class because it is required for their major and have no problems telling me how much they hate math. After they fail a quiz, I will get emails telling me I am a terrible teacher, I should curve the scores, etc. Every time I offer to review their work and no one takes the time to send it to me. I guess it is easier to complain then to work.

Colleen

Dr. Heyman,

I have never taught a math class "on ground" except for in graduate school.

I am was one of those students who needed to see a problem worked out for it to make sense so when a student asks a question, I usually work out the majority of the problem, step by step explaining what I am doing.

Colleen

Great topic! I tend to use a standardized grading rubric which is applied across all my students to prevent subjectivity and any perception of unfairness. It is effective and matches the course objectives and assignment instructions. I definitely think it is important as well to provide encouragement and constructive criticism. I tend to use bullet points because I find them easier to read through. In addition to the standard requirements, like to use the ABA (also known as the Sandwich) approach where I would identify the student's strengths, give them opportunities for improvement, and end on a positive note. This way I can give the student feedback unique to them, but still have a boilerplate structure to facilitate and expedite grading. It is important to give consistent feedback in a template that matches the assignment requirements. This way every student has an equal share in success in the course (bleeds out instructor favoritism) and the student can clearly and quantifiably see where improvement is needed. Most importantly, there is still room for the instructor to be encouraging and teach the student the material.

Christina,
Excellent procedure. Keep up the terrific work.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

I really enjoyed reading through all of these responses. It is comforting to know that we are not alone with our issues.
In my years of teaching online, I have decided that my Type-A, GPA-obsessed students who have made nearly a professional practice of "wheeling and dealing" or simply pushing and pushing until an instructor gives in out of exhaustion are the most difficult for me.
I think that everyone has shared some great ideas--many of which I have in place (e.g. thorough rubrics, detailed and immediate explanations of my transparent and objective grading practices, clear expectations, etc.).
However, what few in the field seem to want to discuss is that we (I say this collectively) in academia are sometimes perpetuators of these demanding and challenging behaviors. Schools and programs and future employers demand exceptional GPA's but speak very infrequently about LEARNING being paramount. Likewise, instructors can become complacent, indifferent, or value positive student reviews of their class over fairness. I firmly believe that if a student pushes and pesters and threatens it is because they have "won" a similar battle with another instructor or administrator in the past.
So the question I present is--how responsible is the academic and professional world for some of these demanding students? Have we played a part in creating some of these expectations?

Tamara,
Great discussion topic. Have had a number of recent conversations about the faculty about the current generation of students and they profiles. Raises some questions about the learning culture in which the students receive their foundational education and how that translates into their post secondary expectations.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment